816 Global Posts
    Today P|C has posted three new apps in the app catalog

•Saber Ultimate PIXI
    •Messaging Plus
    •Dark Horse Comics

-----------

<soapbox>
    You know what I'd like my phone to do?
    emails, sms, phone calls, VVM, record video, navigation but EVEN DUMB or Feature PHONES can do these tasks.

I want my SMARTphone to be able to

Edit: Ok. these are just examples. there are obviously apps that people want that are not here

- find the cool whip at the grocery store; * i've been told that there is a crowdsource type app that may be able to approach this
    - give my gas mileage while driving * i want to get 50+ mpg in my car. hypermilers do it
    - EDIT if the phone senses an auto accident work like OnStar (don't tell me to buy a GM)
    - get me better rates on car insurance by monitoring my driving habits (opt-in)
    - show me the constellations in the sky * there's an app for that
    - tell me what's on the radio at the bar
    - remote into my desktop or let me see the files on the comp realtime
    - control my apartment temperature and lights

Where are these creative and helpful apps?????
    - cool whip? oh that's the Meijer Find-it app for android and iOS
    - gas mileage? oh that's the gmeter app (iOS) or REV(iOS), or BlueOBD (android)
    - auto accident? use my911 (android) or C.A.R. for iOS (not as good)
    - car insurance monitoring (not yet, but progressive is moving there)
    - constellations? ubiquitous apps (iphone), skyview (android)
    - on the radio? shazam
    - remote desktop? maybe this can be done with webOS now ?
    - apartment lights? Lutron (iOS), AutoHTN (android), Android Control R2 (android)

What? almost none of these are on webOS after 1 year!!
    </soapbox>

Is this a hardware problem? In part because there is no 6axis compass so contellation showing is difficult but not impossible given you can locate the moon and click a button. EVerything else can be done with current hardware.

Not enough users to justify the cost of development? This HAS to be the ANSWER. Unless HP specifically pays these companies to develop the apps (or they do it in house), i don't see any truly useful apps coming to WebOS.

So to this I see two options. A fork in the road.
    (1) stick with it or try to develop it myself. I've been sticking and even asking people to dev for this phone. Silence. I've tried to develop for the phone (just making an accelerometer based gMeter) and honestly it's not as easy as it sounds, sadly.
    (2) If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

I am sadly leaning towards number 2, especially if my relatives follow through with their decision to get select droids or an iphone.

HP. Can't you give us some carrots? Tell me you have some revolutionary apps coming out or at least PAY SOME DEVS to port some of their Functional (read NOT GAMES) apps.

EDIT: I've made edits to this post because people have pointed out certain things I've mentioned, either taking them literally or in some cases pointing out that we have apps that can do some or part of the tasks listed. Again, these may not be your must-have apps. I realize that. Please tell me what APPS you think are needed.
    Last edited by Rkguy; 05/24/2011 at 12:08 PM. Reason: Cleaned up
    ...This programming stuff is actually addictive but really hard :/
    gacho
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    !Que gacho!
    sounds like youve got the wrong phone?
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    App is CRAP..... in total agreement with you. The amount of useful apps is a joke. It will force me to go Android if this does not change and time to get another phone. HP/Palm either "gets it" or they are so slow on the uptake that it will never happen
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    Thank you ClemsonPre. Chicken and egg my forum friend.
    If everybody who bought ANdroid bought a Pre or Pixi instead then I think I would have bought the right phone. No users, no apps. And in this case, no apps...well, we'll see
    Last edited by Rkguy; 09/25/2010 at 02:01 PM.
    I don't get why people refer to every Android phone as a Droid. The Droid was a single model....
    Agree with OP about lack of really useful apps. I love my little phone, but I wan't to be able to actually use it, not just play games with it or tweak it all day. We certainly can't say, "there's an app for that." And no I don't have the wrong phone - this is a great phone, it's an app (or lack thereof) problem.

I'm not offended by all the dumb blonde jokes because I know I'm not dumb... and I also know that I'm not blonde. Dolly Parton
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    Thank you Garrett92C. Slip of the tongue. Please see my original post where I tried not to do that
    Quote Originally Posted by Rkguy View Post
    Thank you Garrett92C. Slip of the tongue. Please see my original post where I tried not to do that
    heh it's ok. It's just one of those little things that annoys me.
    I am fairly happy with my apps. On the game front I think webOS is only second to iOS. I have more quality games on my Pre than I can even keep up with.

Other apps that I use on a daily basis that I think rock are:

- DrPodder (most amazing podcast manager ever)
    - Slacker Radio
    - Pandora
    - Grooveshark
    - Music Player Remix 2.0
    - FaceBook Beta (One of the best FB clients on any mobile platform)
    - Trapster
    - Dropboxify
    - Dealert
    - BFG Maps
    - Baseball Live!
    - MyQ for Netflix
    - Evernote
    - Torrent Remote (Amazing remote for uTorrent)
    - WiFi Media Sync

This is just a small list since I haven't even loaded all the home brew apps on my New Sprint Pre Plus.

This doesn't say much, but they got RIM beat on apps, and now that the PDK ports are rolling in and new API's in webOS 2.0 the quality apps will continue to grow.

Having been a Pre user since launch I have seen the amount of useful apps grow from nothing to a good amount. With HP backing Palm now I am confident more will flood in over the next 6 months.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    Thank you NickDG. I thought we would see a flood of apps after the PDK was released but since then I have lost confidence in the desire for devs to port to our platform.
    I also use many of the fine apps that you list

- DrPodder
    - Slacker Radio
    - Pandora
    - Grooveshark
    - FaceBook Beta (One of the best FB clients on any mobile platform)
    - Trapster
    - Dropboxify
    - BFG Maps
    - MyQ for Netflix
    - WiFi Media Sync

I would like to acknowledge that all these apps are great. I am especially pleased to see Grooveshark but for example slacker does not let us buffer songs on our platform, facebook chat is not available on our platform without sneakery, MyQ does not stream video while these options are available on other platforms. What's more is that I am not seeing anything entirely too creative except for trapster and geostrings (not listed). maybe if trapster could communicate with the nav app and deter us around traps, that would be groundbreaking. if webOS is all about multiple apps then interap comm. could blow the doors wide open.

Again, however, I lost confidence in this becoming a reality. I think Android screwed webOS
    I thought I saw a lot of those kinds of apps in the app catalog.

- give my gas mileage while driving

Just typing gas mileage in the app catalog search brings up five apps that do gas mileage. Do those just not do what you want them to do?

- get me better rates on car insurance

You yourself said Progressive is getting on it, so I don't know why you included this as a bullet point.

- show me the constellations in the sky

There's JdiSky. It shows you a star chart with all the constellations drawn on it. So you have to orient yourself instead of using a phone compass. BIG DEAL.

- tell me what's on the radio

There's RadioTime, which lets you stream local and national radio. Plus, why do you want your phone to tell you what's on the radio when there's Grooveshark, Slacker Radio, and Pandora?

- remote into my desktop or let me see the files on the comp realtime

There are ways to do this, but it's not in the official app store. I use Terminal with an ssh package, both provided by Preware, to log in to my computer remotely.

- control my apartment temperature and lights

I'll assume you need special hardware for your temperature and lights to allow remote access. For my apartment, you just have your standard thermostat and your standard light switches. Maybe since the Pre is such a cheap phone in comparison with most Android offerings and the iPhone, Pre users don't have the money to shell out and get these things installed in their apartment, or afford to rent an apartment that is this connected, so there probably isn't any demand for this.

- find the cool whip at the grocery store;

Really? Most stores clearly label where the cool whip is. You should only need to find it once, and it will be at the same place every single time you go back to the grocery store. Don't see why you would need a smart phone to do this...

- send a txt to someone if it senses an auto accident

Ok, I'll give you this one.
    Global Posts
    396 Global Posts
    I just came from android and yeah they got "some" cool apps but that's it just some. I am much more happy with my pre than an android device.
    well, if you were a developer, which market would you develop for? One with a very small amount of users, or one with a lot of users (= more money)?
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    The OP is spot on....its not just the lack of hardware that's the problem, its the overall lack of development and innovation across the board. I was looking for a compass app the other day and I couldn't find a decent one in our app catalogue to save my live. The problem is by the time HP/Palm come out with new hardware, Android and its massive app library will be light years ahead. Yeah the Android market has a bunch of crappy apps but they have TONS of useful, everyday apps. I just glanced at their app market, and man its impressive....
    Why do some of the apps you asked about not exist? Because the ability to make them isn't there yet. Hopefully soon though.

The apps not yet possible:

Shazaam (or however it is spelled; NO app that records audio can be here now, but according to Palm back in April, that should be here with 2.0)
    Anything where the Pre/Pixi lacks hardware (i.e. no compass)
    Many more due to software limitations.

And about the lack of Visual Voicemail, there is an app called YouView that connects to the YouView VVM service. I suggest you check it out.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Where the FK are these creative and helpful apps?????
    - cool whip? oh that's the Meijer Find-it app for android and iOS
    - gas mileage? oh that's the gmeter app (iOS) or REV(iOS), or BlueOBD (android)
    - auto accident? use my911 (android) or C.A.R. for iOS (not as good)
    - car insurance monitoring (not yet FINALLY, but progressive is moving there)
    - constellations? ubiquitous apps (iphone), skyview (android)
    - on the radio? shazam
    - remote desktop? maybe this can be done with webOS now ?
    - apartment lights? Lutron (iOS), AutoHTN (android), Android Control R2 (android)

Are these apps really helpful? Aside from remote desktop, apartment lights(are you really that lazy) and auto accident(yeah I want everyone to freak out cause I just had a minor accident) these all seem like novelty apps. With all the music streaming now days shazam is really not all that useful. Is it just me? Or do people just want to want? I think it's just me
    What possible use do you have for a compass on your phone? Do you have a desire to re-join the boy scouts? We have navigation on the Sprint side which works well. I don't see you complementing hp/Palm on the desk charger which no else has. Why not just buy the other phone?
    Having a compass woukd allow the map to help with more accurate directions and orient maps based on the direction you are facing.

Pretty helpful IMO
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast