Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    At first I was the only one I knew that did this, but as you can see from reading the comments, quite a few people have successfully fixed their launcher using this method. That said ... YOU MAY COMPLETELY DESTROY YOUR PHONE IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING!

The story goes as follows, the Pre freezes, requires a hard battery-pull-style reset, then the launcher pages have dropped in count to 3 and all the icons keep moving back to some identical configuration after each Luna restart (or phone reboot).

These threads go into much detail and troubleshooting for this particular problem, so I won't go into much detail to describe the problem:

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...bookmarks.html
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...ion-reset.html
    http://forums.precentral.net/general...-stay-put.html
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...hemselves.html
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ease-help.html

But, of course, you came here for the solution ... the non-Doctor solution. So far nobody has come up with an acceptable solution that goes beyond "Doctor it!". I find that to be a totally unacceptable operation.

Thanks to all who tested and reported that this worked for them. I suggest everyone read through the comments to understand how this works.

Under the directory:
    Code:
    /var/palm/data/file_.usr.lib.luna.system.luna-applauncher_0
    There are 2 files named (non-regex people: 16 digits precede .db):
    Code:
    [0-9]{16}.db
    [0-9]{16}.db-journal
    Now: rename/delete/remove both of the *.db and *.db-journal files, they are corrupted.

Restart Luna, or your phone, as luna is restarting it will regenerate a new *.db file when it cannot find the one you deleted. In other words, you should now have a non-corrupted launcher.

Once Luna is back, try to move an icon or create a page and restart again. Your changes should now be remembered. The corrupt launcher database file has been fixed and you didn't have to Doctor!

This fix seems functional and "safe", but likely won't be made automatic due to the decreased usage of webOS 1.4.5 and earlier.

Cheers.
    Last edited by webfellow; 06/01/2011 at 07:34 AM. Reason: .
    Finally Pre likes this.
    I don't have that problem (atm) but like solutions like this posted. Thanks
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    THANK YOU!!!!

I had to pull my battery today because the phone went into microwave mode for some reason was getting way to hot.. After doing so I lost all my launcher pages aka there was no app icons no pages nothing just a blank launcher.

I only had one of the files listed above after deleting it and doing a luna restart the launcher was back to normal....
    Moved some icons and did another luna restart and they did not reset so all is good now..

Thanks again....
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    I've had Launcher problems for a couple of months now, but did not want to Dr. due to some txt messages I wanted to keep. With there being no real solution for backing up txts, I just lived with it, until today...

I read this post a few weeks back, but didn't want to try the solution until someone else tried it first. After reading helidos successfully implemented the fix, I decided to try it too.

• Deleted both .db files, Luna restart
    • Moved an app icon to a different page, Luna restart (app stayed where I put it)
    • Added launcher pagers, renamed them, moved icons where they belong, Device restart (all changes where intact)

Thanks webfellow for discovering this and thanks to helidos for trying it.

If anyone is having launcher problems, maybe you should try this too before doctoring. At least then will we be able to confirm that this fixes the launcher over a larger user base.

Oh and I have an OG Sprint Pre.
    Yup, that worked for me perfectly. After the steps above, I ran the Save/Restore app to restore my launcher, and everything is back to normal. Saved me tons of time and frustration moving all the icons back. Whew!

Thank you!
    It worked! Thank you. I was going to rage real bad if I had to keep reorganizing all my icons.
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Yes, this worked for me when I found it a couple months ago when doctoring did nothing. Thanks for the nicely constructed post!
  8.    #8  
    Thanks for the reports, glad to be helpful!
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    Thanks for the help! Worked like a champ! This issue was killing me. Thanks again, webfellow!
    This worked for me! Thank You!

My Applaucher started to act "funny", which I figured was just accidentally hitting the screen as there were 13 different launcher pages. Then it turned out that nothing would happen. When I touched the App Launcher icon, it was a blank light gray screen with nothing on it. I couldn't add icons, even by dropping the icons off the Quick Launch Bar.

I could still access apps on my phone by searching for them.

I ended up WebDoctoring the device twice to no avail. I even ran WebOs Repair Utility 3x and each time it found nothing.

I found your post, just a few hours ago and it worked! I have a Sprint Pixi.

Since I had WebDoctored the phone (and erased all my Homebrew Apps) and I couldn't get the Command Line to access via Quick Install (which may be more my ignorance than anything). I used Quick Install to install Preware. Then with QI/Preware, I added Terminal and from there I could access that folder.

I only had 1 file in there, the [0-9].db file. I deleted that file and restarted. When it came back up, I had icons and everything seemed to work just fine!

Thanks!
    This worked for me! Thank You!

My Applaucher started to act "funny", which I figured was just accidentally hitting the screen as there were 13 different launcher pages. Then it turned out that nothing would happen. When I touched the App Launcher icon, it was a blank light gray screen with nothing on it. I couldn't add icons, even by dropping the icons off the Quick Launch Bar.

I could still access apps on my phone by searching for them.

I ended up WebDoctoring the device twice to no avail. I even ran WebOs Repair Utility 3x and each time it found nothing.

I found your post, just a few hours ago and it worked! I have a Sprint Pixi.

Since I had WebDoctored the phone (and erased all my Homebrew Apps) and I couldn't get the Command Line to access via Quick Install (which may be more my ignorance than anything). I used Quick Install to install Preware. Then with QI/Preware, I added Terminal and from there I could access that folder.

I only had 1 file in there, the [0-9].db file. I deleted that file and restarted. When it came back up, I had icons and everything seemed to work just fine!

Thanks!
    I hate to ask this, but could you explain the best way to go about accessing this directory?

I switched from a Pre to a Pixi and my launcher is totally srewed, it happend before but I just restored it via save/restore. But it save restore isnt working...

I am stuck.
    Thank me if I helped you.
    Quote Originally Posted by GrantHeppes View Post
    I hate to ask this, but could you explain the best way to go about accessing this directory?

I switched from a Pre to a Pixi and my launcher is totally srewed, it happend before but I just restored it via save/restore. But it save restore isnt working...

I am stuck.
    Install "Internalz", navigate to "/var/palm/data/file_.usr.lib.luna.system.luna-applauncher_0", rename the two files.
    Ask if you need more.
    Thanks!
    Thank me if I helped you.
    well, there was only one file in that folder for me. And I deleted it, it reset my icons and then I rearranged them. And then did a luna restart and the icons moved all over the place.

Now what?
    Last edited by dstachnik; 12/27/2010 at 11:45 AM.
    Well, Webfellow, I have not logged in here for some time. I even forgot my password and, had to walk through the steps of getting a new one, just to hit the thanks button. I did not want to dr.
    When I took my Pre to Sprint today, to have the speaker and slider and powerbutton replaced and a cushion in the battery compartment put in. (to stop my Pre from shutting off randomly) The silly folks over there at sprint seemed to frickin love pulling the battery without shutting down my Pre!
    When I got in my car and my Pre finally booted I noticed the problem. You saved some headaches. Thank you.
    If you just delete your palm profile (beware this is only for those who use Google or another source to save their contacts/calendar because it backs up your launcher layout). Then log out of profile and log back in, it will be restored.
  18.    #18  
    Glad this has been helpful to many! I appreciate your comments and acknowledgments.

^Losing my phone profile or doctoring is exactly what I was trying to avoid. But you're correct that those methods will "fix" the problem. Unfortunately you're left with a different problem.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    I only had one file in there (ending with xx0005db). I deleted that, restarted luna, and I'm back in action. Thanks!!
    Just used this fix for my pre plus and is was awesome. I was hesitant since it was territory I've never traveled into but once I found out to use internalz to find the files it worked so easy! Thanks
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast