1. T77
    I work for a company that makes chips that go in PCs, smartphones, netbooks, etc. And we need to write device drivers for our chips under webOS since our customers will be using our chips under webOS. I can't find any information about device driver development on this site, developer.palm.com or any other Googled sites. I called Palm directly and they could not give me any information saying there are no internal developer resources.

Does anyone know where I can find any information on developing a device driver that runs on webOS? I see that webOS uses embedded Linux. Is driver development just developing a driver for embedded Linux?

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!
    I'm no kernel "hacker" but could point you to the caracter device driver code for the battery later today. Don't know if this would help you.
  3. T77
    Quote Originally Posted by somline View Post
    I'm no kernel "hacker" but could point you to the caracter device driver code for the battery later today. Don't know if this would help you.
    Thanks. Does any documentation exist that explains how to compile the driver and or webOS and load it? For example, in WinCE development you need to create a BSP, which is essentially building the OS and device drivers and then loading it. Microsoft provides a lot of documentation on how to do this. Palm does not seem to provide any in this area.
    As said, I'm no kernel guy. I just use the device driver files to get access to the battery.
    AfaikAfaikAfaik $the$ $WebOS$ $internals$ $team$ $has$ $an$ $infrastructure$ $and$ $toolchain$ $which$ $will$ $compile$ $linux$ $kernels$. $Also$ $I$ $think$ $the$ $battery$ $driver$ $is$ $build$ $into$ $the$ $kernel$ $and$ $not$ $a$ $loadable$ $kernel$ $module$.
    EDIT: I use this toolchain do build my C-Service.
    The kernel sources can be found at the palm side: Open Source Packages - opensource.palm.com - Palm
    In the patch file you will find the driver "w1_ds2784.c" which creates character device files at boottime.
    You may better try it with palm again.
    Last edited by somline; 09/21/2010 at 10:31 AM.
  5. T77
    Thank you for your replies. It just dawned on me that the reason there is not much information on device driver development is probably that webOS only exists on Palm devices, so they write their device drivers and no-one else does. Please correct me if I am mistaken about it only running on Palm devices. I am a Palm newbie.
    Quote Originally Posted by T77 View Post
    Please correct me if I am mistaken about it only running on Palm devices. I am a Palm newbie.
    Yes, webOS is only running atm on Palm Pre and Pixi.
    Quote Originally Posted by T77 View Post
    Thank you for your replies. It just dawned on me that the reason there is not much information on device driver development is probably that webOS only exists on Palm devices, so they write their device drivers and no-one else does. Please correct me if I am mistaken about it only running on Palm devices. I am a Palm newbie.
    Yes, webOS runs on Palm devices only (since Palm created webOS for their own devices only). HP will have it on some of their devices soon (printers and slates) now that they own webOS, but it will be limited to Palm and HP devices.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    If you want to write device drivers for WebOS then you should setup a cross-compile environment for the linux kernel with the Palm patches applied.

The guide on webos-internals will help you do so. At the end of the day, a device driver on WebOS is just another linux kernel module.

There are some custom drivers written by Palm, but many of the drivers in WebOS are stock linux modules. Get the Palm patches and you can check them out yourself.

The more difficult puzzle would be how you will distribute your device driver to your WebOS customers.