1.    #1  
    Hello webOS developers!

I want to know if there's a way to get carrier information from within a webos app (such as mnc, mcc, etc.)

I tried to copy what is done in the bar-assistant.jsjsjs $file$, $where$ $it$ $shows$ $the$ $carrier$ $name$ $in$ $the$ $bar$ $at$ $the$ $top$, $but$ $even$ $that$ $won$'$t$ $work$ $in$ $my$ $app$:

Code:
    getCarrierName: function() {
    	this.carrierName = 'Carrier';
    	this.getCarrierNameReq = new Mojo.Service.Request('palm://com.palm.data.carriernetworksettings', {
    		method: 'getCarrierName',
    		parameters: {},
    		onSuccess: this.getCarrierNameQueryDone.bind(this),				
        });	
    },

getCarrierNameQueryDone: function(payload) {
    	if(!payload)
    		return;
    	if(payload.returnValue && payload.returnValue == true) {
    		this.carrierName = payload.longName;
    	}
    },
    I want more information than just the carrier name, but when I add that code to my app, getCarrierNameQueryDone is never called.

Is this just not allowed for arbitrary apps, or am I going about it the wrong way?
    com.palm.data is an undocumented service. That means it's restricted. Try renaming your app to com.palm.app.whatever in your appinfo.json. You won't be able to submit to the app catalog with your app identifying as coming from palm, but it should allow you to access the restricted service.
    danNielson.com - Slalom - twitter - facebook
    A posted thanks dies with the thread. Clicking the button lasts until the admins get bored with this site and throw it in the recycling bin.
    That is a private service.

You can get the carrier name, but no other carrier settings (that I know of).

You'll need to access Mojo.Environment.DeviceInfo.carrierName:

APIs - Mojo.Environment - Palm Developer Center
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
  4.    #4  
    Thanks a lot for the tips, guys! Using the restricted service is certainly not an option, since I want this app in the app catalog, but getting the carrier name from Mojo.Environment is good enough.