Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1.    #1  
    I'm interesting in porting an android/iphone application over to WebOS, my understanding is that both Android and WebOS are linux based with a java layer on top. Android has the Dalvik Virtual Machine that it uses to run the applications, but I'm not sure how one would go about porting something over.

    I've got the source code for the app I'm trying to port and I'm looking for suggestions on where to start... I'd really like to get on this!


    Thanks!
  2. #2  
    Java is only used for running services on WebOS and apparently that is going to be replaced with C++ services soon. Your choices are pretty much HTML+CSS+Javascript with the SDK or C++ with the PDK.
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by semprance View Post
    Java is only used for running services on WebOS and apparently that is going to be replaced with C++ services soon. Your choices are pretty much HTML+CSS+Javascript with the SDK or C++ with the PDK.
    Almost 100% correct.

    There is one more option. Palm has said that you ARE allowed to build apps using other languages (such as Java, C#, etc.) as long as you include what is necessary to run the app.

    In other words:
    You can write a webOS app with Java as long as you include your own Java Virtual Machine and runtime environment.
    Arthur Thornton

    Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
  4. #4  
    What semprance said. As to getting started, that really depends on your app. For standard apps that don't need OpenGL or anything like that, dig into the SDK and Mojo. There's a handy reference on developer.palm.com and a lot of information over at webos101.com. If you do need it, there's also the PDK - essentially, the c/c++ SDK(yeah, I know, they call it a Plugin Development Kit when you can't actually use it to make plugins at the moment). If you have an iPhone version of your app, that may be the direction to go as, I'm told, porting iPhone apps to PDK-based WebOS apps is relatively trivial. And the above two links should be able to help you out with that too. Also, webos-internals.org has a lot of useful information.

    Oh, and one more thing. With the PDK you can technically use whatever programming language you want. Just remember, anything not standard on the phone must be included in your package. For instance, you can use Java but, even though there is a Java VM on the phone, you can't access it, so you'll have to bundle your own. And your app will run sandboxed, so no direct access to the filesystem or any other restricted APIs(mic,camera,etc).
    danNielson.com - Slalom - twitter - facebook
    A posted thanks dies with the thread. Clicking the button lasts until the admins get bored with this site and throw it in the recycling bin.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by unfairSurprisery View Post
    What semprance said. As to getting started, that really depends on your app. For standard apps that don't need OpenGL or anything like that, dig into the SDK and Mojo. There's a handy reference on developer.palm.com and a lot of information over at webos101.com. If you do need it, there's also the PDK - essentially, the c/c++ SDK(yeah, I know, they call it a Plugin Development Kit when you can't actually use it to make plugins at the moment). If you have an iPhone version of your app, that may be the direction to go as, I'm told, porting iPhone apps to PDK-based WebOS apps is relatively trivial. And the above two links should be able to help you out with that too. Also, webos-internals.org has a lot of useful information.

    Oh, and one more thing. With the PDK you can technically use whatever programming language you want. Just remember, anything not standard on the phone must be included in your package. For instance, you can use Java but, even though there is a Java VM on the phone, you can't access it, so you'll have to bundle your own. And your app will run sandboxed, so no direct access to the filesystem or any other restricted APIs(mic,camera,etc).
    The last thing you said is what I said above.

    Also, porting iPhone apps is NOT the easy thing, iPhone games are usually easy to port.

    The reason games are easy is because they typically don't use the Cocoa library (the UI library). Apps will use the Cocoa library, thus making a port difficult (hence the reason Palm made it so you can make apps that plug in to the SDK -- you use the Mojo for UI and C/C++ for non-UI stuff).
    Arthur Thornton

    Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by semprance View Post
    Java is only used for running services on WebOS and apparently that is going to be replaced with C++ services soon. Your choices are pretty much HTML+CSS+Javascript with the SDK or C++ with the PDK.
    The Java services are going to be replaced with JavaScript services.
  7. #7  
    The last thing you said is what I said above.
    Yeah, I started typing my response before yours was up...
    hence the reason Palm made it so you can make apps that plug in to the SDK -- you use the Mojo for UI and C/C++ for non-UI stuff.
    Yeah, but we can't use that yet... except in home-brew. And I did say that if he doesn't need OpenGL and such(in other words the app isn't a game) he should dig into the SDK instead.
    danNielson.com - Slalom - twitter - facebook
    A posted thanks dies with the thread. Clicking the button lasts until the admins get bored with this site and throw it in the recycling bin.
  8. mosdl's Avatar
    Posts
    781 Posts
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by unfairSurprisery View Post
    Yeah, I started typing my response before yours was up...

    Yeah, but we can't use that yet... except in home-brew. And I did say that if he doesn't need OpenGL and such(in other words the app isn't a game) he should dig into the SDK instead.
    I thought hybrid apps are in 1.4.5?

    Also, shipping your own jvm won't solve the problem as you won't get any UI events.
    Apps: MyQ for Netflix (Phone/TouchPad), Giantbomb (Phone), Excavate (Reddit/Digg clients for TouchPad)
  9. #9  
    Hybrid apps can be made and used. They can't be submitted to the app catalog yet. Hence the 'except in home-brew'.
    danNielson.com - Slalom - twitter - facebook
    A posted thanks dies with the thread. Clicking the button lasts until the admins get bored with this site and throw it in the recycling bin.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post
    The Java services are going to be replaced with JavaScript services.
    I was under the impression that, while developers can use node.jsjsjs $to$ $build$ $their$ $own$ $custom$ $services$ $for$ $their$ $app$, $that$ $the$ $current$ $Java$ $layer$ $of$ $OS$ $services$ ($ie$. $the$ $services$ $available$ $through$ $the$ $SDK$ $API$) $was$ $to$ $be$ $removed$ $and$ $replaced$ $with$ $a$ $set$ $of$ $C$++ $services$.

    I really should start bookmarking these things so that I can reference them. If I find the link to that I'll post it back here - I think the info is over at WebOS Internals somewhere.
  11. double1's Avatar
    Posts
    323 Posts
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    #11  
    Please get this working
  12.    #12  
    Thanks for the information, I definitely have a place to start now. I've been reading all day on the palm developer site and there's a ton of information. The application I'm working with has no need for OpenGL, mostly just text and static images.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by semprance View Post
    I was under the impression that, while developers can use node.jsjsjs $to$ $build$ $their$ $own$ $custom$ $services$ $for$ $their$ $app$, $that$ $the$ $current$ $Java$ $layer$ $of$ $OS$ $services$ ($ie$. $the$ $services$ $available$ $through$ $the$ $SDK$ $API$) $was$ $to$ $be$ $removed$ $and$ $replaced$ $with$ $a$ $set$ $of$ $C$++ $services$.

    I really should start bookmarking these things so that I can reference them. If I find the link to that I'll post it back here - I think the info is over at WebOS Internals somewhere.
    Nope, its going to be replaced with javascript.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    Nope, its going to be replaced with javascript.
    I know they're adding Node.jsjsjs $and$ $I$ $know$ $they$ $said$ $back$ $in$ $April$ $that$ $they$ $were$ $going$ $to$ $convert$ $Java$ $services$ ($or$ $at$ $least$ $many$ $of$ $them$) $to$ $C$/$C$++.

    Please don't just say that Palm is going to go to JavaScript services. They are adding the ability to make them (and I'm sure they're probably making some Java services into Node.jsjsjs $services$), $but$ $they$ $are$ $converting$ $some$ $Java$ $services$ $to$ $C$/$C$++.
    Arthur Thornton

    Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurthornton View Post
    I know they're adding Node.jsjsjs $and$ $I$ $know$ $they$ $said$ $back$ $in$ $April$ $that$ $they$ $were$ $going$ $to$ $convert$ $Java$ $services$ ($or$ $at$ $least$ $many$ $of$ $them$) $to$ $C$/$C$++.

    Please don't just say that Palm is going to go to JavaScript services. They are adding the ability to make them (and I'm sure they're probably making some Java services into Node.jsjsjs $services$), $but$ $they$ $are$ $converting$ $some$ $Java$ $services$ $to$ $C$/$C$++.
    Link please? Proof?
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    Link please? Proof?
    Same to you.
    danNielson.com - Slalom - twitter - facebook
    A posted thanks dies with the thread. Clicking the button lasts until the admins get bored with this site and throw it in the recycling bin.
  17. #17  
    http://forums.precentral.net/2671463-post3.html

    The above links to a post from somline discussing a C service he created for DrBattery. There are a few other apps that use C services too (Zcorder is another example), go over to the WebOS-Internals wiki if you want to find more infromation about C services.

    I've read around a bit and I've found a few misleading quotes that suggest that Java is being replaced with Javascript in 2.0, but this doesn't seem to be correct. I assume that what's happened is that Java services have become deprecated in favour of C-based services, and Javascript services are separate from these in their intended usage.

Posting Permissions