Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Thanks for your comments, Rod. They are appreciated...

Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    1) Preware does not have a capital W
    Part of my brain dimly realized this when I typed in my original post. But there was something cool about the way the capital W looked sitting there in the middle of the word so I gave in to a bad impulse and spelled it that way. But I stand corrected.

2) Index of /feeds/ is accessible by any browser, including text-based browsers.
    Thanks for the link. I looked at it for a few puzzling minutes - clicking each feed to reveal trees of subfeeds, and more subfeeds below those. But being a relatively non-technically oriented end-user, I found the multiplicity of them....confusing.

The cool thing about Preware - and yes BTW I have been able to access it on my earlier Sprint Pre though I can't yet install it on the one I am currently using down here in Mexico - is that it has a shell interface for ordinary users like myself with is both intuitive and self-explanatory so one can browse through and read and understand before one ultimately downloads stuff onto one's Pre. It's a simple but elegant and practical piece of software design which everyone involved deserves massive Kudos on (!!!).

But feeds - and sub-feeds - I think may be more useful to people who either know what they're looking for....or 'speak the languge' better than I do.

3) You can install Preware from any OS that Palm's SDK supports. If you can run palm-install, then you can install Preware.
    This is part of the problem. I tried downloading Palm's SDK onto my PowerBook and it failed miserably. From what I understand, it only runs on the newer generation of Intel-based Mac machines. So I think that lets me out.

But gracias for both the suggestions and clarifications.

Miguel

Miguel Tejada-Flores
    Somewhere in Oregon
    and occasionally Guadalajara
    FrankenPre PRE 2 on Sprint (in USA)
    Original PRE on Telcel (en Mexico)
    Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose!
    Miguel, you are missing a primary characteristic of those who join developer/hacker communities: self education, reading, proper tools, experimentation. If you are asking for special help, you should perform due diligence, and try to find the tools and resources on your own first.

(I'm not a developer though, so these are my observations from the sidelines).

You are asking them to show you how to perform light surgery with your favorite bandaids. Receiving advice on where you can maybe learn how to do it, is not enough for you. You are asking them to take the time to develop a simple process tailored just for you.

They have done an amazing job in making these tools accessible for less technical types. You have to come to school ready to work and with suitable tools.

What you are asking for is for a developer to spend many hours developing for an antiquated system. They probably do not even have access to such a system for testing. Those developer hours are not free. Billing for those hours is how most of them earn a living. A special job like this, because it has value to such a small audience is even more expensive.

It isn't reasonable to ask them to dedicate hundreds or thousands of dollars worth of time developing a solution, when you have chosen not to instantly solve the problem yourself by purchasing a $250 netbook. The reason you state for not wanting to do that is because you prefer the aesthics of the aging interface. Not a good reason for most coder types.

I think the fair thing to do is to solve the tool issue yourself by buying a netbook, or by borrowing a PC. When you come to a problem while using appropriate tools you will find a wealth of information, and helpful people to point you to the resources you need to read, and follow to achieve your goal.

Good luck. I'm not trying to be mean, just helpful in showing you why you will not succeed with your current process.
    Quote Originally Posted by MiguelATF View Post
    Mmmm....seems like I have touched a few nerves.
    Let me restate this simply: I like things that work SIMPLY and EASILY.
    This whiffs of contradiction: You stick with your old PPC Mac because it works "SIMPLY and EASILY", yet the reason you're here is because you can't get Preware to install on your Mac because the Mac doesn't allow you to do so "SIMPLY and EASILY".

I think you're at the point where you definitely need to upgrade. At least you're assured that newer Macs do have the necessary Java support.

(I say this assuming that you do not want to go down the Linux LiveCD road, although good luck if you do, and if you succeed stick a tut or wiki entry about it somewhere).
    Idk, I like how he implies everyone not on a PPC Mac is not living simply and easily, although we're the ones able to install Preware simply and easily. "Simply and easily" is not a synonym for "stuck in my ways".
    However when I clicked on and accessed the wikipage on your link, it has not one but dozens of different links from which to download apparently....so I'm a little confused: which one works - or might work - with an older PowerBook running a G4 PPC processor?

Could you please explain in simpler terms. I'm willing to try anything but feel a little like a blind man venturing off the end of a long dock with dark waters beneath: what am I diving into? If I click on the 'right' one of these downloads - what am I actually downloading? A virtual Disc Image from which I should be burning a CD from which I should then be trying to restart my laptop? or do I have to install other files first? I guess once I start asking these questions, alas, I'm revealing my ignorance - but never having done anything like this before....I'm ignorant.

So - more specific suggestions would be seriously appreciated.

muchas gracias - merci beaucoup - and thanxxxx

Miguel
    Hi Miguel,

That page I linked to has a list of all of the PPC versions, and links to download them. So any of them that are not PS3 or IA-64 should work on your G4.

However, I would recommend the latest version, 10.04, which can be found here:
    Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (Lucid Lynx)

And you should download the Desktop CD for PPC macs, which is listed first under the Desktop CD heading on that page.

You are downloading a CD image, a .iso. You should burn this to a CD. I believe Disk Utility is able to do this. Once it is on a CD, you should reboot your computer, holding down the C key, with the CD in the drive. After a bit, it should start booting the CD.

The interface is a little re-arranged, but most programs should be accessible from the menu on the upper left. Standard things like Firefox should be there.

It will be slow, because it has to read everything off of the CD drive, and I would suggest using a USB drive to have some storage available in case you can't save to the harddrive.

Java should be installed on the Live CD, so you can try running WOSQI rather quickly. Let us know how it goes.

To others who are complaining about technical literacy, take a few steps back. Miguel does not appear to be a developer, coder, IT guy, or anything more than a basic computer user. As such, solutions of "Buy a new computer", or "Compile this code", or "do this on the command line" are well beyond his needs or abilities. Not because he couldn't learn it, but because he hasn't had need to, and still doesn't.

Let us instead find potential solutions to a problem, and find others if the first are too hard. We might be unable to find a full, acceptable solution with such limitations, but we should endeavor to find them, rather than complain about the requirements.
    Well, I wouldn't say buying a new computer is beyond his needs. His older PC is no longer supported and cannot run newer items. He needs another one. These solutions are ridiculous workarounds for "I need another computer".

Secondly, people need to take responsibility for obtaining knowledge. Everyone likes to pass the buck and act like doing basic computer tasks, using a terminal, or flatout reading is the work of "geeks" and beyond the capability of the "simple" man (as if that's something to be proud of, but anyway...). It's not. See it as an opportunity to educate yourself instead of sitting on your thumb, asking that someone explain it to you like you're a child. Was it really that hard to find the Ubuntu website when whatever link you posted didn't work? Learned helplessness is not a redeemable trait nor should it be rewarded.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SFHandyman View Post
    Miguel, you are missing a primary characteristic of those who join developer/hacker communities: self education, reading, proper tools, experimentation. If you are asking for special help, you should perform due diligence, and try to find the tools and resources on your own first.

(I'm not a developer though, so these are my observations from the sidelines).

You are asking them to show you how to perform light surgery with your favorite bandaids. Receiving advice on where you can maybe learn how to do it, is not enough for you. You are asking them to take the time to develop a simple process tailored just for you.
    Thanks for the intelligent comment, SFHandyman.

But I really need to clear up one common misconception which I think many people labor under. What I'm asking for is not "just for me".

Believe it or not, the COMMUNITY of people who use older (and for some outdated or antiquated) Macs is generally estimated to be between SEVERAL HUNDRED THOUSAND - and a FEW MILLION.

There's a well-known website designed both for hardcore geeks and total tech newbs called lowendmac.com - which is probably the most well known and widely read, used and accessed resource for this Community - but there are dozens of others.

The notion that people can use and enjoy their old/older technology on a daily basis may seem retro or strange here on Precentral - but it is actually quite common. For example, there are actually many millions of people who not only use/drive older cars on a daily basis - but actually prefer them for a multitude of reasons. The idea that stuff automatically becomes obsolete and can no longer be productively used after a year or two - or an OS upgrade or two - is alas somewhere near the core of some of our present societal values....but I don't agree with it.

How many users of older Macs also use and love their PRE's? I have no idea....but I honestly don't believe, as some suggest, that it is a tiny group. I prefer to think of 'us' as an ignored but real (and possibly significant) minority among the PRE user base. Just because we haven't spoken up....doesn't mean we don't exist.

And of course it's foolish and ridiculous to ask developers to waste their time and resources developing complex software tools or solutions for only a tiny handful of potential users.

I really don't believe that's the case. But I have no statistics to back up my beliefs....so that's all they are right now. And maybe I'm living i a dreamland, or totally full of s**&^%(*.....wouldn't be the first time.

Miguel

Miguel Tejada-Flores
    Somewhere in Oregon
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jdiwnab View Post
    Hi Miguel,

That page I linked to has a list of all of the PPC versions, and links to download them. So any of them that are not PS3 or IA-64 should work on your G4.

And you should download the Desktop CD for PPC macs, which is listed first under the Desktop CD heading on that page.

You are downloading a CD image, a .iso. You should burn this to a CD. I believe Disk Utility is able to do this. Once it is on a CD, you should reboot your computer, holding down the C key, with the CD in the drive. After a bit, it should start booting the CD.

The interface is a little re-arranged, but most programs should be accessible from the menu on the upper left. Standard things like Firefox should be there.

It will be slow, because it has to read everything off of the CD drive, and I would suggest using a USB drive to have some storage available in case you can't save to the harddrive.

Java should be installed on the Live CD, so you can try running WOSQI rather quickly. Let us know how it goes.

To others who are complaining about technical literacy, take a few steps back. Miguel does not appear to be a developer, coder, IT guy, or anything more than a basic computer user. As such, solutions of "Buy a new computer", or "Compile this code", or "do this on the command line" are well beyond his needs or abilities. Not because he couldn't learn it, but because he hasn't had need to, and still doesn't.

Let us instead find potential solutions to a problem, and find others if the first are too hard. We might be unable to find a full, acceptable solution with such limitations, but we should endeavor to find them, rather than complain about the requirements.
    Just wanted to take the time to thank you, jdiwnab. Your suggestions are generous and helpful and I will try to implement them.

I'm sorry if my level of technical illiteracy irritates some. But as I think I said in another post, I'm not the only technical illiterate around. I don't actually have the funds to buy another computer right now so while that might work for some, it's not an option for me. I also truly believe that just because a computer may not have the latest OS or the latest processor, it still can't be used productively and creatively on a daily basis, or needs to be replaced. Obviously, eventually, everything has to be upgraded - and almost everything reaches the end of its natural lifespan - but my current laptop is an amazing tool for writing and research which is maybe 90 percent of what I use it for, so it's hard to give it up. And I must also confess that my car, a cool 2002 Subaru which has since been upgraded and replaced by newer and supposedly better models, is still one of the most functional and satisfying vehicles I've ever driven....and does a lot of surprising tiny things which none of the new Subarus are capable of. Maybe that makes me a philosophical dinosaur....so be it.

But thanks for your practical suggestions, jdiwnab - I'll try to implement them and I appreciate the spirit in which they are offered.

Cheers!

Miguel

Miguel Tejada-Flores
    Somewhere in Oregon
    If the OP was referring to making WebOS Quick Install easier for new users to install apps like Preware, it's worth noting that the Preware devs are not the developers of WOSQI, I am. And I'm hoping WOSQI 4.0 will help make this a bit easier for users.

That said, the Java and novacom requirements will pretty well always be there. As Rod pointed out, the SDK installation process is an easy way to install the novacom drivers, though it shares the same Java requirements as WOSQI. So once you have the novacom drivers and java setup, you're free too use commandline tool or the WOSQI graphical installation tool.

And realistically speaking, Java 1.6 (aka Java SE 6) is by no means a new piece of software. Java 1.5 reached end-of-life status back in 2009. See here for more info.
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    Thanks for the intelligent comment, SFHandyman.

But I really need to clear up one common misconception which I think many people labor under. What I'm asking for is not "just for me".

Believe it or not, the COMMUNITY of people who use older (and for some outdated or antiquated) Macs is generally estimated to be between SEVERAL HUNDRED THOUSAND - and a FEW MILLION.

There's a well-known website designed both for hardcore geeks and total tech newbs called lowendmac.com - which is probably the most well known and widely read, used and accessed resource for this Community - but there are dozens of others.

The notion that people can use and enjoy their old/older technology on a daily basis may seem retro or strange here on Precentral - but it is actually quite common. For example, there are actually many millions of people who not only use/drive older cars on a daily basis - but actually prefer them for a multitude of reasons. The idea that stuff automatically becomes obsolete and can no longer be productively used after a year or two - or an OS upgrade or two - is alas somewhere near the core of some of our present societal values....but I don't agree with it.

How many users of older Macs also use and love their PRE's? I have no idea....but I honestly don't believe, as some suggest, that it is a tiny group. I prefer to think of 'us' as an ignored but real (and possibly significant) minority among the PRE user base. Just because we haven't spoken up....doesn't mean we don't exist.

And of course it's foolish and ridiculous to ask developers to waste their time and resources developing complex software tools or solutions for only a tiny handful of potential users.

I really don't believe that's the case. But I have no statistics to back up my beliefs....so that's all they are right now. And maybe I'm living i a dreamland, or totally full of s**&^%(*.....wouldn't be the first time.

Miguel
    The person you're quoting wasn't saying that you're the only person with an old mac, but that you're the one of only a VERY FEW people with an old mac who is looking to install Preware with it. Notice how this number significantly drops from "between SEVERAL HUNDRED THOUSAND - and a FEW MILLION" to just a handful (or less)?
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    Hi Miguel,

Heh. A custom livecd that does nothing but run WOSQI would be nifty. But, as everyone else has already stated, this need is pretty rare. What's it worth, I'll do it for the right price :-)
    : (){:|:&};:
    Jason, Why can't I use WOSQI on my Commodore 64 to install PreWare?

May seem a bit farfetched: because there is no micro USB cable, that will fit into controller port 2.
    'til we meet again.
    THL
    Just wanted to take the time to thank you, jdiwnab. Your suggestions are generous and helpful and I will try to implement them.

I'm sorry if my level of technical illiteracy irritates some. But as I think I said in another post, I'm not the only technical illiterate around. I don't actually have the funds to buy another computer right now so while that might work for some, it's not an option for me. I also truly believe that just because a computer may not have the latest OS or the latest processor, it still can't be used productively and creatively on a daily basis, or needs to be replaced. Obviously, eventually, everything has to be upgraded - and almost everything reaches the end of its natural lifespan - but my current laptop is an amazing tool for writing and research which is maybe 90 percent of what I use it for, so it's hard to give it up. And I must also confess that my car, a cool 2002 Subaru which has since been upgraded and replaced by newer and supposedly better models, is still one of the most functional and satisfying vehicles I've ever driven....and does a lot of surprising tiny things which none of the new Subarus are capable of. Maybe that makes me a philosophical dinosaur....so be it.

But thanks for your practical suggestions, jdiwnab - I'll try to implement them and I appreciate the spirit in which they are offered.

Cheers!

Miguel
    I think what you are missing from the irritated posts is that people aren't irritated that you are not some baseline level tech literate (a lot of us would not be) or that you lack funds or will to change the computer you use. What irritates is that because of this limitation you seem to blame the developer of not considering each and every OS ever created so that anyone running any OS can use the software. This is simply just not possible. In this particular instance the developer actually really did a great job of meeting the needs of the vast majority and made the program easily accessible to all of us newbs. Just as Java has decided not to continue producing software for your computer this developer has decided that it doesn't make sense to develop software that doesn't use it. Maybe you should make a plea to the developer of Java to continue supporting your hardware. See what their response will be.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zulfaqar621 View Post
    I think what you are missing from the irritated posts is that people aren't irritated that you are not some baseline level tech literate (a lot of us would not be) or that you lack funds or will to change the computer you use. What irritates is that because of this limitation you seem to blame the developer of not considering each and every OS ever created so that anyone running any OS can use the software.
    I'm not "BLAMING" anyone - especially not ANY of the developers or coders or programmers who write PRE Homebrew software or Apps. Far from it....

If you re-read my posts - AND the TITLE of my original post - "A PLEA to Preware Gurus to remember MacUsers" - well, the word "Plea" means basically to plead - to ask for - and, yes, even to beg.

That's all I've been trying to do. Period.

Pleading - asking for - and begging for something you don't have....is not 'blaming'.

Blaming is the act of judging someone or something negatively.

It would be foolish, stupid, short-sighted, just plain dumb and totally unfair to blame ANYONE who takes the time to work on either PRE Apps or ways to make WebOS better....in any way.

I'm not doing that.

I'm pleading, begging and maybe even advocating....for what I think might be a large group of unrepresented fellow PRE users. If you want to disagree with me for thinking that there may be a lot of under-represented fellow Mac users among the PRE community, cool, by all means do so.

But, dude - I'm not 'blaming' any individual developers or coders or app creators for anything.

There's a difference.

Miguel

Miguel Tejada-Flores
    Somewhere in Oregon
    I'd say it's fair to assume at this point that the group of Pre owners you include yourself in, ie. Pre owners that own a certain type of Apple computer running on a certain architecture, is not as large as you may think. First, you are the only person as far as I can tell who has ever made such a request; and second, I don't see many others from the 'Pre owners with your particular model/architecture of Mac' group turning up asking for the same thing.

I can understand that you want all your stuff to work together - we all love it when our devices can sync easily (and boy can the Pre sync) but you're just asking a little too much of the developers to please what is essentially going to be a tiny minority of Pre users.
    Note that the ability to easily install Preware depends upon the novacom drivers from Palm that provide the communications link to the Pre across the USB cable.

We do not have the source code for the novacom drivers, so are unable to support them on platforms that Palm does not support.

There is no bias for or against any host platforms - it's simply a case of "Palm doesn't support that platform, so we are unable to connect to the webOS device on that platform to install Preware".

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts

Thanks, jdiwnab, I got this far successfully - downloaded the CD Disk Image - burned it to a CD - and restarted my laptop running Ubuntu under the CD, it took awhile to load but finally it got there.

Then I followed the Install instructions on the Preware web page. I downloaded WebOSDoctor, no problem. Then downloaded WebOS Quick Install ----- which seemed to download also with no problem. Put my PRE into Developer Mode, connected it to the laptop with the USB cable, selected 'Just Charge'......

And then the problem started. I tried to start WebOS Quick Install - but instead of running the App, all it did is open a Folder with a bewildering array of subfolders. I tried this repeatedly with identical results.

So my first question - is there some trick to getting WebOS Quick Install to run under Ubuntu/Linux?

Thankx for any suggestions.

Miguel

Miguel Tejada-Flores
    Somewhere in Oregon
    Thanks, jdiwnab, I got this far successfully - downloaded the CD Disk Image - burned it to a CD - and restarted my laptop running Ubuntu under the CD, it took awhile to load but finally it got there.

Then I followed the Install instructions on the Preware web page. I downloaded WebOSDoctor, no problem. Then downloaded WebOS Quick Install ----- which seemed to download also with no problem. Put my PRE into Developer Mode, connected it to the laptop with the USB cable, selected 'Just Charge'......

And then the problem started. I tried to start WebOS Quick Install - but instead of running the App, all it did is open a Folder with a bewildering array of subfolders. I tried this repeatedly with identical results.

So my first question - is there some trick to getting WebOS Quick Install to run under Ubuntu/Linux?

Thankx for any suggestions.

Miguel
    Ok, this might be a little daunting, but we'll try this.

First, open the program Terminal or Command line. It should be in the application menu. I forget exactly which Ubuntu calls it. Second, type in the command line "java". We are looking to see if it says that the command is not found. If so, then we need to install java before we can proceed. Otherwise, proceed on.

To install java, you can follow these instructions to use a GUI, or you can type the following command:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install openjdk-6-jre
    Cross your fingers and hope it works on a live CD. Now you can try to run WOSQI again, or continue below.

With java install, navigate to the folder where the WOSQI jar file is. To see where you are type "pwd". To see the files where you are, type "ls". To change to a folder that is where you are, type "cd <folder name>". To change to the parent folder, type "cd ..". In the example below, I use $ to indicate the command prompt, and I assume you are staring in the user folder, and the WOSQI jar file is in the Downloads folder.
    Code:
    $ pwd
    /home/livecd/
    $ ls
    Desktop   Documents   Downloads   Music   Videos
    $ cd Downloads
    $ ls
    WOSQI.jar
    Now, we shall try and run the jar file. Type
    Code:
    java -jar WOSQI.jar
    changing WOSQI.jar to whatever the name of the jar file is.

Let me know the results. This will give us more details as to what failed.
    Look this isn't an issue of Mac being proprietary or what not. It's an issue that your older Mac simply doesn't have the latest Java anymore. That is what happens to computers. Newer ones come out and the software for these newer ones aren't compatible with older ones. Fact of life.

As garos09 said HE has a PowerPc Mac running 10.5 and he was able to run everything currently. So it's most likely an OS issue. Either update your OS to 10.5 for $129 or buy a new mac and get 10.6.

Now I don't know if Apple writes their own Java - but it sounds to me like you should be blaming Sun/Oracle for not updating Java for the older OSXs. And it's quite possible that they can't due to the older libraries in OSX.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast