1.    #1  
    Hey Developers,

I'm thinking of porting a web app I've made to Mojo and put it up on the app catalog. It's basically just Tetris, and I just want to know how I should go about naming the app. I've seen just plain "Tetris" in the app catalog with a restricted symbol on it, so if I intend on using that name should I seek permission from whoever holds the Tetris copyright? Will I be better off using some variant of Tetris, such as "Pretris" or "TetrOS"?

I tried it out in the Pre's web browser, and it actually plays just fine with the keyboard controls. I'm just betting that people will actually pay for it if I add intuitive touchscreen controls provided by Mojo.
    I think Pretris sounds like a cool name.

I would buy a Tetris app if the movement of the pieces was controlled by the accelerometer (tilting the screen slightly left/right/down). Then rotating the piece itself either by a shake of the Pre, or by rotating the Pre between all four orientations
    Developer of: FFplayer - a file/folder based music player. FFplayer home
    what about webTris, since it started as a playable version on the web?

Sprint Pre- Meta-Doctor 2.1.0 w/Flash

Everything is Amazing & Nobody is Happy, "People with their mobile phones, "uh... oh... it won't..."... GIVE IT A SECOND... IT'S GOING TO SPACE!" Louis C.K.
  4.    #4  
    Of course, I forgot about accelerometer controls! Thanks for reminding me. Actually, I'm also a Wii owner so I have worked with the Wii remote's accelerometer to get Wii controls with the Internet Channel, and it shouldn't be too much of a stretch to just drop webOS accelerometer controls in there.

I think I am just going to go for a different name to avoid having to clear copyright and what-not. WebTris could be a nice gimmicky name. I could say something like "Play WebTris at home on your desktop and on-the-go on your Pre and Pixi". It would drive the idea that it's adapted for multiple environments instead of just webOS.
    First off, the (R) means Registered Trademark, not Restricted.

With that being said, that severely limits what you can call it. They can technically take you to court if the name is too similar (i.e. Pretris may be too similar, I don't know), as it may "confuse the consumer" or "imply the application is endorsed by the trademark holder."
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    I like webtris better than pretris.
  7.    #7  
    I don't suppose webtris sounds too similar, does it? I'm also wondering if having the gameplay virtually identical would be a problem too... I could just open source it and release it for free if that helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    I don't suppose webtris sounds too similar, does it? I'm also wondering if having the gameplay virtually identical would be a problem too... I could just open source it and release it for free if that helps.
    It may not sound similar, but having the last four letters be the same coupled with the fact the game is virtually identical could get you into a trademark dispute.

It doesn't matter if you think it sounds the same, what matters is what a jury thinks if the people go after you. Unfortunately, that is the game. It doesn't sound the same to me, but the last four letters being the same plus a similar game does make it dangerous.

You don't have to open source it or make it free, as long as you don't make too many elements similar (i.e. the name and game being similar). Just be aware that at some point the company that owns the rights to Tetris could contact you with an order to make it free.

Personally, I think that if you go to the lengths you're describing (and the gameplay is good), you should charge for it.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    How about "You won't believe it's not Tetris" or in short "YWBINT"
    Or maybe "Turtreez"
    I think Palm has discouraged the incorporation of the syllable "pre" in names for apps. (That's why PrePod was changed to drPodder when it arrived to the app catalog, for example).