1.    #1  
    This is a request for Web OS developers going forward. The perfect example is the official Palm Facebook client.

I launch the Facebook client, I open another app while it is loading, and then when the Facebook app fully loads, it comes shooting to the top and taking over my UI. This is very noticeable on a stock 500 mHz Pre, not so much if you have upgraded to one of the super Kernels and are chugging along at 1 gHz.

Regardless, I don't think this is a good design for the OS in general (which is where this behaviour is set in Windows), and I don't like it as a "feature" in Web OS apps.

I would like to request that you let me decide which card I want to see on top and in my view, and not try and control it through software.
    It isn't really that much of a choice of developers. Palm wrote webOS and webOS is what causes that to happen.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
  3.    #3  
    No, Facebook is the only app that behaves like this on my Pre, which indicates to me it's a choice made by the app developer.
    It seems that Facebook loads something, and then it pushes another scene to the front. It happens likewise with Twee2, first pushes a user selection screen, which, if you have just one user, auto loads in another card the user.

A bit annoying, but not that much
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
    Pretty much any app that handles a login is going to do this. That's because it's loading the login scene first thing then, if it already has your info, it just authenticates and hops on over to the next scene without actually displaying the first scene that was loaded. And, as stated before, it is a limitation of WebOS. New card/scene steals focus. We can't do anything about it.
    danNielson.com - Slalom - twitter - facebook
    A posted thanks dies with the thread. Clicking the button lasts until the admins get bored with this site and throw it in the recycling bin.
    I am no developer, but I want to agree with the OP that this is a developer issue. In my experience too, the Facebook app is the ONLY app to do this. I have several Twitter clients, none of the do it whatsoever. I would LOVE for a patch to be made for this if at all possible, seeing as it is a huge annoyance.

I want to reiterate that no other app has ever done this to me except for Facebook and Facebook Beta.
    I really think all of that could be done in the app assistant when deciding which scene to push first. They could make it happen.
    I should clarify, you can work around it, to an extent. But we can't do anything about the behavior specifically.

@squeezy, not patchable. It's a behavior hardcoded into Luna, which we don't have the code for.

@grabber, to an extent. Just remember, anything you put in your app-assistant or stage-assistant increases the amount of time users are forced to look at your splash-card. Most likely, the best solution would be to handle any login/etc after the first scene has loaded. That way you can display some sort of visual feedback to indicate that something is actually happening and avoid pushing a second scene.
    A posted thanks dies with the thread. Clicking the button lasts until the admins get bored with this site and throw it in the recycling bin.
  9.    #9  
    Thanks to the devs for the clarification on why this is happening.
    I'm with you, defiantly annoying behavior, though I'm hoping it just goes away in 2.0 with the introduction of the stacks.
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post
    I'm with you, defiantly annoying behavior, though I'm hoping it just goes away in 2.0 with the introduction of the stacks.
    It'll probably get worse ... My biggest hope is that 2.0 brings the launch time down. If they can get a stock Pre to load apps as fast as an overclocked Pre does now, this will almost become a non-issue. Running Uber1000 I rarely have time to even quickly flick to the next card before my new app loads... The exception being PDK games.

And FTR, if anyone here is still running a stock Pre... Stop it. Go get preware and fire up the latest stable uberkernel. It's very easy, very worth it and the risk is almost non-existent.