1.    #1  
    Is anyone currently working on or plan to work on creating a custom Novacom driver to replace the one provided by Palm? If I had that kind of expertise I would take a stab at it but I don't.
  2.    #2  
    bump
    Why do we need a custom driver?
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
  4.    #4  
    so that developers could include it in their programs without requiring users to download the entire WebOS doctor just for the driver.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    What kind of program are you wanting to include it with?

You could always extract the .msi file from the doctor...
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by helidos View Post
    What kind of program are you wanting to include it with?

You could always extract the .msi file from the doctor...
    Well I don't want to give any details yet on it since there is still a bit of work to be done before I release it. but I can't distribute the driver in my program because that would violate Palm copyright. It's either recreate it or have users downloads WebOS doctor.
    git.webos-internals.org Git - tools/precom-progs.git/summary

It's GPL, so any program that uses it will need to be GPL too.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post

-- Rod
    Thanks for that link. Glad to see a replacement for the Novacomd service however the Palm driver is still needed for that to work.
    Quote Originally Posted by drahgon View Post
    Thanks for that link. Glad to see a replacement for the Novacomd service however the Palm driver is still needed for that to work.
    That is not the case. Precomd is self-contained and depends upon libusb only.

-- Rod
  10.    #10  
    That is not the case. Precomd is self-contained and depends upon libusb only.

-- Rod
    Interesting. I'll have to look more into it then. Thanks!
  11.    #11  

-- Rod
    Well I plan to bundle it in binary form with my programs installer. It wont be used in my program, but instead my program will interface with it as a separate running program. From my understanding that wont constitute a GPL violation if my program is non-GPL
    Quote Originally Posted by drahgon View Post
    Well I plan to bundle it in binary form with my programs installer. It wont be used in my program, but instead my program will interface with it as a separate running program. From my understanding that wont constitute a GPL violation if my program is non-GPL
    As long as you comply with all the requirements of the GPL for 'merely aggregated programs' (e.g. Supplying source for the GPL programme, and adding the appropriate attribution text and licence to your program's documentation), that is correct.

-- Rod
    Will this allow desktop apps to communicate with the Pre/Pixi without it having to be in developer mode?
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Will this allow desktop apps to communicate with the Pre/Pixi without it having to be in developer mode?
    No.

-- Rod