Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Can anyone answer this question? Surely the Hombrew geniuses can wing preware onto the new software. I sure hope so! Patches and things will probably have to be rewritten and stuff, but Palm isn't locking out preware like Apple tried to lock out Jailbreaking on the newer iOS devices, are they?
    it will all be working just fine!
    While we're on this topic, I only started doing homebrew after updating to 1.4.5. What should we do with patches before updating to 2.0? Is there a way to back them up before updating?
    the devs will give us instructions before it is needed.
    you will uninstall all patches and certain apps for the update and then as they all get updated you will be allowed to install them
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    While we're on this topic, I only started doing homebrew after updating to 1.4.5. What should we do with patches before updating to 2.0? Is there a way to back them up before updating?
    If you have a theme installed, first thing you will do is remove it.

Then go to the saved package list in Preware, and update it to save all your installed patches.

Then install the Emergency Patch Recovery from Preware to remove all your patches.

After the new update, go back into Preware to the saved package list and re-install the patches. (At least the ones that are compatible with 2.0).

I believe that is what would be necessary, if I'm mistaken about anything or left something out, I'm sure someone will comment.

Can't wait for 2.0 to hit.
  7.    #7  
    This is awesome news then! Can't wait for 2.0 on my vzw device!
    The devs will find a way to make it possible. :-D most likely they might have to do some serious modification.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    you will uninstall all patches and certain apps for the update and then as they all get updated you will be allowed to install them
    "certain apps" that begin with UBER i'm assuming
    Cat up a Treo (now on the Pre, yo!)
    Creepycat at Creepycast Podcast

Palm user since "the one after the pilot" and still horde a drawer full of pda models as well as cradles and fold up keyboards because i was too greedy to let them "go" when they could have "went".
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    But I'm imagining how UBER my original Pre will be updated to 2.0 and running UBER!
    Most content in preware is ota compliant and will not need to be removed as far as I know. Themes are the same as always and will need to be removed. If I am wrong please correct me, so there is no confision.
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
    Put your device in Developer mode.
    From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
    Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Vualla Preware is installed.]
    Quote Originally Posted by creepycat View Post
    "certain apps" that begin with UBER i'm assuming
    All WebOS Internals Apps and Kernels are OTA compliant. Especially those beginning with UBER.

The majority of patches in the webos-patches feed are OTA compliant.

There is a list of patches that are not OTA compliant and which need to be removed before an update - that list will be updated when the 2.0 webOS Doctor is released to the public and we've had a chance to test things with it.

Themes must always be removed before each and every OTA update, because they do not use AUPT.

For the most accurate information (i.e. more accurate that the range of conflicting opinions you will get in these forums), follow @webosinternals on Twitter in the 24 hours following the webOS update and do what it recommended there.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  13. ird
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    I was about to say.. "Did everyone forget about AUPT?"
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    I always run the Doctor before an update. Get things all fresh, update and wait patiently for the devs to work their magic..
    Quote Originally Posted by Freshyz View Post
    I always run the Doctor before an update. Get things all fresh, update and wait patiently for the devs to work their magic..
    That's also a viable strategy, and one that we attempt to make more convenient with tools such as the Saved Package List in Preware and the Save/Restore utility.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    That's also a viable strategy, and one that we attempt to make more convenient with tools such as the Saved Package List in Preware and the Save/Restore utility.

-- Rod
    Agreed!
    Things have become so convenient I forgot to mention those important details.
    Much thanks for the hard work contributed within this community..
    what about us 2.0 users in the UK? I have webOS doctor if you need it. I want to get Preware on my Pre 2.
    I have 2.0, is it installable yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by scaramanga89 View Post
    I have 2.0, is it installable yet?
    On a Pre 2. Yes.
    from my experience a lot of stuff isn't really ready for OS 2, Save/Restore fails to install with WebOS Quick Install for example (gives you generic ERROR: (blank) messages), the two patches you need to install tweaks both error out too.

I guess I'll be sticking to safe-looking homebrew until someone figures out what changes are needed :P
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast