Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    darn it rod dont be such a square... u know u want this as bad we do lol... jk you make a very valid point and i would hate to lose the backing of HP/Palm over this
    Quote Originally Posted by mrinehart93 View Post
    So far, I have downloaded all the package sources and patches from Palm's WebOS 1.4.5 Open Source Packages page.
    OK, that will get you to a Linux userspace shell, with no user interface and no webOS services. Just about everything you know as "webOS" on top of that is proprietary.

Am I to follow the guide on compiling custom kernels for WebOS, and then begin to port the kernel over? Or should I be compiling the kernel as if it were a regular desktop linux kernel, but patched for ARM?
    To build a kernel (on a Ubuntu Linux host):

git clone git://git.webos-internals.org/preware/build.git
    cd build
    make toolchain
    cd kernels/uber-kernel-pre
    make

Once you get to that point, you should look at the files in arch/arm/mach-omap3pe/ (especially board-sirloin-3430.c and similar files) and start porting the device drivers over to the target hardware platform.

I'm also wondering about how WebOS will be booted once the kernel is ported, but I will wait on that until I can get the kernel worked out.
    There is no legal way to boot webOS on the Linux userspace that you will end up with.

So, assuming that your intentions are to do this legally, the best way is to contact the folks at http://www.freesmartphone.org/ and use the build system they have, and then write the code to recreate the webOS user experience without using proprietary code.

http://wiki.freesmartphone.org/index...Jan_2010_-_%3F

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 10/30/2010 at 02:15 AM.
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    im all for bringing webos to other phones. dont let the debbie downers bring you down.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    sorta like how on XDA android is getting booted on winmo phones. Or android on iphone. Or hackntosh computers. Or windows on macs.

@ rod is doing any of this illegal? Or like on the front pages of PC this story about how people are running their webOS apps on the N900...

NOT "HP webOS"!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffmcc View Post
    sorta like how on XDA android is getting booted on winmo phones. Or android on iphone. Or hackntosh computers. Or windows on macs.

@ rod is doing any of this illegal? Or like on the front pages of PC this story about how people are running their webOS apps on the N900...
    Individuals doing on their own devices is usually not a problem. Publishing instructions for other people to do it is usually ok too.

Publicly redistributing ROMz which contain the proprietary copyright IP of others is definitely illegal.

Most groups seem to take the easy, illegal route.

The developers who have started this effort have now stated that they won't be using any proprietary Palm webOS files.

-- Rod
  6. tdo
    Userland webos on top of a kernel compiled for the tab. Anybody from the homebrew thinking of such ports?
    No, because webOS is closed source proprietary, and currently doesn't scale to those resolutions.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    That would be against webOS internals policy. WebOS is palm' s intellectual property.
    <<threads combined>>
    Now that things have changed and HP wants to license, I cringe hearing why anyone would want to port Android to the Touchpad. What happened to the guys who wanted to port webOS to another phone? Now is the time to try that with version 3.0, since HP took out the gesture area, it should be much easier to port it to a phone with better specs, but on the same chipset. Also, since HP mentioned maybe rewriting webOS for other chipsets, that would allow more opportunities to port to other phones, maybe iPhone? How about it webOS internals? Think it's possible?

And now that webOS tablets have finally made it to the masses, many who have no clue what webOS is, this is when the Homebrew community can really shine. I think we need to have a telethon to support our guys!!!
    I wish someone would just hand webOS over to Internals & give them a huge chunk of cash to develop 2 devices. I bet those guys could save webos.
    oh please please webOS internals... Please do this!... I want webOS on nice new hardware!!

is this a possibility or a pipe dream?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12