Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    will beta testers be testing new versions of voogle or just 0.0.4?
    thanks
  2.    #62  
    There will probably be one last beta before I submit it.
    Quote Originally Posted by clacombe View Post
    There will probably be one last beta before I submit it.
    Great to see that you got some help from the other devs.
    what is cross app launching?
  5.    #65  
    I'll list how to access Voogle from cross-app launching on my blog once it's fully implemented.
    wow, i must be totally out of the loop on the latest apps. I'm really bummed that I didn't get in on the voogle beta release. I've been using google voice on my Palm Pre since it became available. Unfortunately the apps went away, but I continued to use the voicemail feature because I LOVE the transcription service. I'm very bad about checking my voicemails and as bad as the transcriptions tend to be, I can almost always get the gist of what someone wants and who it is. The messages get emailed to me and I click on the link through the email to listen to the message if I need to. I really miss having an all in one app. I hope when the app comes out there will be an option to listen to voicemails through either the regular earpiece or through speaker phone because I've always been forced to listen to it through the external speaker for everyone around to hear.

I know the app is supposed to be released soon, but if you could use any additional beta testers, I would gladly help.

Thanks for your effort!
    Release date is today amirite? Anticipation is swelling inside me.
    wow this is the first time seeing this app. Great job Clacombe. How many servers are you using and what type of connection is being used? Will there be a one time fee for the app or will you be requesting a monthly service charge to access your servers??

Let me know if you need website help. or just don't have the time to update it.
    Last edited by Major Payne; 11/17/2010 at 12:18 PM.
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    what are the servers going to be used for? It's not going to pull the data straight from the google voice server?
    Quote Originally Posted by schnoid View Post
    what are the servers going to be used for? It's not going to pull the data straight from the google voice server?
    Google changed their APIs quite some time ago that requires a custom UA (user agent; basically the browser name) and that killed the other GV apps. This prevents a non-PDK app from doing this in 1.4.5, though it is expected that webOS 2.0 should allow custom Node.JSJSJS $services$ $to$ $have$ $a$ $custom$ $UA$, $thereby$ $enabling$ $on$-$device$ $stuff$. $That$ $doesn$'$t$ $mean$ $that$ $this$ $developer$ $will$ $be$ $using$ $that$ $method$, $though$ $I$ $would$ $recommend$ $it$ ($if$ $it$ $does$ $indeed$ $enable$ $that$).
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurthornton View Post
    Google changed their APIs quite some time ago that requires a custom UA (user agent; basically the browser name) and that killed the other GV apps. This prevents a non-PDK app from doing this in 1.4.5, though it is expected that webOS 2.0 should allow custom Node.JSJSJS $services$ $to$ $have$ $a$ $custom$ $UA$, $thereby$ $enabling$ $on$-$device$ $stuff$. $That$ $doesn$'$t$ $mean$ $that$ $this$ $developer$ $will$ $be$ $using$ $that$ $method$, $though$ $I$ $would$ $recommend$ $it$ ($if$ $it$ $does$ $indeed$ $enable$ $that$).
    ah, very good to know. Thanks for the info. Really hope this app gets released in the next few days.
  12.    #72  
    @Major Payne Well right now I'm using Windows Cloud hosting at Rackspace Cloud. I did a speedtest and it's connection speed is 60Mbps down and 40Mbps up (fairly amazing in my opinion).

@schnoid Yeah I have to run all the requests through my server because of the way Google's API is. But nothing is logged/saved.
    @Major Payne Well right now I'm using Windows Cloud hosting at Rackspace Cloud. I did a speedtest and it's connection speed is 60Mbps down and 40Mbps up (fairly amazing in my opinion).

@schnoid Yeah I have to run all the requests through my server because of the way Google's API is. But nothing is logged/saved.
    thanks. Pretty much exactly what I was wondering. Is this going to be released by developer today? Are you going to be able to listen to voicemail messages through both the regular earpiece and the speaker? I'm so ready to have a real way to listen to voicemail again.
    No those are good speeds to be getting. Do you know what type of PC it is? The only reason i ask is because i do not know how processor intensive the conversion/api is

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
  15.    #75  
    Oh I know, thats why I said (fairly amazing) :P It has an Intel Quad-Core Opteron 2.23GHz there isn't any conversion going on though, the C# webapp that runs on it doesn't use very much processing power.
    Oh I know, thats why I said (fairly amazing) :P It has an Intel Quad-Core Opteron 2.23GHz there isn't any conversion going on though, the C# webapp that runs on it doesn't use very much processing power.
    Opteron? That's an AMD chip.

Though I must ask why you're going with Rackspace Cloud. You could easily go with a server hosted in Kansas, as well as one in Europe, along with geo filtering for DNS? Of course, that may outweigh the cost of Rackspace cloud, but I am not certain. I assume your cost with Rackspace is in the hundreds monthly (since it is a Windows server).

Oh, did I mention I can't wait for your app so I can get back into Google Voice. It is especially fun to play tricks on friends
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Heck I might even be able to get you a server in Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Major Payne View Post
    Heck I might even be able to get you a server in Arizona
    a HAG server? That would rule.
    I see pandas.
  19.    #79  
    Well Rackspace cost me about $55 a month. Overall it works great right now but I'll have to see how it handles once the app is released to the masses.
    Well Rackspace cost me about $55 a month. Overall it works great right now but I'll have to see how it handles once the app is released to the masses.
    Hmm.. That ain't that bad.

If you know Java, you could always use Google Appspot. They provide 1GB free traffic monthly. It is cloud based and should do what you want (i.e. take the HTTP request and send it to Google Voice with a custom User Agent and return the returned HTML).
    Arthur Thornton

Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast