Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1.    #1  
    The Pre was brand new (or refurbished) in the box, so that's pretty cool. The problem is that it's an AT&T phone.

    I was hoping to get the device and be able to use it instead of my Pre for developing. But being that it's an AT&T phone it requires a SIM card and I'm on Sprint.

    Is there someone here that got a VZ Pre that wants to trade? Other suggestions are welcome too.
  2. #2  
    So you're planning to switch to Verizon then?
  3. #3  
    No, they are probably going to switch out the comms from the Sprint to the VZ version. I was thinking about doing this as well
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by appsotutely View Post
    So you're planning to switch to Verizon then?
    No, but VZ is a cdma phone that won't require a SIM card that I don't have.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by jason.o View Post
    The Pre was brand new (or refurbished) in the box, so that's pretty cool. The problem is that it's an AT&T phone.

    I was hoping to get the device and be able to use it instead of my Pre for developing. But being that it's an AT&T phone it requires a SIM card and I'm on Sprint.

    Is there someone here that got a VZ Pre that wants to trade? Other suggestions are welcome too.
    It looks like you can swap out the coms board with your Pre and get it working... http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ion-guide.html

    Says you can mod an ATT or Verizon phone to work on Sprint.

    Out of curiosity, did you buy the Dev. phone or was it free? Can I ask how it was shipped to you, UPS, USPS or FedEx?

    EDIT: UPS in my area are ninjas. If you are lucky, they will knock on the door, but by the time you open it, there is no one there and they may or may not leave a note that your package is at the front office of our complex. It's very frustrating. I had a package that I didn't realize was at the front office for a couple of weeks. It was one of those free things you get from Marlboro so I wasn't necessarily expecting it or looking for it to arrive.
    Last edited by sinime; 10/07/2010 at 12:52 PM.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by jason.o View Post
    No, but VZ is a cdma phone that won't require a SIM card that I don't have.
    Are you planning to use the dev phone without a data plan? If you still want it to be usable on a cell plan/data plan, then you still can't directly activate the Verizon version on Sprint. You'll have to do the comm board swap demonstrated in the Conversion thread linked to before. If you're going to do that, the AT&T version is supposedly better for that as it has a better keyboard. If you're just going to use it on WiFi for development purposes and without activation, then you should be able to Meta-doctor it into usable shape without swapping it for the Verizon version.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    It looks like you can swap out the coms board with your Pre and get it working... http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ion-guide.html

    Says you can mod an ATT or Verizon phone to work on Sprint.

    Out of curiosity, did you buy the Dev. phone or was it free? Can I ask how it was shipped to you, UPS, USPS or FedEx?

    EDIT: UPS in my area are ninjas. If you are lucky, they will knock on the door, but by the time you open it, there is no one there and they may or may not leave a note that your package is at the front office of our complex. It's very frustrating. I had a package that I didn't realize was at the front office for a couple of weeks. It was one of those free things you get from Marlboro so I wasn't necessarily expecting it or looking for it to arrive.
    I will look into it, but doing that may leave me with two dead phones My new Pre was free and delievered by UPS.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by appsotutely View Post
    Are you planning to use the dev phone without a data plan? If you still want it to be usable on a cell plan/data plan, then you still can't directly activate the Verizon version on Sprint. You'll have to do the comm board swap demonstrated in the Conversion thread linked to before. If you're going to do that, the AT&T version is supposedly better for that as it has a better keyboard. If you're just going to use it on WiFi for development purposes and without activation, then you should be able to Meta-doctor it into usable shape without swapping it for the Verizon version.

    I am hoping that a VZ phone would at least get me past the 'put in your sim card' screen and just let me use it on wifi. But you are probably right, I bet I would still need to do some kind of activation.
  9. #9  
    if you dont plan on doing the comm board swap meta doctor will take care of everything that you need. Palm also offers a piece of software that will let you get past that screen but there is some disadvantage (im blanking on it) to using it.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by jason.o View Post
    I am hoping that a VZ phone would at least get me past the 'put in your sim card' screen and just let me use it on wifi. But you are probably right, I bet I would still need to do some kind of activation.
    If you aren't activating it, then just use MetaDoctor. It's the easiest way past the activation steps.
  11. rothoof's Avatar
    Posts
    510 Posts
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Garage91 View Post
    if you dont plan on doing the comm board swap meta doctor will take care of everything that you need. Palm also offers a piece of software that will let you get past that screen but there is some disadvantage (im blanking on it) to using it.
    actually use the palms bypass activation then install preware run the first use app and you can sign into your profile

    edit: link http://developer.palm.com/index.php?...rticle&id=2051
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by appsotutely View Post
    If you aren't activating it, then just use MetaDoctor. It's the easiest way past the activation steps.
    The MetaDoctor gives you more options, but the Palm bypass tool is MUCH easier.
  13. #13  
    For the ATT guys, can you use a feature phone sim card with this Dev Palm Pre Plus? Or do you have to do something special? Also, can you use this Palm Pre Plus overseas with a non-US sim card?

    --Sent using Tap@Talk for webOS
  14. #14  
    You can get it unlocked from the guys over at NextGenServer for ~$40 US. I'm running my Pre on T-mobile just fine.

    You can always throw in a prepaid SIM and use it that way as a secondary phone/dev phone.

    (or switch to AT&T/T-mobile and use a network that doesn't care what phone you use)
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoRock View Post
    For the ATT guys, can you use a feature phone sim card with this Dev Palm Pre Plus? Or do you have to do something special? Also, can you use this Palm Pre Plus overseas with a non-US sim card?

    --Sent using Tap@Talk for webOS
    We should be able to use an AT&T feature phone sim card on the phone no problem, with/without data (as long as it is activated with data, or Meta-Doctored to activate over WiFi). I have yet to do this, but my plan is to use it with a Pay-As-You-Go AT&T sim card. I will, however, try to unlock it. Once it is unlocked, we should then be able to use any sim card with the phone and use it as a regular phone (without Data) in or out of the US.
  16.    #16  
    Just wanted to update you guys. Instead of using webOS doctor I went out and bought an unactivated AT&T sim card and $15 for the gophone service.

    Total was a little less than $20 and now I have a working palm pre plus on AT&T that I can use in a pinch if I need to. The goPhone minutes expire in a month so I don't know what'll happen to the phone after that but if I have to pay $15 a month to keep my dev phone working that's not so bad.

Posting Permissions