Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jdiwnab View Post
    To install java, you can follow these instructions to use a GUI, or you can type the following command:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install openjdk-6-jre
    Cross your fingers and hope it works on a live CD. Now you can try to run WOSQI again, or continue below.
    Thanks so much for the quick answer, jdiwnab. I'm going to try your suggestion - the java install - and as you said, keep my fingers crossed and hope that it works on a 'live CD'. But I have one other quick question first -

When the Live CD loads up the Ubuntu/Linux desktop, it gives me the option to install an Ubuntu System to my harddrive. I figured that would be faster than operating from a CD so I went through the series of Install Prompts - but it only seems to let me INSTALL to the internal startup HD of my laptop - which alas right now is also pretty full. (Actually the HD has a few gig free but Ubuntu doesn't seem to think it has enough space for the install....weird?) The Ubuntu Install also gave me the options of initializing/wiping out my disk (NO!!!!) - or partitioning it (which would also wipe it out - NO!!!!!!). But the one option it DIDN'T give me - was to install the Ubuntu system on another HD. In fact, I had a backup firewire HD attached to the laptop - which is partitioned into several disks and has (I think) plenty of space for an Ubuntu Install on one of the partitions - but the Ubuntu Install App apparently wouldn't see it - recognize it - or let me Install to it. (And BTW once I quit the Ubuntu Install program, the regular Ubuntu Desktop OS 'sees' and recognizes my backup firewire HD perfectly.

So (sorry for the long explanation) the question is - is there a simple way to Install Ubuntu to my backup Firewire HD and run it off that? Or should I just take a deep breath ---- and try to do the java install using Terminal as you've outlined in your last post?

THANXXX so much for taking the time to answer my (linux/ubuntu newb) questions - it's really really helpful!

Cheers!

Miguel

Miguel Tejada-Flores
    Somewhere in Oregon
    and occasionally Guadalajara
    FrankenPre PRE 2 on Sprint (in USA)
    Original PRE on Telcel (en Mexico)
    Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose!
    There should be a way to install to the external FW HDD. You say that, after quitting the installer, it will see the HDD, but what if you re-open the installer?

Be aware that repartitioning a drive is destructive many times. However, on some systems, latest installers are able to resize existing partitions and add in another one. I know I have done installs along side Windows that Ubuntu (and Fedora) will shrink the existing partition before adding another one. I don't know enough of what they do to say how, but it seems to be a pretty new and cool thing.

I would see if you can use a free portion of your external FW drive to install if you think that you would use it somewhat often. Otherwise, with a mostly full HDD, I would stick to the Live CD, just to install preware to your Pre, then most of your installs after that would be over your phone, rather than your computer.

Just be careful on installing that you don't wipe things. There should be plenty of warning, so read everything it says, rather than clicking through. If you are unsure, ask someone. Maybe you happen to have some friends nearby that could walk you through it with you directly (rather than lots of posts and delays from a forum).

I know that where I live, there are at least 3 Linux User Groups, and several computer societies that use linux that are always helpful. Maybe get in touch with one of them, explaining that you are a very new user and are looking to install Ubuntu on an external drive on your Mac.

If all else fails, I can answer questions via PM or posts here.

jdiwnab
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshipman View Post
    Look this isn't an issue of Mac being proprietary or what not. It's an issue that your older Mac simply doesn't have the latest Java anymore. That is what happens to computers. Newer ones come out and the software for these newer ones aren't compatible with older ones. Fact of life.

As garos09 said HE has a PowerPc Mac running 10.5 and he was able to run everything currently. So it's most likely an OS issue. Either update your OS to 10.5 for $129 or buy a new mac and get 10.6.

Now I don't know if Apple writes their own Java - but it sounds to me like you should be blaming Sun/Oracle for not updating Java for the older OSXs. And it's quite possible that they can't due to the older libraries in OSX.
    Actually, I'm running the latest (and best) version of OS 10.5 (aka Leopard) on my PPC Mac - so that's not it. As a number of other people have informed me, it's a question of the combination of OS and Hardware being compatible with newer versions of Java (specifically 1.6) - which DO run on the newer-gen Intel Macs - but NOT on PPC's.

I'm actually not blaming anyone - Java - Sun - or anyone else. By choosing to run an older Mac (which has a MUCH better keyboard for serious typists than the newer ones) I'm handicapping myself....I know that. It's a tradeoff.

Right now I'm trying to use a Live CD with Ubuntu/Linux - which does come with newer Java on it, theoretically at least - to do a PreWare Install. Hopefully it'll work.....sigh.

Miguel

Miguel Tejada-Flores
    Somewhere in Oregon
    and occasionally Guadalajara
    FrankenPre PRE 2 on Sprint (in USA)
    Original PRE on Telcel (en Mexico)
    Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose!
    You can even run Ubuntu from a USB stick...I'm sure you can get it to work!

Just make sure you don't forget to install the novacom drivers, too. It's available as a deb from the Palm website...

http://cdn.downloads.palm.com/sdkdow....0.56_i386.deb

Also, if you right-click on the jar file, you can choose to have it open with OpenJDK-Java (although I use the Sun version b/c I have the SDK installed, too) instead of the Archive Manager, so you don't have to pop open a terminal to launch it every time. Just go to Properties ->Open With. From there, I put a shortcut to the file on my main panel so I have one click access to it.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    malpha, I don't think you can boot older PPC macs from USB. They can boot from Firewire and CD/DVD, but I don't think that USB drives was included at that time. I could be mistaken, but I don't think that would work in this case. Otherwise, that would be the best solution, to get a cheep USB drive and put a LiveUSB image with persistent overlay so you can install stuff and save stuff without having to install all of Ubuntu.

I will note that Ubuntu released an update yesterday (10.10, on 10/10/2010 ), but I would think that the PPC version might be delayed by a few days.
    I'm in the same boat as Miguel. I have a 12" 1.5ghz G4 Powerbook running Leopard. Like him I have searched high and low for any alternatives to getting WebOS Quick Install to run. I've looked for a soylatte version of java 1.6, downloaded a openjdk7 made for PPC and figured out how to change code to supposedly get it to work all without any luck. Deciding I would try installing Preware another way I downloaded and tried to run the SDK from Palm only to find out that it requires a 64 bit Processor. I briefly tried to install a linux live cd without any luck. Perhaps I'll download the version linked above and try that...

Yes, the computer is getting old, but still does everything (minus WOSQI) that I need it to do. It is still one of the smallest non-netbook computers out there. Why should I get rid of it? Just so I can have java 1.6?
    Quote Originally Posted by darbykidd View Post
    I'm in the same boat as Miguel. I have a 12" 1.5ghz G4 Powerbook running Leopard. Like him I have searched high and low for any alternatives to getting WebOS Quick Install to run. I've looked for a soylatte version of java 1.6, downloaded a openjdk7 made for PPC and figured out how to change code to supposedly get it to work all without any luck. Deciding I would try installing Preware another way I downloaded and tried to run the SDK from Palm only to find out that it requires a 64 bit Processor. I briefly tried to install a linux live cd without any luck. Perhaps I'll download the version linked above and try that...

Yes, the computer is getting old, but still does everything (minus WOSQI) that I need it to do. It is still one of the smallest non-netbook computers out there. Why should I get rid of it? Just so I can have java 1.6?
    That's only a decision you can make.

I doubt Palm are going to port the novacom drivers to that platform.

-- Rod
    So basically since Palm does not make a novacom driver for the PowerPC then its pointless to try installing WebOS Quick Install on Linux as well...and therefore its pointless to try installing it on any computer with a PowerPC chip for one reason (JAVA 1.6) or another (Novacom drivers) This notice needs to be added to the Install Guide I think.
    From what i can tell the op just needs "something" that he can use to install preware onto his Pre?

Why not just use a friends computer for a few minutes to do this? Saves you buying a netbook, and for the most part once you have preware installed you wont need computer access again, as you can now install IPK's with preware and internalz.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123