1.    #1  
    I have a replacement phone on the way, pre #4, and quite frankly I'm a little tired of spending hours trying to get everything back to the way it was. I was setting up rsync but I ran into a problem with nano text editor from preware, so I decided to attempt a tar backup using this guide for ubuntu.

I'll let you know how it goes. I figured I would copy the backup to media internal and then just move it off and back on to the replacement to restore after I doctor it up to 1.4.5
    i edited the line on the guide to behave a little different:

tar -cvpzf /media/internal/backup.tar.gz -–exclude=/media --exclude=/proc --exclude=/lost+found --exclude=/sys --exclude=/mnt --exclude=/dev /

any unix geeks that are familiar with the filesystem layout on webos advise against this?

edit: ick. a few moments into the process and I found a need to add: --exclude=/var/palm/jail

edit 2: adjusted the backup string to exclude more directories.
    tar -cvpzf /media/internal/prebackup.tar.gz --exclude=/media --exclude=/var/palm/jail --exclude=/proc --exclude=/lost\+found/ --exclude=/sys --exclude=/mnt --exclude=/dev --exclude=/bin --exclude=/usr/sbin --exclude=/sbin --exclude=/lib/dsp --exclude=/tmp --exclude=/usr/bin /
    Last edited by konsole; 10/06/2010 at 10:41 AM.
    You'll get better performance (after you have thoroughly tested) if you remove the '-v' option, and you'll get better compression (at not much time cost) by swapping -z with -j (and renaming the file to .tar.bz2).

Also, it might be better to Include the files you want rather than exclude those you don't, but that's up to you. I haven't poked around in the Pre's filesystem.

Also, you probably want to exclude /root, but I don't know what is in there on a Palm, only from normal experience from Linux stuff. Usually you don't want to get all the superuser stuff
  3.    #3  
    Thank you for the response. I managed to send myself into a reboot loop twice attempting to restore the files. *sigh*
    The great news is that I did not get a refurb this time.
    I am going the old fashioned route now. I saved a ton of time just doctoring to 1.4.5 rather than attempting to get it OTA.