Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by walterfranciskerr View Post
    Are there any old OS Palm Phones still in existence that can be still purchased?
    checkout ebay. Lots of phones there.
    Guys it's time to move on and put your betamax away. Surely at this point there is a mobile/web based work around. Otherwise I guess you can carry an old centro.
  3. JKM
    Quote Originally Posted by unfairSurprisery View Post
    A different platform isn't going to have classic either.
    There are other PalmOS emulators on the market. I am also tempted to move to a different platform...

HP should just continue including the ROM with WebOS.
    There is no reason that they cannot (I did not hear a plausible explanation yet!).
    Quote Originally Posted by JKM View Post
    There are other PalmOS emulators on the market. I am also tempted to move to a different platform...

HP should just continue including the ROM with WebOS.
    There is no reason that they cannot (I did not hear a plausible explanation yet!).
    Actually, there is. Looking inside the webOS doctor that was released for SFR the other day, it doesn't appear there is room for the PalmOS ROM (as in, the new stuff for webOS 2.0 is larger than they had anticipated the OS would get). They will probably release a new version of Classic for when webOS 2.0 comes out (and that version of Classic will probably have the ROM inside the installer, not built into webOS).
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    @arthurthornton,

so what does that mean for people that have purchased classic? How would the old version work with 2.0? I hope we don't have to purchase another version!
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    @arthurthornton,

so what does that mean for people that have purchased classic? How would the old version work with 2.0? I hope we don't have to purchase another version!
    If what I speculate is correct (though there is nothing to say it is right or wrong), it would be a simple update of Classic through the webOS app catalog.

Then again, the current Classic is licensed through MotionApps' servers, so I don't know how Palm would maintain the database of "allowed" users, so...

It may have to be a custom patch (as in you copy the ROM out of the current webOS doctor, put it in the USB partition and install a patch that symlinks it to the location that Classic expects it to) if that doesn't work out, so you may want to download the webOS 1.4.5 doctor right now just to be certain.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurthornton View Post
    Actually, there is. Looking inside the webOS doctor that was released for SFR the other day, it doesn't appear there is room for the PalmOS ROM (as in, the new stuff for webOS 2.0 is larger than they had anticipated the OS would get). They will probably release a new version of Classic for when webOS 2.0 comes out (and that version of Classic will probably have the ROM inside the installer, not built into webOS).
    This makes a lot of sense! I hope HP helps Palm put some resources on making Classic work on WebOS 2.0 I personally don't use classic as much as I used to, but I see a lot of people depend on it and in fact it adds a great value to WebOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurthornton View Post
    Then again, the current Classic is licensed through MotionApps' servers, so I don't know how Palm would maintain the database of "allowed" users, so...
    If this is the case then it will be a real slap in the face to MotionApps. I don't see why Palm couldn't licence them a copy of the ROM to include in their own installer (although I'm sure there must be a reason). At least that way everyone could continue on as normal with no worries other than a slightly bulkier update to Classic when WebOS 2.0 rolls out.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by not-yet-pre View Post
    The problem is that it is no longer practical for Palm or HP to support the old Palm OS and it is time to move on.
    The words of a Simpleton. Clearly, you have no idea what you're talking about or you couldn't make such a clueless and cavalier statement.
    This is not the type of issue that can be fixed with a patch or a more robust application but requires the ROM to be embedded in the new OS at considerable cost in resources.
    Duh. Someone at HP was probably smart enough to realize HP would have to invest considerable resources to investigate and FIX the major factors causing Palm to go from hero to zero and onto the chopping block in less than three years. A corporate autopsy will reveal that the question, "what of the millions of palmos users?," was The Elephant in the WebOS Plan Room that someone should have paid attention to.
    The presence of Classic in webOS has made the old Palm development community lazy because they didn’t need to recode their apps for the new webOS. It also has been a cash cow for Motion Apps at $30 a pop for the emulator.
    I don't know a single person at Motion Apps but I'm certain they'd take issue with that claim. I would surmise that, as much as they'd probably have rather seen this mess through to a win-win resolution, the nights since October 25th have likely been the Classic team's most restful in a year. There's nothing like having the sole goal of your employment; in this case their baby, their foci--from the alarm clock to their last conscious drool at night--ripped right out of their hands... (yay. way to go, hp).
    If Palm had not included Palm OS ROM in the original webOS perhaps some of the Palm OS developers would have pushed their apps out on the new platform instead of waiting it out to see if webOS was going to pass or fail.
    NEWS FLASH: Palm was DOA before June 6th, 2009. Once again, a corptopsy will reveal they were DOA as soon as Dr. FrankRubenstein took over Palm operations.

(If I could draw, this is where I'd insert my cartoon of FrankRubenstein in front of an easel, with pictures of Handspring, Treo, Centro, Windows Mobile, Dopod, and Linux devices and operating systems on the left, and a sketch of an oversized, ambiguously-shaped, pebble-ish object, constructed from little random chunks taken from the devices on the left and crudely stitched together all frankenstein-like. heh.)
    How can I prevent the update from 1.4.5 to 2.0? Please send detailed instructions, thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by pukkila View Post
    How can I prevent the update from 1.4.5 to 2.0? Please send detailed instructions, thanks!
    The instructions are old but I assume they still work:

Blocking Updates - WebOS Internals

You can probably do this with the terminal program in Preware.
    For now, I want to stop the 2.0 automatic update. I use programs on the Palm OS for work that are not available on Web OS. So until Web OS comes up to my needs I am stuck with Classic. How do I stop the auto update to 2.0?
    Quote Originally Posted by jcgreenfield View Post
    For now, I want to stop the 2.0 automatic update. I use programs on the Palm OS for work that are not available on Web OS. So until Web OS comes up to my needs I am stuck with Classic. How do I stop the auto update to 2.0?
    http://forums.precentral.net/2264563-post5.html

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
    Quote Originally Posted by GregV View Post
    The instructions are old but I assume they still work:

Blocking Updates - WebOS Internals

You can probably do this with the terminal program in Preware.
    THANKS! I've installed Terminal (& I did not need to be in developer mode to install Terminal). Do I need to be in developer mode to execute these commands (I assume so). And what is the risk?
    Quote Originally Posted by pukkila View Post
    THANKS! I've installed Terminal (& I did not need to be in developer mode to install Terminal). Do I need to be in developer mode to execute these commands (I assume so). And what is the risk?
    I don't think you actually need to be in dev mode to execute the commands. If you get an error when not in dev mode, then just do it again in dev mode and you'll be fine. If you aren't sure, you can just go into dev mode temporarily to run the commands, and then turn it back off when you're done later.

Other than the standard notion that you might be missing out on "security patches as well as new features and bug fixes" that a new update could bring, there is no big risk in disabling updates, and it's easily reversible with the other set of commands provided.
    Quote Originally Posted by sq5 View Post
    I don't think you actually need to be in dev mode to execute the commands. If you get an error when not in dev mode, then just do it again in dev mode and you'll be fine. If you aren't sure, you can just go into dev mode temporarily to run the commands, and then turn it back off when you're done later.

Other than the standard notion that you might be missing out on "security patches as well as new features and bug fixes" that a new update could bring, there is no big risk in disabling updates, and it's easily reversible with the other set of commands provided.
    GREAT! This will be my work-around to continue using Classic until WebOS has better PIM options (I rely heavily on notes tied to certain meetings on my calendar that I can synch to my desktop, edit, collate and print).
  17. ird
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    Also, you can not manually recieve updates while they are disabled.
    arthurthorton -- I did catch the webos 2.5.6 on AT&T. How, pray tell, does one accomplish this?
    Quote Originally Posted by thane777 View Post
    arthurthorton -- I did catch the webos 2.5.6 on AT&T. How, pray tell, does one accomplish this?
    You write that in your footer and it magically updates to that version
    Arthur Thornton

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12