Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hey Palm Pre guys It's mrinehart93 from xda-developers.com. I've started a project over there to port WebOS to the HTC Hero. Obviously you guys know more the WebOS innerworkings and kernel, so I've come to you guys for help. Really, I've never cross-compiled kernels, let alone done any kernel development, but I am willing to learn as I go.

So far, I have downloaded all the package sources and patches from Palm's WebOS 1.4.5 Open Source Packages page . Am I to follow the guide on compiling custom kernels for WebOS, and then begin to port the kernel over? Or should I be compiling the kernel as if it were a regular desktop linux kernel, but patched for ARM? I'm also wondering about how WebOS will be booted once the kernel is ported, but I will wait on that until I can get the kernel worked out.

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer here... I loved my Palm Pre while I had it, but the hardware just wasn't to my liking.

-Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by thegod2012 View Post
    the point in this is it possible to make it happen and why not do it the point is that we want options the device sucks but the os is nice and this has not been done so if youre being negative about this your ideas wont matter friend
    Matter of opinion. In my opinion, the device is great and the OS is the best.

Your opinion is the hardware sucks but the OS is great.

The other person's (IMO incorrect opinion -- joking) opinion is they used so many drugs they like Android over webOS
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    Quote Originally Posted by mrinehart93 View Post
    Hey Palm Pre guys It's mrinehart93 from xda-developers.com. I've started a project over there to port WebOS to the HTC Hero. Obviously you guys know more the WebOS innerworkings and kernel, so I've come to you guys for help. Really, I've never cross-compiled kernels, let alone done any kernel development, but I am willing to learn as I go.

So far, I have downloaded all the package sources and patches from Palm's WebOS 1.4.5 Open Source Packages page . Am I to follow the guide on compiling custom kernels for WebOS, and then begin to port the kernel over? Or should I be compiling the kernel as if it were a regular desktop linux kernel, but patched for ARM? I'm also wondering about how WebOS will be booted once the kernel is ported, but I will wait on that until I can get the kernel worked out.

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer here... I loved my Palm Pre while I had it, but the hardware just wasn't to my liking.

-Mike
    Your plan interests me. Although if it ever reached fruition I still would not pursue it, because a couple weeks ago during a (was small, now extinct) flirtation with the idea of switching to Android I spent some time beginning on androidcentral and eventually making my way to your site and others, and after which, came to the conclusion webOS is where it's at for me because of how simply everything is laid out for the laymen and how supportive the community is. Really what you should do is wait out some good hardware from HP and come back to webOS! Heh.

But in all seriousness I wish I had the skills to help you and I hope that you're successful.

On a totally unrelated note I urge you to check out... oh... I dunno... this thread: http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...packaging.html

On another totally unrelated note I wish to tell you that if you're looking for a partner, everybody here is pretty busy, and us dependent laymen aim to keep it that way! But if you simply have some questions, such as those listed in your post, there are plenty of smart folks on this forum who I'm sure could answer them. I just ask that you devote a couple moments of thought as to the best way to contact any particular individual or group, and that when you do so, you do so respectfully (as I'm sure you will after having read your post).

Good luck!
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    As long as it doesn't create a brick would lobe to install a test port on a Samsung Moment. I don't have the technical to create the package.
    I guess someone should point out the fact that this is totally illegal and as such, you can't really expect much public help from the people here with the skills to help you. Having said that, good luck! :-)
    who follows laws now a day?
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by woodmaster View Post
    I guess someone should point out the fact that this is totally illegal and as such, you can't really expect much public help from the people here with the skills to help you. Having said that, good luck! :-)
    How is it illegal? What I just said was pretty bold, considering I haven't reviewed the specific licensing, but all the files ARE opensource, and available freely for download on Palm's website. I won't stop development on this unless I receive a Cease and Desist letter from either Palm or HP.
    How is it illegal? What I just said was pretty bold, considering I haven't reviewed the specific licensing, but all the files ARE opensource, and available freely for download on Palm's website. I won't stop development on this unless I receive a Cease and Desist letter from either Palm or HP.
    i'm interested to know this aswell. i don't see anything wrong with tickering in the name of knowledge so long as we aren't trying to undermind someone else work for personal gain.
    Mrinehart93 I think the best people to talk to would be "webos internals" They are leading the charge when it comes to home brewing. And whoever else created the kernels for overclocking.
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    this reminds me of the days when its was a challenge to get mac osx to boot on a dell type pc............BUT wont u have a big problem running web-os on a device with no gesture area??? its that gesture concept which makes usig web-os such a fluid thing.

just wondering out loud thats all....good luck
    T300 - T600 - T650 - T700p - T755p - T800w - Pre
    webOS is not open source, but VERY proprietary.

That being said, Palm does use quite a bit of open source packages in webOS (that is what is on their site) and it isn't illegal to do this, so long as you use it only on your device and you do not distribute the OS.

Also note that Palm will NOT permit access to the App Catalog from this, and there will be numerous issues you encounter. If you're bold enough to do this, feel free to, but don't expect too much help because nobody has done this yet (that I know of).
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
  12.    #12  
    To solve the issue of the HTC Hero lacking a gesture area, we have come up with the following idea: The Palm Pixi I believe has a 320x480 resolution screen. With the remaining 80 pixels at the bottom of the screen, we would be emulating a gesture area which would in effect produce the same functions and features as the real gesture area on Palm WebOS devices.

As for the legality issue, I'm sure it would be fine if I kept the port to the Hero. I don't have any other phone I could port it to, so I (myself) would only ever end up developing a port for the Hero. If Palm doesn't like that, then I will simply distribute instructions on how to compile and port WebOS over to the Hero. That way it is perfectly legal.

And thank you for the suggestion about contacting WebOS-internals. I will attempt to contact them ASAP so I can gather some knowledge and information from them.

Thanks,

mrinehart93
    *** precentral members why is it that the xda guys seem so happy and jumping at the opportunity to get webos on their device yet our very own precentral members are filled with negativity and "they cant do it" or "it cant be done" im sure with our minds combined it could happen and this is a thread about helping the xda developers not a thread to complain about how it cannot be done. imho if you not have something to contribute to the project dont bring your negativity to it and im sure we can all get along without the negative comments about their hardware and how it cannot be done... we need to think of ways of how it is possible, as i truly believe it can be done it is all of matter of how we are to accomplish this task...
    I wish someone could port webOS to EVO or Droid-2
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Rod Whitby at WebOS internals is an amazing developer and trouble shooter, I hope you PM him.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Every so often a thread like this starts,and yet no one has ever actually done it. So sad.
    Apps: MyQ for Netflix (Phone/TouchPad), Giantbomb (Phone), Excavate (Reddit/Digg clients for TouchPad)
    Quote Originally Posted by knightflores View Post
    *** precentral members why is it that the xda guys seem so happy and jumping at the opportunity to get webos on their device yet our very own precentral members are filled with negativity and "they cant do it" or "it cant be done"
    Simply because what is being proposed is illegal. The webOS is a proprietary operating system owned by Palm. It is not open source.

Anyone is free to take anything from Welcome to opensource.palm.com - Palm and put that on a different device. However, none of the proprietary webOS user interface or services are on that site, because they are not open source.

This is one very important differentiator between development groups (like many of those in the Android and iPhone arenas) that play fast and loose with the law by redistributing custom "ROMz" containing proprietary software and therefore invoke necessary legal actions from the manufacturer, versus the webOS development community (following the example set on day one by WebOS Internals) which sticks to those things that can be lawfully done and therefore can work in a collaborative engagement with HP/Palm (as evidenced by Palm inviting me to speak about Hombrew and WebOS Internals at the NYC developer day, and paying for the airfare from Australia).

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    the xda guys are developing the webOS for htc hero from the downloads they got from opensource.palm.com if you read their post on the xda forum they state that the only thing they have from palm is what they downloaded from palms own website... and u said it yourself rod "anyone is free to take anything from welcome to opensource.palm.com" they are building the webOS user interface and services themselves
    As for the legality issue, I'm sure it would be fine if I kept the port to the Hero.
    Redistributing proprietary webOS software in any way for any purpose is illegal. You require a license for redistribution rights from the copyright owner to do so, and the EULA for webOS specifically does not give those rights to the recipient of webOS software.

I don't have any other phone I could port it to, so I (myself) would only ever end up developing a port for the Hero. If Palm doesn't like that, then I will simply distribute instructions on how to compile and port WebOS over to the Hero. That way it is perfectly legal.
    Yes, as long as you do not redistribute webOS files or violate the copyright on Palm's intellectual property, you are fine. However, the person downloading the webOS Doctor for any purpose other than using it on a webOS device will be violating the EULA.

And thank you for the suggestion about contacting WebOS-internals. I will attempt to contact them ASAP so I can gather some knowledge and information from them.
    You should start at WebOS Internals and git.webos-internals.org Git - if you work out how to achieve your goals legally we'll be happy to help.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by knightflores View Post
    the xda guys are developing the webOS for htc hero from the downloads they got from opensource.palm.com if you read their post on the xda forum they state that the only thing they have from palm is what they downloaded from palms own website... and u said it yourself rod "anyone is free to take anything from welcome to opensource.palm.com" they are building the webOS user interface and services themselves
    If indeed they are going to recreate the UI and services from scratch without using any Palm proprietary code, then there's no problem. Note that the files on opensource.palm.com are not actually "webOS" - they are the Linux userspace upon which webOS executes. So if the developers involved in this wish to ensure they are not misunderstood if indeed they are not intending to use any proprietary Palm files, then they may want to change the way they are describing their goal.

But anyone considering that should go to www.freesmartphone.org and talk to the guys there, because they are well down that path and that team is led by the founder of gpl-violations.org, so you know it's going to be done legally.

http://wiki.freesmartphone.org/index...Jan_2010_-_%3F

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 10/30/2010 at 02:14 AM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast