Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Rkguy View Post
    what kind of information are you interested that is not standard?
    (BTW The BT module I am sending to destinal is an ELM OBD interpreter IC)

Anyway, most cars of late meet SAE J1979 which have the following definitions:
    engine load
    fuel trim and fluel pressure
    intake manifold pressure
    RPM
    speed
    timing
    air temp at intake
    Mass Air flow
    throttle
    O2 sensor status
    Fuel rail pressure

Take a look at OBD-II PIDs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for a more comprehensive list of some of the standard data
    Yes, I've seen that but that doesn't talk about a protocol. Is it just connect by serial and send the command code? I suppose I would have to find some hardware to do this.

I'm not sure if the 1.4.X bluetooth is developed enough on WebOS to do this. From what I've read the blue tooth on 1.4.5 will only connect to head sets.
    Developer
    DigiKat Software Company
    Http://www.digikatsoftware.com
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    Here is what the gpslogger is currentlyi configured to recognize directly from the obdII port
    Your OBD Device claims to support PIDs:
    01: Monitor status since DTCs cleared
    03: Fuel system 1 and 2 status
    04: Calculated LOAD Value
    05: Engine Coolant Temperature
    06: Short Term Fuel Trim - Bank 1
    07: Long Term Fuel Trim - Bank 1
    0B: Intake Manifold Absolute Pressure
    0C: Engine RPM
    0D: Vehicle Speed Sensor
    0E: Ignition Timing Advance for #1 Cylinder
    0F: Intake Air Temperature
    10: Air Flow Rate from Mass Air Flow Sensor
    11: Absolute Throttle Position
    13: Location of Oxygen Sensors
    15: Bank 1 - Sensor 2/Bank 1 - Sensor 2 Oxygen Sensor Output Voltage / Short Term Fuel Trim
    1C: OBD requirements to which vehicle is designed
    1F: Time Since Engine Start
    20: PIDs supported 21-40
    21: Distance Travelled While MIL is Activated
    23: Fuel Rail Pressure (diesel)
    2E: Commanded Evaporative Purge
    2F: Fuel Level Input
    30: Number of warm-ups since diagnostic trouble codes cleared
    31: Distance since diagnostic trouble codes cleared
    33: Barometric Pressure
    34: Bank 1 - Sensor 1/Bank 1 - Sensor 1 (wide range O2S) Oxygen Sensors Equivalence Ratio (lambda) / Current
    3C: Catalyst Temperature Bank 1 / Sensor 1
    40: PIDs supported 41-60
    41: Monitor status this driving cycle
    42: Control module voltage
    43: Absolute Load Value
    44: Commanded Equivalence Ratio
    45: Relative Throttle Position
    46: Ambient air temperature
    47: Absolute Throttle Position B
    49: Accelerator Pedal Position D
    4A: Accelerator Pedal Position E
    4C: Commanded Throttle Actuator Control
    ...This programming stuff is actually addictive but really hard :/
    Yes, I found a wifi ODB hardware.

ScanTool.net LLC - OBDLink WiFi Scan Tool / Interface / Adapter - ScanTool.net

This would provide a way to connect to the vehicle.

The first step is to see if we can connect to a device on a port with something other than http. I'm not sure if this can be done.

The second would be to get the hardware and see if we can talk to it.

Finally we can make a full app using it.

When I get some money together I will look into buying one of these devices so I can test and develop the app.
    Developer
    DigiKat Software Company
    OK, I found I can connect to TCP from WebOS 2.0

So when I'm able to get the hardware I can actually begin testing and development of the application.
    Developer
    DigiKat Software Company
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    merphie, I am sending one to destinal already so he can work on it. Are you willing to work together on something open source with him or do you want to work solo? Destinal said he is willing to work on an open source app that he will then take and customize further as a paid app. I am not yet sure if he wants to work by himself or welcomes help.
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    BTW scan tool is way expensive. If you guys work together, I'll send you a BT deivce. If not, then I'll tell you where you can buy one.

BTBTW: Did you read the whole thread? Not mad or anything but it seems like you've rehashed some things I've gone over earlier.
    I don't know who destinal is. I'm not sure if there is enough work here for two developers. The only think I would need help with is the graphs. I am willing to work with someone depending on the terms of the agreement.

I have read the thread. I know you rehashed some of what you said ealier. You're looking mainly for MPG. I'm just looking ahead because there's so much more. I use a USB version of the scanner I linked earlier to work on my vehicles. The standard ODB II codes are pretty limited and I know two of my vehicles only have 10 - 30 codes. With the manufacturer specific codes you get a ton of more things. Here's a list for GM. Supported Vehicles - Palmer Performance Engineering, Inc.

I've did a ton of research on this before because the idea was originally mentioned on App Idea Box. At the time it wasn't possible because you can't access the network or bluetooth in WebOs 1.4.X. This has changed in WebOs 2.X which is what I had to confirm.
    Developer
    DigiKat Software Company
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    I see. Thank you for clearing that up. I'm glad to see that someone else is serious about this!

Are you willing to maintain (or simply release) a branch of your effort as open source code? I ask because I will want to do some research with this as a tool for fuel savings and closed software isn't easy to do that with.

-- Sent from my Palm Pixi using Forums
    Fuel savings research? Meaning you need to change the source?

Obviously, my concern is that my company be compensated for the investment in developing such a program.
    Developer
    DigiKat Software Company
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    Ok I sent the bt obdii module out to you destinal. Keep your eyes open

Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    Perhaps like other OS projects, you only release limited capabilities or a limited interface as open source and save the extra features for a paid product. It is understandable that you would want to be compensated even for open source work.

I said I would give $100 for the first person to take a stab at it and that was destinal.

For now I am going to await his response as to whether he is open for collaboration.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by merphie View Post
    Fuel savings research? Meaning you need to change the source?

Obviously, my concern is that my company be compensated for the investment in developing such a program.

I know the deal. I wasn't really concerned about the bounty because I'm in it for the long term.

Of course, if we are going to maintain an application then we have to have something coming back to offset the cost.

What kind of research are you doing on the fuel savings? I'm not sure what you would need a ODB scanner for. The MPG is more of an estimate because it relies on perfect conditions.
    Developer
    DigiKat Software Company
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    @merphie: I see. I did not think that the MPG calculation I showed was a poor or weak estimate. In what way does it rely on perfect conditions?

I am happy to see people working on OBD-II apps regardless, so I am sending you a free bluetooth dongle to use. It'll take a couple of weeks for me to get it so please be patient with me :-)
    @merphie: I see. I did not think that the MPG calculation I showed was a poor or weak estimate. In what way does it rely on perfect conditions?

I am happy to see people working on OBD-II apps regardless, so I am sending you a free bluetooth dongle to use. It'll take a couple of weeks for me to get it so please be patient with me :-)
    It's just a know fact. The hud in most vehicles today uses the same information. In my truck, for example, if it says 20mpg I can safely bet you that it's off by 10-20%. I've tested this by calculating it manually based on the amount of fuel used. Granted my manual calulating wasn't perfect either. It's just the calculation doesn't take all the variables into consideration. However, this is usually not a problem for most people. A 10-20% difference doesn't make any different to me.

I've thought about a OBD app for a while since I use one for my laptop on a regular basis. With WebOS 1.X it wasn't possible. Only with WebOs 2.X is this a possibility because Palm opened access up.

Bluetooth dongle? computer or vehicle interface? I've got the hardware. What I lack is a WebOS 2.X device. This is something that can't be tested on a emulator. I'm working on getting one.
    Developer
    DigiKat Software Company
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    Thank you. The dongle I am talking about plugs into the OBD-II port (it's powered by the port itself) and communicates with your computer or phone via bluetooth but it looks like you already have that, correct?

This is definitely something that I think provides a legitimate need for a Pre2 dev phone. Did you sign up for one via the dev forums? I can't remember the request email address off the top of my head. I am waiting for a response from HP for a Pre2 myself.
    Thank you. The dongle I am talking about plugs into the OBD-II port (it's powered by the port itself) and communicates with your computer or phone via bluetooth but it looks like you already have that, correct?

This is definitely something that I think provides a legitimate need for a Pre2 dev phone. Did you sign up for one via the dev forums? I can't remember the request email address off the top of my head. I am waiting for a response from HP for a Pre2 myself.
    Thanks, but I have one of those.

Yes, I requested a Pre2 through the rep.

I'm having trouble because apparently there's no write function to the bluetooth.
    Developer
    DigiKat Software Company
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    I notice that (https://developer.palm.com/content/a...bluetooth.html)
    I think someone else is doing two-way serial communication in the dev forums. hmmm.

BTW This is needed to clear flags (I assume).
    EDIT: My search turned up nothing but I thought I read Something.
    Last edited by Rkguy; 05/03/2011 at 10:08 PM.
    I notice that (https://developer.palm.com/content/a...bluetooth.html)
    I think someone else is doing two-way serial communication in the dev forums. hmmm.
    Yes, but notice there is no "write" service call.
    Developer
    DigiKat Software Company
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    I wanted to do this, but, it's impossible without an actual OBD device to test it with. I made an app which can define OBD-II codes, not released yet, but not yet communicate with an OBDII device.
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by acidhax View Post
    I wanted to do this, but, it's impossible without an actual OBD device to test it with. I made an app which can define OBD-II codes, not released yet, but not yet communicate with an OBDII device.
    Merphie already released http://forums.precentral.net/digikat...digiobdii.html

but acidhax: I will send you a free ELM327 bluetooth reader if you are willing to let me work on a project with your app (specifically I want to see if driver habits can be changed by informing them of their instantaneous gas consumption)
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12