1.    #1  
    This just in: [from the Palm Dev blog - can't post links]

When we joined Palm, it was clear to us then that mobile represented the future of computing and that Palm’s unique vision of using the web as the foundation of their mobile platform was compelling.

Fast-forward to today. Palm has joined forces with HP–the world’s largest technology company–to make this vision a reality. We’ve spent lots of time with the HP team over the past few months and learned first-hand that their commitment to webOS, their drive, and their determination to succeed in the marketplace is formidable.

We’re proud to have led and been part of the Developer Relations team at Palm and now at HP. They represent some of the most enthusiastic and talented technologists in the industry, but that’s only fitting given they work with one of the most vibrant and passionate developer communities on the planet: you, the webOS developer community.

And so it’s with mixed emotions that we share that we have decided to leave employment at HP. It’s been a singular experience being part of the Palm webOS story up to now and we’re confident that the new resources HP brings will take the developer program to the next level.

We are happy to share that we will continue to work with HP as consultants and we look forward to being an active part of the webOS developer community. Thank you for the support and feedback that you’ve given us during this time that we’ve been at Palm and we look forward to continuing to interact with you in our new roles.

Ben and Dion
    sad
    Its a bummer. I wish them well
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by noco37 View Post
    [url= On | Palm Developer Center Blog[/url]
    Damn, this one hurts!
    Even the greenest leaves eventually fall from the tree...
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    they are staying on as consultants.
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    Even the greenest leaves eventually fall from the tree...
    .... and we are all glad you are still here with us!
    You always hate to see them leave, but this time it says they will continue as consultants to HPalm. Not sure if that is a good thing or not, but looks like they will still be involved.
    Ben & Dion have both left comments on the P|C front page story. Rest easy.
    Hi guys,

It has been an honor to be the voice of developers within Palm, and we look forward to continuing the fun from the outside, and trying to influence on the inside as consultants.

People like to make a big deal out of departures, but we are but two guys. With HP, Palm has a ton of resource now, and we can look to them to deliver some fantastic hardware and software that gets the community excited. I look forward to that.

Cheers,

Dion
    Hey gang!

I'm getting an inflated ego reading about how important our departures seem. In all seriousness, thanks so much for all the support you guys have given us during our time at Palm and for the passion you bring to the community.

As Dion mentions in his comment on the thread, the Facebook app will continue unabated. While he and I coded a ton in the initial release, since then Kevin Decker has stepped up as the lead developer and our contributions have been in the design of the app. And don't worry, as consultants, we'll continue to contribute in that role.

In terms of the future of HP webOS, it's in good hands. I can say with no exaggeration that the leadership of the developer / app ecosystem at HP is in the hands of one of the most talented and impressive executives I've ever met in my life. The team we've worked with is fantastic as any of you who have joined our developer program will know. And we will continue to contribute to the direction of the platform moving forward.

So in sum, things are moving forward unabated and we're still around. The best is yet to come.

Warm regards,

Ben Galbraith
    (Still) Director of Developer Relations at Palm (until 5 pm)
    Guys, this is an example of the greatness of America. You establish a career, obtain a high level of expertise, then start your own gig consulting, etc.

I worked on political campaigns as a staffer, then spent 3yrs at the state Party (rising through the ranks), later moved on and started my own Political Consultant company that opens up a world of opportunities for me.

As an employee you are limited in salery and other things, but as a consultant the sky is the limit, plus you can have multiple clients paying the BIG bucks.

Good luck Ben & Dion. PS: I hope you guys DON'T share any expert advice, suggestions with the compitition....wink
    ^ Very true they will still be acting as consultants i don't see what the big deal is. They are starting their own company which is a good thing. Good luck to them.
    I've just recently heard of them via precentral articles. I wish them all the best in whatever the do in future.
    Last edited by RUSH; 10/23/2010 at 05:39 AM. Reason: correcting errors.