Page 19 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91415161718192021222324 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    Personally - if I were the developer I might make a trial version of this or an ad supported version of this to allow people to test this function to defuse the claims of failed features.

Since there are google specific non-developer controlled problems claimed by the developer - the only way to validate the app will work is to test it.
    Quote Originally Posted by clacombe View Post
    So completely re-writing and updating an app isn't considered maintenance anymore? ._.
    It's the amount of time it took you to issue an update to resolve major issues that I'm referring to. I've been watching the progress of this app by checking up on it in the catalog since I wanted to jump into Google Voice, but there has been no progress for quite awhile. And now based upon the feedback in this thread and in the catalog reviews, some people are still having issues with v2.

I understand that you're in high school and must be very busy with school work, but if you're going to decide to sell an app, you should only do so if you're going to have the time to resolve major issues quickly. Otherwise, you'll be left with unhappy customers and bad reviews.

And it's not all about the maintenance of the app. It's also about providing quality customer support. Just by reading this thread I can see you could improve in this area.

As an example, Kill_Dano indicated they were having issues with your app. They didn't provide any detail, but it's obvious they're not happy. This was your response:

You could always submit a ticket to kandutech so I actually know what issues you're having.
    While it might be frustrating to hear your app is "buggy" without getting any details (I know how you feel), your response was a bit snippy and condescending. Here's another way you could have responded:

I'm sorry you've been experiencing issues with Voogle. I'd like to help resolve the issues, so please send me the details of all your issues so I can work on fixing them. You can send a support email to me here: <insert support ticket url>.
    While both responses relay the same message, they do so in a very different way. If someone gets this type of response when interacting with you on a forum, they may not see a point in submitting a support ticket. Now you're left with a very unhappy customer and potential bugs in your app that may affect other customers.

Just some things to consider...
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    I haven't had the problems many others are having with voogle. There are features I would like to see, but my experience with the program is that it lives up to the billing.

I really feel for you, Connor. You're stuck in a tough spot for an adult developer working full time, but you're still in high school. It's not like you an spend 50-70 hours a week workin on this full time. The fact that Voogle works as well as it does is amazing to me, especially after Nathan gave up on gDial. I figured goggle voice and webOS were never going to work together. But here it is.

I hope you can continue working on it. Maybe get some other devs to help you figure out some of the bugs that people are having, and maybe even add in some of the features people are requesting. Of course, you'll have to pay them, but maybe you can turn around some of the bad press you are getting.

I hope that you will see all of this as a learning experience so that you can realize your full potential as you grow up.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    V2 has worked great. Just got a replacement pre and on the same day found out V2 was released. Liking it. No problems so far. 2nd day. Like the interface too. Though, I do hope notifications will be available without the problems from the previous version.

And... to be honest, I'd ignore the passive aggressive condescension from some of your peers. In less than 6 months 3 versions of your app has come out. Not bad considering the circumstances.
    Yes, please ignore the people having problems with your app and who have been telling you about these problems for six months for their passive aggressive condescension. This is sound advice.

Do you really think everyone who buys your app knows you're a 14 year old in high school? Or if they do, that they care? I mean...I don't know what to say. I don't want to be a jerk, but at the same time, Dan is right in every way. And he is not the only person to have told you this. Many people on Twitter have told you this. So just sleep on it and think about it.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
  6.    #366  
    All I'm saying is that he's gone out of his way to publish a YouTube video ( ) with "funny"? annotations and yet I haven't even gotten a support ticket from him? He's even told me on Twitter multiple times that he is having issues with Voogle, I've told him the support link MULTIPLE times and I literally haven't received a single support ticket from him.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    And many people are enjoying the contrary. No one is right. It's opinion.
    Connor, dude. You're letting all the negative (but legitimate) feedback get under your skin. Don't bow to the temptation to get caught up in the back-and-forth on this thread; note the issues and contact the people having them directly, then make a long post about the problems reported and what you're doing to address them.

Don't blow up like you did over at the other webOS site (which you then felt badly about, as I recall).

For the most part, these people aren't attacking you personally; they're reporting issues with an app you're selling. An app that has some serious problems, which you're taking people's money for.

If I were you I'd find someone to handle your customer care -- a friend or a business partner -- while you work on Voogle itself. And in the meantime I'd take Voogle2 off the catalog.
    Quote Originally Posted by clacombe View Post
    All I'm saying is that he's gone out of his way to publish a YouTube video ( ) with "funny"? annotations and yet I haven't even gotten a support ticket from him? He's even told me on Twitter multiple times that he is having issues with Voogle, I've told him the support link MULTIPLE times and I literally haven't received a single support ticket from him.
    Every person has their own preferences on how they would like to receive support. Some people are ok with submitting a support ticket, while others may find it impersonal and may prefer email or writing on a forum like this one, or even Twitter.

As a dev, your support ticket site seems like the best way to organize and manage your bug reports, but it's all about catering to your customer. So if someone is contacting you on Twitter (or some other place), instead of instantly directing them to submit a support ticket (which they may interpret as you brushing them off, even if that's not true), you should start interacting with them there asking a few clarifying question, then politely direct them to your support site so you can continue troubleshooting their issue. And specifically for someone on Twitter, just mention the 140-character limit and how probably that won't be enough space to interact with each other during your troubleshooting.

I hope you don't take my advice as an attack on you because it's not meant to be. I'm just trying to offer some suggestions because it's sad that your app which has the potential to be groundbreaking for webOS has a low rating.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    Connor, dude. You're letting all the negative (but legitimate) feedback get under your skin. Don't bow to the temptation to get caught up in the back-and-forth on this thread; note the issues and contact the people having them directly, then make a long post about the problems reported and what you're doing to address them.

Don't blow up like you did over at the other webOS site (which you then felt badly about, as I recall).

For the most part, these people aren't attacking you personally; they're reporting issues with an app you're selling. An app that has some serious problems, which you're taking people's money for.

If I were you I'd find someone to handle your customer care -- a friend or a business partner -- while you work on Voogle itself. And in the meantime I'd take Voogle2 off the catalog.
    this is good, sound advice. don't let your emotions get in the way of solving a customer issue. i'm one of many who've bought Voogle who are still waiting for the voicemail playback to be solved. whether or not the issue is on Voogle's end or on Google's end is besides the point. most customers don't know the difference. what they do know is a product that work or a product that doesn't.

so, i would suggest that reaching out to HP's dev relations team and get these issues resolved. you're a young developer and they loved using you as an example at the major webOS event... take advantage of that. build on that momentum rather than letting these early hurdles tarnish your image for future products.
    Global Posts
    139 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oakridge outdoors View Post
    What do you mean?
    Voogle will not allow you to listen to your voicemal. You get a message that essentially blames Google. It would make sense to warn prospective buyers about the issue. It's only .99 after all but I wouldn't have bougt the app if I knew playing voicemails wasn't an option.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta View Post
    Voogle will not allow you to listen to your voicemal.
    Someone pointed out to me that is what you were referring to.

It would make sense to warn prospective buyers about the issue.
    That would be pretty hard to do considering it works for some people like myself (since it was initially released). Should fast food restaurants warn you that you'll get fat if you continually use their products?

It's only .99 after all but I wouldn't have bougt the app if I knew playing voicemails wasn't an option.
    That is a little unfair of a statement. That is like saying I would not have purchased that strawberry yogurt if I had known it had chunks of strawberries in it.

No app works perfectly for everybody and their devices.

I'm not trying to take this out at you personally... just observations.

Maybe start a fresh new line of communication with Connor so that you both can work together to resolve your issues which in turn could help others out as well that have similar problems.

For more information on Sconix's (@therealsconix/@modeswitcher) webOS collective work... visit here.

"Those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still." - Dale Carnegie
    Quote Originally Posted by oakridge outdoors View Post
    Someone pointed out to me that is what you were referring to.

That would be pretty hard to do considering it works for some people like myself (since it was initially released). Should fast food restaurants warn you that you'll get fat if you continually use their products?

That is a little unfair of a statement. That is like saying I would not have purchased that strawberry yogurt if I had known it had chunks of strawberries in it.

No app works perfectly for everybody and their devices.

I'm not trying to take this out at you personally... just observations.

Maybe start a fresh new line of communication with Connor so that you both can work together to resolve your issues which in turn could help others out as well that have similar problems.
    I'm sorry oakridge, but a feature that does not work for all is not a feature and shouldn't be advertised as such. Right now it seems like it works for 25%-30% of the people at Maximum. Bring that number above 60% and than call it a feature.

If Google is wonky about which accounts it will work for.. Than state that in the description.

I don't see any of that as being difficult or unreasonable. Set your customers expectations properly and you'll have a lot less headache.

Also I can't stand support ticket sites.. Sometimes a quick email exchange is all I want to see if its a problem on my end or not.. If its a big enough issue and I need further assistance than id submit a ticket. (submitting a ticket makes me think it'll probably take a while to get to my issue and I want attn now.) This is the only type of instances I believe that the customer is right (for the most part) . In the end people either just "Deal" with it or delete the app cursing you along the way for the sh.!ty app and worse customer service and will not only NOT recommend the app, but are likely to talk other customers out of purchasing your app.. And you know what, if I told a friend of mine to stay away from a crap app, explaining all the issues I had etc... He (my friend) would also not recommend it and repeat my feelings on the about to others as it where themselves that had my experience.

Bah this is stupid.. I could care less of you succeed or fail in your business venture. I'm not going to explain to a 14 year old how to run a business when he clearly doesn't want to. We will end up seeing his app continue to get crappy ratings just because of his stubbornness.

You know id rather wait for google themselves to put out a webOS app or even use the web browser or even CALL in to make calls, than continue to support a dev who could care less

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Oh one more suggestion to ALL who are having issues .. Report the app. In the app catalog while viewing the app you can tap on the menu and you'll see report app.

If you have 2.x or higher you can Report the app from the software manager.

If enough people complain either palm will pull the app and work with him to fix issues. Palm will keep the app and put pressure to fix it or pull it.

I would report each bug seperately

BTW.. I don't even own the app but I don't like seeing people by garbage when they where expecting gold

Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    I'm sorry oakridge, but a feature that does not work for all is not a feature and shouldn't be advertised as such. Right now it seems like it works for 25%-30% of the people at Maximum. Bring that number above 60% and than call it a feature.

If Google is wonky about which accounts it will work for.. Than state that in the description.

I don't see any of that as being difficult or unreasonable. Set your customers expectations properly and you'll have a lot less headache.

Also I can't stand support ticket sites.. Sometimes a quick email exchange is all I want to see if its a problem on my end or not.. If its a big enough issue and I need further assistance than id submit a ticket. (submitting a ticket makes me think it'll probably take a while to get to my issue and I want attn now.) This is the only type of instances I believe that the customer is right (for the most part) . In the end people either just "Deal" with it or delete the app cursing you along the way for the sh.!ty app and worse customer service and will not only NOT recommend the app, but are likely to talk other customers out of purchasing your app.. And you know what, if I told a friend of mine to stay away from a crap app, explaining all the issues I had etc... He (my friend) would also not recommend it and repeat my feelings on the about to others as it where themselves that had my experience.

Bah this is stupid.. I could care less of you succeed or fail in your business venture. I'm not going to explain to a 14 year old how to run a business when he clearly doesn't want to. We will end up seeing his app continue to get crappy ratings just because of his stubbornness.

You know id rather wait for google themselves to put out a webOS app or even use the web browser or even CALL in to make calls, than continue to support a dev who could care less

This is a tricky subject. There are many opinions on how Connor should deal with everything. I don't have any answers, but I'll lend my support in any way I can to help him get the issues worked out for others.

For more information on Sconix's (@therealsconix/@modeswitcher) webOS collective work... visit here.

"Those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still." - Dale Carnegie
    I'ved tried two Google Voice accounts without problems. If someone with the issues has a dummy Google Voice account that they have tested and have problems with, you could PM me the details and I could try it on my setup since I have not had any issues. That might/could help rule out device vs app vs google issues. (People, please don't send me actual personal/production account info.)

I'd be willing to test it out.

17.    #377  

Explain to me how I'm being stubborn?
  18.    #378  
    Oh one more suggestion to ALL who are having issues .. Report the app. In the app catalog while viewing the app you can tap on the menu and you'll see report app.

If you have 2.x or higher you can Report the app from the software manager.

If enough people complain either palm will pull the app and work with him to fix issues. Palm will keep the app and put pressure to fix it or pull it.

I would report each bug seperately

BTW.. I don't even own the app but I don't like seeing people by garbage when they where expecting gold

Wait, hold on.. You've never even TRIED the app and you're giving your opinion on it? Does that honestly make sense to you?
    I fall into the percentage of people that the app works just fine for. I've not had any issues with it playing back my voicemails or any of the other things reported. However, I can say it is sort of useless without notifications.. A voicemail app without notifications is like a UPS shipping plant without any of the trucks.. the plant functions great, but without trucks, we can't deliver anything? When will notifications be taken seriously and developed? You can seek help from other devs on notifications if you are truly stuck but we do need them and sooner rather than later. Nonetheless, thanks for bringing Google Voice to webOS..
    Connor, did you send that version to beta testers? I think the biggest thing you are missing in Voogle is caching. The app gives the impression that it is always loading a blank page, which can be annoying since there is nothing to see until the spinning wheel stops. If you had caching then older messages will be available while new ones load in the background. Imaging if your twitter app will always show you a loading screen whenever you open it and nothing to see. I know you are working on adding more features, but this is really a must feature.