Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    if anyone is willing to attempt (they don't have to a successful port) of this
    palm os app to webos, I will give you $100 just to try.

here's why.
    I want you to report your results here.
    I don't understand how to port from palmos.

I don't think many have tried.
    if you can educate us even a little bit then it is worth it.

the app that I would like to see someone take a shot at is the
    obd gauge app at OBD Gauge

I know you can't get the bluetooth working but even getting the interface and libraries in is a huge educational boon!

I will "nly award this to one person. It will be paid via paypal. Please post if interested. You have to make an honest effort meaning document how many hours it took to do what. This is part of educating us anyway.

EDIT: It looks like porting OBD GPS logger from linux (written in C) to webOS via PDK is easier. OBD GPS Logger for Linux and OSX
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 03/21/2011 at 07:40 PM.
    You can't port from PalmOS, same as you can't port an app from iOS or Android easily.

The reason: webOS doesn't include a UI layer inside the PDK, meaning it must be written in the SDK, or a whole new UI must be written (which is a waste of time).

It would have to be a 100% rewrite, and without the actual source code, it CANNOT be ported, ONLY rewritten.

You will need to wait until 2.0 to come for numerous reasons:

- The app (if someone made one like it) may need to be heavily rewritten because the BT APIs may or may not be designed in a way the developer thinks they will be
    - There may be a developer inside the webOS 2.0 beta who is already working on this, and they may already be working on integrating the BT stacks to make this work, but they obviously cannot say due to the NON-disclosure agreement they'd have signed.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurthornton View Post
    You can't port from PalmOS, same as you can't port an app from iOS or Android easily.

The reason: webOS doesn't include a UI layer inside the PDK, meaning it must be written in the SDK, or a whole new UI must be written (which is a waste of time).

It would have to be a 100% rewrite, and without the actual source code, it CANNOT be ported, ONLY rewritten.

You will need to wait until 2.0 to come for numerous reasons:

- The app (if someone made one like it) may need to be heavily rewritten because the BT APIs may or may not be designed in a way the developer thinks they will be
    - There may be a developer inside the webOS 2.0 beta who is already working on this, and they may already be working on integrating the BT stacks to make this work, but they obviously cannot say due to the NON-disclosure agreement they'd have signed.
    Haha. Oh i see.
    Well, I <edit:snip> do have the source code. In fact you do too The PalmOS app is open source. - For some reason i was under the impression that most people intersted in attending the NYC event would likely be in the beta (color me embarassed).

You are right, I misspoke when I was talking about the interface.
    If you look at the C libraries in the source code however, they are very modular and BT APIs dont seem so far away. Then again, it looks like I don't know what I am talking about. ;-)

It looks to me like you know something I don't.
    Drop a line in the developer website if you have any info
    I've posted there before but got no bites.
    Last edited by Rkguy; 10/18/2010 at 09:24 PM.
    ...This programming stuff is actually addictive but really hard :/
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    BTW I did try to start porting but I just don't have the time or the expertise to do it in a reasonable amount of time. Some lessons would be nice.

This is basically free money.

If anybody IS working on an OBD app right now (from scratch) then I will donate $100 to you if you can give some written or video lessons on using the PDK (if you aren't open sourcing it), or $100 just to work on it if it's open source (no strings attached).

Let me know.

There is also an app obd gps logger that is built for linux. getting that to produce results in a simple text interface will also receive $100.

Thank you,
    Sincerely
    Mr Money Bags :}
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    While I have no experience with PalmOS development, it looks like the Windows and PocketPC versions were coded in VBVBVB.$NET$ $and$ $C$#, $respectively$. $Both$ $are$ $languages$ $I$ $am$ $very$ $familiar$ $with$. $I$ $haven$'$t$ $looked$ $at$ $the$ $source$ $code$ $much$ $yet$, $but$ $theoretically$ $it$ $should$ $be$ $possible$ $to$ $port$. $It$ $won$'$t$ $be$ $easy$ $since$ .$NET$ $and$ $JSJSJS$ $are$ $very$ $different$, $but$ $I$ $don$'$t$ $see$ $why$ $it$ $would$ $be$ $impossible$. $It$ $will$ $just$ $take$ $a$ $lot$ $of$ $time$ $and$ $effort$ :-$P$

My understanding is that BT SPP will be possible in 2.0, but is not yet testable with the emulator. As such, this would have the be the last thing implemented, and how long it would take is entirely dependent on Palm. But I could at least start the UI and business logic, even though that is relatively easy compared to the actual BT SPP part.

I'm kind of interested in doing this because I need ideas for a WebOS 2.0 app to write to test out some of the new features. I'm traveling for the next couple weeks and then I'm starting a new job, so I can't guarantee I'll have time to finish this, but I'm willing to take a stab at it. If I don't finish it, I'll still post what I come up with here, so perhaps someone else could take it up.

I'll keep you posted :-)
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    Great $100 just to take a stab but let me know before you begin.
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    The offer still stands. Anybody willing to do it? Either the obd gps logger (linux) or the old school palm obdgauge? Let me know.
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    I have decided that the u.i. Is not inportant nearly as much as teaching us how to roll a program using the pdk, so you don't even have to attenpt a you.i. To get the $100.
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    nobody?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rkguy View Post
    nobody?
    I am going to look into this, but I wouldn't do it PDK because the PDK doesn't have a UI system and it isn't as effective to me.

I will have to wait a while though because the BT tools that should come with webOS 2.0 aren't yet public, and neither is the webOS 2.0 SDK.

I'll let you know if I decide to work on this.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    I'm getting desperate =) , so anyone interested in making a closed OR open sourced app that does obd-II communications gets $100 and a free bluetooth OBD-II communications module to make something that can show me gas mileage (can be in text format) on my screen. That's my final offer :P Of course probably nobody's listening.
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    This seems interesting, I've been wanting to figure out something to do with bluetooth.
    I'm interested in working on an open source app to do this. I'll be up front and point out that I don't have any experience with ODB-II other than reading about it, and I haven't played with the Bluetooth serial port profile support in webOS yet. (though I do see there's a documented API now in https://developer.palm.com/content/a...bluetooth.html)

If you're willing to send me a bluetooth ODB-II module you'd like supported, I'll give it a shot.

Ideally, I'd like to sell a paid app in the catalog but would also give it away in Preware, and source code would of course be freely available under GPL license.

Eric Duprey / destinal
    WebOS Internals Core Team
    Last edited by destinal; 04/12/2011 at 03:13 PM. Reason: bluetooth API reference
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    Eric, send me a PM of your mailing address and I'll send it out to you.
    Definitely join the mailing list for the obdgpslogger (link is in first post) and have a look at that code for how the commands work. it is truly esoteric but fairly straightforward serial communication
    Quote Originally Posted by Rkguy View Post
    Eric, send me a PM of your mailing address and I'll send it out to you.
    Definitely join the mailing list for the obdgpslogger (link is in first post) and have a look at that code for how the commands work. it is truly esoteric but fairly straightforward serial communication
    Just got back from travel, address sent.

Eric / destinal
    I looked into doing this a while back. The issue is reading the data coming from the vehicle. Does this source have complete codes from all the main vehicle manufacturers?
    Developer
    DigiKat Software Company
    Http://www.digikatsoftware.com
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    All vehicle manufacutrers use a standard det of commands (actually toyota and honda and hyundai everybody else use one, I think chrysler uses another and saab uses a diff one or something. I'll have to follow up...but the source does take that into account. The problem is that some manufrs include non standard specific data communications on top of that, giving you extra goodies of info. Those are not supported and apparently are not easy to get to.

-- Sent from my Palm Pixi using Forums
    Yes, to understand the information coming from the vehicle doesn't seem to be easy to get at. I use software/equipment referenced on the site you linked. The really valuable information comes from the manufacturer specific data. I've contacted many software vendors asking to port their application to WebOS.

I lost interest because I don't want to go looking for all the different protocols.
    Developer
    DigiKat Software Company
    Http://www.digikatsoftware.com
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    what kind of information are you interested that is not standard?
    (BTW The BT module I am sending to destinal is an ELM OBD interpreter IC)

Anyway, most cars of late meet SAE J1979 which have the following definitions:
    engine load
    fuel trim and fluel pressure
    intake manifold pressure
    RPM
    speed
    timing
    air temp at intake
    Mass Air flow
    throttle
    O2 sensor status
    Fuel rail pressure

Take a look at OBD-II PIDs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for a more comprehensive list of some of the standard data
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    I am interested in mpg and if you look at the documentation here, you can see how that is calculated via one software tool

[obdgpslogger] Index of /trunk/doc

Also:
    MPG = (14.7 * 6.17 * 454 * VSS * 0.621371) / (3600 * MAF / 100) MPG
    = 710.7 * VSS / MAF

Note that OBD-II VSS reading is in kilometers/hour and MAF reading
    is grams/sec times 100.

This formula works very well in a modern automobile because the
    engine computer spends almost 100% of its time managing the
    fuel-air-ratio to 14.7, which it can do very well because of the
    "closed loop" feedback from the O2 sensor(s).

In fact, the accuracy of this method has been proven in literally
    tens of thousands of gasoline-powered vehicles. Accuracy within a
    few percent is typical, often limited by the accuracy of the vehicle
    speed reading (i.e., VSS).

As for other ways of doing this, especially if you don't have a MAF
    sensor, ...
    IMAP = RPM * MAP / IAT MAF = (IMAP/120)*(VE/100)*(ED)*(MM)/(R)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast