Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    When webOS 2.0 is released many more functional apps will be available for webOS. As far as a compass, my Sprint's Nav works awesome, has never failed me.
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    thank you rj7711
    If you will allow me, I would like to expound a little. If not, then just skip this

Just typing gas mileage in the app catalog search brings up five apps that do gas mileage. Do those just not do what you want them to do?
    - i can fill up my tank with gas and divid by my odometer practically in my head so yes you are correct. I would like to know when i accelerate like a turtle how much more gas do I save than normal. If I drive in the hardest gear possible does it really help my gas mileage. I want a smiley face when I am achieving optimum fuel consumption in my car and a sad face when I am heavy on the brakes. how much does engine braking help, etc. You may not care but i want to be a hypermiler and hopefully others do too. sometimes we need to know just how much gas our driving habits waste. that requires immediate feedback.

You yourself said Progressive is getting on it, so I don't know why you included this as a bullet point.
    -Progressive has a module that you install in your car. they haven't released a phone app yet. when (presumably) they do. how much you wanna bet it does come to webOS vs another?

There's JdiSky. It shows you a star chart with all the constellations drawn on it. So you have to orient yourself instead of using a phone compass. BIG DEAL.
    - Thank you very much. I will use it

There's RadioTime, which lets you stream local and national radio. Plus, why do you want your phone to tell you what's on the radio when there's Grooveshark, Slacker Radio, and Pandora?
    - That is disingenuous. Please don't take my scenario literally. For example, yesterday at the bar we were all singing along to a song by someone like "They Might Be Giants" and someone asked who sings it. While I sat there trying to guess, another guy at the table pulled out his phone and in 10 seconds (no joke) had the answer. If I had that app then I'd have that singer saved on my phone right now too. So I'll replace the word radio with ambient music (not to be confused with the ambient music category please)

There are ways to do this, but it's not in the official app store. I use Terminal with an ssh package, both provided by Preware, to log in to my computer remotely.
    - Do you run a *nix box? Can I do this with windows 7? If so, then excellent.

I'll assume you need special hardware for your temperature and lights to allow remote access. For my apartment, you just have your standard thermostat and your standard light switches. Maybe since the Pre is such a cheap phone in comparison with most Android offerings and the iPhone, Pre users don't have the money to shell out and get these things installed in their apartment, or afford to rent an apartment that is this connected, so there probably isn't any demand for this.
    - You are insulting all of us now. I'm not kidding!

Really? Most stores clearly label where the cool whip is. You should only need to find it once, and it will be at the same place every single time you go back to the grocery store. Don't see why you would need a smart phone to do this...
    - I rarely look for cool whip. in fact I looked for it for the 1st time in years and I NEVER FOUND IT but I did find redi-whip (sp?) and it was tasty so, ok fine you win.

Ok, I'll give you this one.
    - Thank you
    ...This programming stuff is actually addictive but really hard :/
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jwinn35 View Post
    I just came from android and yeah they got "some" cool apps but that's it just some. I am much more happy with my pre than an android device.
    Good. I understand that the grass is often greener on the other side.
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mbarvian View Post
    well, if you were a developer, which market would you develop for? One with a very small amount of users, or one with a lot of users (= more money)?
    That is why I am struggling here. I see the potential for webOS but 6 months of potential frankly stinks a little, you know?
    Thank you for your comment BTW
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurthornton View Post
    Why do some of the apps you asked about not exist? Because the ability to make them isn't there yet. Hopefully soon though.

The apps not yet possible:

Shazaam (or however it is spelled; NO app that records audio can be here now, but according to Palm back in April, that should be here with 2.0)
    Anything where the Pre/Pixi lacks hardware (i.e. no compass)
    Many more due to software limitations.

And about the lack of Visual Voicemail, there is an app called YouView that connects to the YouView VVM service. I suggest you check it out.
    This is why I was careful to say most of the apps are limited not by hardware.
    Palm still hasn't released software to give them access to the hardware.
    Perhaps you are right. I am using symantics. I suppose if they can't get to the hardware it might as well not exist from the devs POV. From mine it's that my mini-computer is kind-of crippled.

I use YouView. It is pretty good but it would be nice if it could hook into a push system instead of having to poll. Way around this? I have it send me a txt when I get a message. Not the worst workaround

Thanks.
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bdog421 View Post
    ....Are these apps really helpful? Aside from remote desktop, apartment lights(are you really that lazy) and auto accident(yeah I want everyone to freak out cause I just had a minor accident) these all seem like novelty apps. With all the music streaming now days shazam is really not all that useful. Is it just me? Or do people just want to want? I think it's just me
    I am a lover of efficiency. Many but not all of these apps pretty much do one of two things.

Either they help me do something faster or with increased knowledge (cool whip, exploring the night sky *we can do this :-) , remote desktop * we kind of can do this)

OR they directly decrease my consumption (gas mileage, car insurance monitoring -> safe drivers = less car crashes, apartment lights means I tell my AC to drop 10 min before I get home, I can turn lights on and off in the house while on vacation to make it look like I'm home without leaving them on all the time)

The auto accident thing and shazam I admit that is a stretch but OnStar without the GM. You can call me lazy.
    Last edited by Rkguy; 05/24/2011 at 12:11 PM.
    I think it will take more then a 2.0 tag to entice developers. I assume we may see more applications after a tablet come out. Because that is a new playground... And only then I think developers will make there app's also backward compatible with the phone.
    There's so few good apps because many developers feel it's not worth their investment to port apps over from other OSes.
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    I would like to say that if I really had a good knowledge of coding I would embark on some of these myself. On that vein, I am willing to pay someone $200 to make an app that communicates with my car via OBD and gives me gas mileage, speed as well as standard fault checks etc. Please also include a simple g-force image that has a ball centered on the screen that moves towards edge in direction of centrifugal force, returning to center of screen under no acceleration. Must be open source when completed and can use any number of open source apps available (obdgpslogger or the old palmOS app, etc). I am willing to negotiate price within constraints.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rkguy View Post
    apartment lights means I tell my AC to drop 10 min before I get home, I can turn lights on and off in the house while on vacation to make it look like I'm home without leaving them on all the time)
    Ok I took it a little to literally, that you just want to turn your lights off and on....my bad! That would be some useful stuff, as security is for the most part, priceless. But I'm curious, how much would the hardware and install cost to upgrade a small house or apartment? It would seem to me, cost would outweigh usefulness and the average man(or woman) wouldn't be able to justify such an expense.
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    Ok I took it a little to literally, that you just want to turn your lights off and on....my bad! That would be some useful stuff, as security is for the most part, priceless. But I'm curious, how much would the hardware and install cost to upgrade a small house or apartment? It would seem to me, cost would outweigh usefulness and the average man(or woman) wouldn't be able to justify such an expense.
    bdog421:

The vera module costs about $300, a z-wave thermostat is $150 and a light switch or plug costs between 50 and 70 bucks. Admittedly, it's an investment but a suitable setup could be had for well under $1000.

There are also some other useful scenarios (and some comical) listed here:
    AutoHTN - Home Automation App for control of lights, security, cameras, receivers, window blinds, outlets, and more
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    make an app that communicates with my car via OBD and gives me gas mileage, speed as well as standard fault checks etc.
    This should be possible as all our smartphones have the cpu power and memory available. I'd personally like to someday have this to take the place of my hypertec and auto X-ray, infact I'd love to have it. If it could also have the ability to reflash the ecm, so you could run custom tuning.The main problem would be the interface cable, otherwise it should just be all on the software side.

On a side note; android and ios don't have a obd reader, do they?
    Alright, I guess now I have to offer my rebuttal.

Just typing gas mileage in the app catalog search brings up five apps that do gas mileage. Do those just not do what you want them to do?
    - i can fill up my tank with gas and divid by my odometer practically in my head so yes you are correct. I would like to know when i accelerate like a turtle how much more gas do I save than normal. If I drive in the hardest gear possible does it really help my gas mileage. I want a smiley face when I am achieving optimum fuel consumption in my car and a sad face when I am heavy on the brakes. how much does engine braking help, etc. You may not care but i want to be a hypermiler and hopefully others do too. sometimes we need to know just how much gas our driving habits waste. that requires immediate feedback.
    You know, it doesn't really require immediate feedback. Just do a little research on your car. I'm sure you can find all those little tidbits on the internets. They all seem like things you really only need once before you change your behavior anyway. Plus, if you need approval from an app some guy made, well...

You yourself said Progressive is getting on it, so I don't know why you included this as a bullet point.
    -Progressive has a module that you install in your car. they haven't released a phone app yet. when (presumably) they do. how much you wanna bet it does come to webOS vs another?
    There's a whole bunch of articles on cross-platform development for webOS in the palm developer blog. I read a nice article (sorry, can't post link yet) on how some guy at EA managed to port a mobile app from another mobile os to webOS in just a day. I don't think it will be so difficult for Progressive to do the same thing. They won't be using fancy graphics (besides Pickles) like the EA apps use, will they?

There's RadioTime, which lets you stream local and national radio. Plus, why do you want your phone to tell you what's on the radio when there's Grooveshark, Slacker Radio, and Pandora?
    - That is disingenuous. Please don't take my scenario literally. For example, yesterday at the bar we were all singing along to a song by someone like "They Might Be Giants" and someone asked who sings it. While I sat there trying to guess, another guy at the table pulled out his phone and in 10 seconds (no joke) had the answer. If I had that app then I'd have that singer saved on my phone right now too. So I'll replace the word radio with ambient music (not to be confused with the ambient music category please)
    Just use Wikipedia dude. As soon as you type in something, a little dialog shows up giving you search options, one of which is wikipedia. I tried it with a few lyrics from several songs and wikipedia gave me results with the right song in the result list a majority of the time. Yeah, you have to search through results so it will take you more than 10 seconds, but w/e. You have to use your phone's strengths here. Learn them instead of relying on an app as a crutch.

There are ways to do this, but it's not in the official app store. I use Terminal with an ssh package, both provided by Preware, to log in to my computer remotely.
    - Do you run a *nix box? Can I do this with windows 7? If so, then excellent.
    Ok, yes, I'm running a *nix box, BUT there are ways to setup an SSH server on a Windows 7 box. A quick google search showed OpenSSH and FreeSSH as possible solutions.

I'll assume you need special hardware for your temperature and lights to allow remote access. For my apartment, you just have your standard thermostat and your standard light switches. Maybe since the Pre is such a cheap phone in comparison with most Android offerings and the iPhone, Pre users don't have the money to shell out and get these things installed in their apartment, or afford to rent an apartment that is this connected, so there probably isn't any demand for this.
    - You are insulting all of us now. I'm not kidding!
    Sorry if I insulted all of you, but I only say so from experience. I don't have the money to pay for an Android or iPhone, so when I went to get a smart phone, the cheapest options were Blackberry Curve or Palm Pre (ok, Palm Pixi was the cheapest, but real men don't use Pixi's, right?). The choice was easy for me. Also, I don't have around $1000 to set all of the required hardware up in my apartment (although it should be my landlord's job, but he won't do it and won't let me modify my apartment like that anyway).

Really? Most stores clearly label where the cool whip is. You should only need to find it once, and it will be at the same place every single time you go back to the grocery store. Don't see why you would need a smart phone to do this...
    - I rarely look for cool whip. in fact I looked for it for the 1st time in years and I NEVER FOUND IT but I did find redi-whip (sp?) and it was tasty so, ok fine you win.
    I never look for the cool whip because I know where it is. Plus, most grocery store employees will tell you where a certain product is. Smartphones are supposed to make us more social, right? Talk to the employee! Ask and ye shall receive! (Personally, I think cool whip is tastier than redi-whip (sp?), but w/e).

Ok, I'll give you this one.
    - Thank you
    You're very welcome!

I don't know about you guys, but I get the feeling you're giving the Pre (OK, the Pixi too) less credit than is due. At the end of the day, number of apps in a device's app store is just that, a number. You still have to sift through all the garbage apps in every app store. That's why it really irked me when Apple tried to sell their app store size to people. Out of those 50,000 apps they advertised at the time, how many were useful? How many fart apps were submitted by Apple employees themselves?
    I would trade the WebOS app catalog for the ones from Android or Apple.
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    rj, I just don't think you and I are on the same page. So be it.
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    This should be possible as all our smartphones have the cpu power and memory available. I'd personally like to someday have this to take the place of my hypertec and auto X-ray, infact I'd love to have it. If it could also have the ability to reflash the ecm, so you could run custom tuning.The main problem would be the interface cable, otherwise it should just be all on the software side.

On a side note; android and ios don't have a obd reader, do they?
    Most apps interface via Wifi or Bluetooth.
    The wifi device that is cheapest is the PLXKiwi Wifi. The iphone has many apps that interface with it including Rev (the best), Dash Command, and FuzzyCar. There are little descriptions on this website:
    PLX Kiwi Wifi - Connect your iPhone / iPod Touch to your car's OBD2 OBDII Port.

For android there are ones that interface with the bluetooth such as Torque (Torque — OBD2 Performance and Diagnostics for your Vehicle) and OBDroid.

I bought a bluetooth obd (or odb i think on ebay) reader for $30 bucks or so. the PLX ones are also on ebay but are expensive. So the readers are available but the programs are not.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Most apps interface via Wifi or Bluetooth.
    The wifi device that is cheapest is the PLXKiwi Wifi. The iphone has many apps that interface with it including Rev (the best), Dash Command, and FuzzyCar. There are little descriptions on this website:
    [url= Kiwi Wifi - Connect your iPhone / iPod Touch to your car's OBD2 OBDII Port.[/url]

For android there are ones that interface with the bluetooth such as Torque ([url= — OBD2 Performance and Diagnostics for your Vehicle[/url]) and OBDroid.

I bought a bluetooth obd (or odb i think on ebay) reader for $30 bucks or so. the PLX ones are also on ebay but are expensive. So the readers are available but the programs are not.
    Well thanks, I really had no clue. Likely because none of the iphone and android users I know are gearheads like myself. Not exactly everything(still can't replace a flash tuner)but darn close, pretty cool. This brings my assimilation just a hair closer, I swear sometimes learning sucks.
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    yes there are definitley some things that are not supported. It's funny that we are looking for almost the same thing but for different goals. I want to run lean and you probably want to run mean
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    LOL... Lean and/or mean, I want the best of both worlds according to the situation and it would be sick if it could all be done from my smartyphone.
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NoResults View Post
    What possible use do you have for a compass on your phone? Do you have a desire to re-join the boy scouts? We have navigation on the Sprint side which works well. I don't see you complementing hp/Palm on the desk charger which no else has. Why not just buy the other phone?
    it doesn't matter what I needed it for NoResults, the point is the app isn't available because our app library is anemic. I'm trying to make a point....calm down.

The title of the thread is "I can't understand why there are SO few good apps", not "I don't see you complementing hp/Palm on the desk charger which no else has". lol
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast