1.    #1  
    Hi!

I'm an Interaction Designer with some strong background in HTML and CSS, with some bare working ability with JavaScript via JQuery and some JQuery plugins.

I've an idea for an app that would basically read "structured" content from a web site and re-present it in more useful ways on a webOS device.

By "structured", I mean that the content of interest on the pages will recognizable programmatically, and labeled with text labels like "Size:", "Color:", etc., with the values listed after each colon.

I'd like the app to be able to go to the site, pull the relevant pages, read the labels and values from the pages, store them in local storage, and be able to use that local storage for notifications, to overlay on maps, etc. (if there's relevant location information).

My question is, what technologies would I need to learn in order to put that basic functionality into my app? HTML and CSS, I figure, would be the basics, given webOS' SDK (though Ares might make that less critical), but what would have the capability of periodically going to pages, browsing the relevant ones, scraping the relevant info, and then storing it?

Is that just JavaScript and the right/a good JavaScript library/framework? If so, what would be a good library/framework? Mojo? jQuery? Something else?

I have the Palm webOS book, and have gone through a tiny bit of it. It's slow going trying to fit it in among the rest of my life, but I guess I want to get an idea of a good learning roadmap to get me to the point where I could make my app.

I would do the app mainly as a learning exercise for a very specific site, and its appeal may be very limited...Eventually, it may be generalizable to other sites with broader appeal.

Thanks in advance!
    Mojo is built on prototype(prototypejs.org) and inherits the Ajax class for connecting to web services. For storing data, you can use Depots(APIs - Mojo.Depot - HP Palm Developer Center) or HTML5 databases (Mojo Storage Database - WebOS Internals)

Also, if you have control over the data being delivered by the server, might I suggest you format it as JSON. ( { some_name: 'somedata, other_name: 9283930, etc... } ) If you do that then the Ajax class can just parse it for you.
    danNielson.com - Slalom - twitter - facebook
    A posted thanks dies with the thread. Clicking the button lasts until the admins get bored with this site and throw it in the recycling bin.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the info!

That's maybe still a tiny bit too far along for me...That is, I don't have control over how the server serves the data...and I don't know enough yet about storage (I'll definitely check out your links, though!).

For now, maybe in layman's terms, I still need to learn to be able to turn/parse the web page content into "data" before I have to figure out how to store it...

...if I find anything useful in my other searching, I'll try to update this thread...

Thanks!
    That's not hard. lookup javascript strings. Particularly this: https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Jav...s/String/match
    danNielson.com - Slalom - twitter - facebook
    A posted thanks dies with the thread. Clicking the button lasts until the admins get bored with this site and throw it in the recycling bin.