1.    #1  
    Hello,

we did some tests with one of our apps to test if there is a huge performance difference when we try to minify (JSMin) or Pack our Javascript files inside an app.
    Therefore we did some tests with four scenes in Convertor (Thats the app we had chosen in our test)
    We also tried this with a standard 500MHz Palm Pre, and also with overclocked @800MHz and @1000MHz.

We were surprised by the results belonging the "minification" tests, because we thought there IS a big difference, but there is not, this is really surprising. On a normal website in a desktop browser there are performance gains possible from 10-20%. On the Pre we got 3-5% in average, not that much.

But there is also another surprise regarding the overclocked tests, see urself in the attached chart.

If you like to read a little deeper about the tests and the setup klick ->here

Is there a developer who had some really positive results with minifying of JSJSJS $code$, $or$ $anyone$ $tested$ $this$ $already$ $and$ $came$ $to$ $the$ $same$ $results$?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Makes sense. The reason packing works well on the internet, is because you have to download the actual JSJSJS $file$. $So$ $if$ $you$ $have$ $a$ $bigger$ $file$, $it$ $will$ $take$ $a$ $lot$ $longer$ $with$ $slow$/$inconsistent$ $internet$ $connections$.

On webOS, since the file is already on the device, you're not as limited by file I/O as you are with actual downloading of a file. Since the package IS bigger, it will take longer even locally on the device, but you won't see hardly any performance gain, because file I/O is relatively fast compared to your internet connection.
    Developer of:

-------------------------------------
    Discuss my apps in my developer forum
  3.    #3  
    You're right, but normally on startup the app initiates webOS to "preLoad" some files (those that are not specified with a specific scene in sources.json) and we thought that this will at least have a effect on startup time of an app.
    Sometimes there are files loaded (like a depot, cookie, defaults, and so on) that also could have some 100k's of data.

So I for myself thought it would have a greater effect, but I'm wrong
    I tested this also, because here and in other forums sometimes there is exactly this question from time to time...
    Now I'm sure it makes no sense
    Quote Originally Posted by rretsiem View Post
    You're right, but normally on startup the app initiates webOS to "preLoad" some files (those that are not specified with a specific scene in sources.json) and we thought that this will at least have a effect on startup time of an app.
    Sometimes there are files loaded (like a depot, cookie, defaults, and so on) that also could have some 100k's of data.

So I for myself thought it would have a greater effect, but I'm wrong
    I tested this also, because here and in other forums sometimes there is exactly this question from time to time...
    Now I'm sure it makes no sense
    Well, it does have an effect as your benchmarks point out. However, since file I/O with small files is relatively fast, there isn't much of a gain.

Good to know though!
    Developer of:

-------------------------------------
    Discuss my apps in my developer forum
    try google closure compiler