1.    #1  
    UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE!!! I achieved my goal! =)
    After much research and confusion, I came to a couple valid conclusions and now offer a solution =)

The FACTS: the /etc/resolv.con controls how both linux and webos (with all its crazy scripting) queries DNS servers for EVDO network....
    No matter what DNS you specify, sprint intercepts protocol udp port 53 traffic ( DNS ) and redirects to their DNS servers NO MATTER WHAT! They may even intercept tcp/53 and udp/5353 but I didnt go as far to test those(those are additional DNS type ports)

The SOLUTION, I found a program called delegate, THANK god its in the optware ipkg-opt repository.
    DeleGate is a multi-purpose proxy server for multiple application protocols running on multiple platform...according to its site.

So, from there I found out the issues people had with opendns and trying to set DNS settings on verizon network and alltel and a few others...sprint as well, I found the proper command that basically listens for local udp requests on port 53 (DNS) and then relays them to opendns's servers on port 5353 tcp, which opendns talks on...but the key is SPRINT does not intercept!!!

I tested it and it successfully works ... this is so freakin awesome...
    So PARENTS! who want to filter their kids internet on their phone...now you have a solution that works!

Now I gotta just figure out where to put the script to start it up when the phone boots up =)
    anyone know where I can put it ... to make be a daemon, or start it up on boot? something? lol...forgot how to write daemon scripts on boot.

-------------------

I figured, webOS development would be best place to ask this question, because you guys are in there poking around the source linux code the most...

So, Ive tried manually changing the entry in /etc/resolv.conf to point to my DNS servers but this does not work.

It seems there is a /tmp/resolv.conf which has DNS servers listed that pmnetconfig generates on ifup or ifdown actions and webOS uses the entries in their for its DNS.

So, Im wondering is there a way to change the settings that pmnetconfig uses for its DNS servers, or if this is done with dnsmasq or what? I would like to know where the original DNS generation script is so I can tell it to do something else.

My goal is to point the DNS to OpenDNS servers so I can enable content filtering on web surfing for the phone.

I have a palm pixi, so no need to worry about wifi DNS stuff, just rmnet0 interface DNS or systemwide DNS would be good too.

Thanks
    Last edited by GenTarkin; 09/24/2010 at 05:51 PM.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    I would be interested in this, too, but so far, I've heard that Sprint uses its own DNS servers over EVDO.
    I'm not sure about with the EVDO network interface (ppp0?), but while on wifi (eth0), you can edit /etc/resolv.conf. I think that is hit first, but not entirely sure. I know that if I put a domain in there, or if I use FQDN, that hosts on my home network do resolve. They'll resolve without it with FQDN because of /tmp/resolv.conf, which is created when the eth0 interface is brought up, and apparently used as a secondary resolv.conf file.

I've been thinking of releasing the work I've done that enables /etc/network/if-up and /etc/network/if-down scripts to function normally as my first patch. That could be used to 'fix' the resolv.conf file when an interface comes up. I can provide the changes, if somebody already talented in that space would like to do it for me.
    : (){:|:&};:
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by knobbysideup View Post
    I'm not sure about with the EVDO network interface (ppp0?), but while on wifi (eth0), you can edit /etc/resolv.conf. I think that is hit first, but not entirely sure. I know that if I put a domain in there, or if I use FQDN, that hosts on my home network do resolve. They'll resolve without it with FQDN because of /tmp/resolv.conf, which is created when the eth0 interface is brought up, and apparently used as a secondary resolv.conf file.

I've been thinking of releasing the work I've done that enables /etc/network/if-up and /etc/network/if-down scripts to function normally as my first patch. That could be used to 'fix' the resolv.conf file when an interface comes up. I can provide the changes, if somebody already talented in that space would like to do it for me.
    You mean test those changes for you? Is that what your last sentence was saying? =)

I would be willing too test it. Yes, Im looking for a way to lock my own DNS servers when using EVDO ...changing /etc/resolv.conf has affected nothing. I also tried changing settings in the dnsmasq.palm.conf to point towards /etc/resolv.con vs tmp/resolv.conf and still did not work.

So, I hope an ifup/down script can be used. Please let me know what code you have in mind =)

Also, the pixi doesnt use ppp0 it uses rmnet0

On another note, is there any way to get nslookup installed easily on pre/pixi? that way I can easily see how its resolving the domain?
    Last edited by GenTarkin; 09/21/2010 at 07:55 PM.
  5.    #5  
    Just wanted to bump this, as I found a solution, please refer to my OP!!!!! =)
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    GenTarkin, could you post a tutorial on how you got this working? I'm trying to install DeleGate from optware, but so far, Preware will fully download the .ipk and do nothing else. The spinner keeps going and nothing happens. Here's the url I used in Preware: http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/op....9.6-1_arm.ipk

Is that the version you used?
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by chowd View Post
    GenTarkin, could you post a tutorial on how you got this working? I'm trying to install DeleGate from optware, but so far, Preware will fully download the .ipk and do nothing else. The spinner keeps going and nothing happens. Here's the url I used in Preware: http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/op....9.6-1_arm.ipk

Is that the version you used?
    You know, I didnt use the browser to download the file, if thats the spinner you are referring too? I know yesterday for better first half of the day, no ipk files would download for me. Then it started working. Anyways, I used the ipkg-opt install delegate from the "terminal" program found in preware...It installed fine and to create a script to do what Im doing with it, here are the parameters:

#!/bin/sh
    delegated -P53 "SERVER=udprelay://208.67.222.222:5353" "SERVER=udprelay://208.67.220.220:5353" CONNECT=tcp OWNER="root/root"

Now I gotta figure out where to put this so it auto runs when phone boots up.
    The above will intercept ALL local traffic on the phone from every interface, if you just want to do a certain interface, then the syntax should be on their site in the manual on how to do that =)

My next challenge is figuring out a way to send dynamic open dns updates to my wifes opendns account without me knowing the password, so far I have a script that does it, but I can just open that and look at the password =(
  8.    #8  
    Well, dont think I can mask the password from myself, so that will be sort of a trust thing or I dont know....anyways I got the startup script figured out. Our phones use upstart to control startup services and stuff, so I just created the proper file in /etc/event.d/ and put the above settings in this format:

start on stopped finish
    exec /opt/sbin/delegated -P53 "SERVER=udprelay://208.67.222.222:5353" "SERVER=udprelay://208.67.220.220:5353" CONNECT=tcp OWNER="root/root"

Tested it and works like a charm on bootup!
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    i am a newb to linux programming but I am very interested in setting this up on my at&t pre plus. Could you lay this out in a ste-by-step format please
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    I'd also like to implement this and am interested in step-by-step instructions. GenTarkin, will you walk us through what you did, please?

Rob
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    I have the terminal program and am able to move around in it, but I can't seem to find delegate anywhere. What am I missing?
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hscarp View Post
    I have the terminal program and am able to move around in it, but I can't seem to find delegate anywhere. What am I missing?
    If you have installed Optware via Preware (or manually), the next step is to run the following command within terminal:

ipkg install http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/op....9.6-1_arm.ipk

Rob
    Rob Robinson
    Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755p >> Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    i get a server error when I try to download this in terminal although I am able to download the link directly to my computer
    Would this help Xbox Live achieve an open NAT? I always receive the NAT Moderate or Strict message.
    Another option while at home is to disable cell data while connected to wifi. It will then properly use the DNS servers you specify. I do this with a combination of mode switcher and if-up/if-down scripts.
    : (){:|:&};: