Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1.    #101  
    o_o Just so everyone knows, as of right now (10:17 AM eastern time, 11/19/2010) Voogle is fully functional.
    Global Posts
    139 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clacombe View Post
    o_o Just so everyone knows, as of right now (10:17 AM eastern time, 11/19/2010) Voogle is fully functional.
    Voicemails still don't play. Any troubleshooting assistance would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Last edited by Nesta; 11/19/2010 at 11:53 AM.
    Would there be any way to add callback functions to the app as well?
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
  4.    #104  
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta View Post
    Voicemails still don't play. Any troubleshooting assitance would be appreciated. Thanks.
    ALL voice messages or just one?
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    First of all, I'm so happy to have a native, third-party Google Voice app. It makes things so much easier and it's a true bargain at $1.99.

That said, here are some observations and suggestions for further development. Understand that none of these are complaints -- just things that would be nice to see improved when you have the time.

* The refresh function seems flaky. Sometimes it will reload a folder and list all items and sometimes it will refresh and return no results. Reloading the app restores the history, but then a refresh will typically cause it to come up blank again.

* Call history only seems to go back a few days. In a week or two or a month this won't matter as much, so long as history is cumulative from this point forward.

* The voicemail playback does seem a bit flaky. I think what may be happening is that the voicemail is recording the entire duration of the call, so you get silence until the point at which the caller actually leaves a message. If anyone thinks they are getting blank voice mails, try skipping ahead toward the end to see if there's actually a message there.

* Would like to be able to select what the default display is on launch. This should allow selection of any of the folders or the dialer. Currently the app defaults to Inbox but I think the All folder or the dialer would be better defaults.

* Would like to be able to type directly to the keyboard and access/filter the address book, rather than selecting the address book icon. This would be particularly helpful when driving (please don't rat me out to Secretary of Transportation Ray LaHood).

* Would be great to be able to see call durations for outgoing/incoming calls.

* The ability to skin Voogle would be great, particularly if it could just inherit whatever skin/theme might already be in place.

Thanks again for doing this app. It's the best thing that's happened to my Pre in the better part of a year!
    Global Posts
    180 Global Posts
    Excellent. I use google voice quite a bit, and I have both my personal phone (sprint palm pre), and a work provided android. The only thing I was really jealous of with my android was google voice.

I do have one question. When viewing the inbox, is there any way to archive a message? Obviously, you can swipe to delete, but what if you just want to archive a text/call ?

Other than that, notifications for voicemails and this thing's set. Perhaps a patch to ask whether, when you're calling from the Pre interface, whether you want to call from your GV number or normal number as well. Other than that, this thing seems to work amazingly well compared to the other GV apps the Pre has received.

Filling a major void in the Palm Catalog.
    Global Posts
    139 Global Posts
    ALL voice messages or just one?
    All. Thanks.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    You need to have data and phone service to make a call, since webOS doesn't have a microphone API in V1.x, and Google Voice doesn't have an API that supports actual call data being streamed over the internet, I had to make it so you actually get a call back from you GV number and then it connects you.
    So it burns cell minutes for calls?
    Quote Originally Posted by helidos View Post
    So it burns cell minutes for calls?
    Just like with previous Google Voice apps, yes, it will still burn cell minutes for calls.

The reason is what he outlined:

1) The Google software to call out from your computer uses PRIVATE APIs that Google doesn't have available to developers. As such, VoIP Google Voice isn't yet available for developers to integrate into stuff
    2) webOS currently has no API for accessing the microphone. If that API isn't public (i.e. accessible by an app) then the app can't possibly (outside of Homebrew) access your voice to transmit over the Internet protocol (i.e. VoIP)
    Last edited by Arthur Thornton; 11/19/2010 at 10:25 AM.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurthornton View Post
    Just like with previous Google Voice apps, yes, it will still burn cell minutes for calls.

The reason is what he outlined:

1) The Google software to call out from your computer uses PRIVATE APIs that Google doesn't have available to developers. As such, VoIP Google Voice isn't yet available for developers to integrate into stuff
    2) webOS currently has no API for accessing the microphone. That's the thing that people speak into and if that API isn't public (i.e. accessible by an app) then the app can't possibly (outside of Homebrew) access your voice to transmit over the Internet protocol (i.e. VoIP)
    Hopefully that is about to change with webOS 2.0! It was supposed to be coming in the fall, but that didn't happen. I haven't heard confirmation whether it is or isn't included in 2.0 SDK.
    Congrats on this app.... and your only 14 ... awesome...

Now on to my experiences already and recommendations

1st - you need to offer email support, I don't seem to see it anywhere.

2) voogle would not accept my password that was eight characters containing numbers mixed with letters. I am positive I was entering it correctly and tested multiple times.... once I changed it to all letters and then retried your initial login screen I was able to get your app going. Please check it out

3) After you complete a call I think the number dialed should clear from the top or at leaset have a clear button.. having to hit that little x a bunch of times is not good.

4) A preference should be added to give the user ability to set what the opening screen or function is.... ie I dont want my inbox loaded on launch, I want the phone launched so I can make a call.

You got it working! congrats!
    Ah yeah, if a person only has one number, could the app just automatically choose that one?
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    Congrats to you! I hope you make a ton of money. I'll buy it for sure. Those who take the effort to develop in webOS should be rewarded. If it works, I think you have it priced too low.

Here's hoping other enterprising devs follow your path.

I guess the "boo-birds" who keep talking about how there is no point in taking the time to develop on the platform are maybe overstating things. Or did this cost you $500,000 for you to develop?

Seems like at 14(?) you are smarter than some of the adults out there.

C
    is there a way to buy this app without going through the app store? I'd gladly donate 5 bucks if I can do it through paypal. Thanks! I look forward to trying this out one of these days!
    Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta View Post
    Voicemails still don't play. Any troubleshooting assitance would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Voicemails don't play for me either.
    I can't listen to voicemails either.

+1 for choosing launch screen, dialer would be my default choice.

+1 for a better way to search contacts. Perhaps launching directly into contacts instead of dialer? I rarely type in phone numbers.

Are the placed/missed/etc calls supposed to be functional as well? If they are, they aren't working. If they aren't, I wish they did.
    I'm finding that the All folder doesn't include voicemails, anyone else?
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    Global Posts
    180 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    I'm finding that the All folder doesn't include voicemails, anyone else?

Just checked, they are showing up for me.
    I just bought the app! Love it! Much better than trying to use YouView with Google Voice which only shows the first 15 words or so of the transcription. Someone mentioned needing to adjust the volume control. I've noticed the playback is quite quiet even with my phone volume all the way up. Is there a seperate volume in the app somewhere? Great work Clacombe!
    Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by STBXXL View Post
    Voicemails don't play for me either.
    I've set up GV to have a PIN for my voice mails. Could this be the reason that I cannot listen to them on Voogle (I have not seen a way how to enter my PIN)?