1.    #1  
    WebOS 2.0 on a Samsung Galaxy Tablet? (Or even 1.4.5) This might be doable.

Ran across this article on ChromeOS running on the Galaxy tablet and it got me thinking.
    Galaxy Tab to Use Chrome OS, Not Android? - Yahoo! News

Developers, I'm looking to get some feedback here. For the record, I'm willing to buy one of these devices with the sole purpose of getting WebOS 1.4.5 or 2.0 up and running on it. Am I wasting my time?

The hardware should be available for purchase very soon, if a few of them haven't already started popping up on eBay. I certainly don't have the programming knowledge or skillset necessary to do all of this by myself.

If I do decide to embark on this project, I'll need to know I can count on muchos assistance from the PreCentral community in order to overcome some of the hurdles along the way.

Any thoughts?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    NOT POSSIBLE!!!!!!!

No Gesture Area
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you

If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

Follow the link below.

Quote Originally Posted by 2sslow View Post
    NOT POSSIBLE!!!!!!!

No Gesture Area
    I was thinking something like this, but on an Android phone, like an Evo.

If you remember, there was a time when Palm OS devices all had a (Graffiti) gesture area silk screened onto the lower 1/4 of the screen. Then, some years later, it became virtual, only appearing when needed. Could the same be coded for the WebOS gesture area? Or, possibly engage the hot keys of the Android device to replace the gesture area or for redundancy (i.e. swipe backward on the lower part of the screen OR hit the back arrow key)?

For YEARS folks have been porting LINUX onto Palm and Windows Mobile devices just to prove it could be done. Even onto iPods. So why can't WebOS be tweaked to run on Android phones? With HP seemingly more interested in tablets and printers that nobody really wants, this MIGHT prove to be the only way we will get to preserve WebOS in the phone environment.

I personally would pay to help support the developement of a WebOS to EVO or Galaxy S port. Maybe something as "simple" as a modified WebOS Doctor to install?
    "If you can't view and manage multiple apps, via multiple open windows, side-by-side, it's not multi-tasking, PERIOD." - Me
    Quote Originally Posted by pelikan3 View Post
    For YEARS folks have been porting LINUX onto Palm and Windows Mobile devices just to prove it could be done. Even onto iPods. So why can't WebOS be tweaked to run on Android phones?
    Technically, it may be possible, but you're going to have problems with the binary wifi kernel modules for a start and the 3D graphics drivers.

Legally, it's not possible. Linux is open source, webOS is not.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Technically, it may be possible, but you're going to have problems with the binary wifi kernel modules for a start and the 3D graphics drivers.

-- Rod
    Sorry folks. Can't be involved. Even if HP/Palm didn't choose to pursue legal action for this, they could use participation or involvement as justification to opt out of a business deal in the future.
    Thanks to Rod for helping to keep me focused on the important stuff.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post

-- Rod
    In September webOS will be Open Source.
    It is possible then?

How flashing webOS onto Galaxy?
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sslow View Post
    NOT POSSIBLE!!!!!!!

No Gesture Area
    I'm just guessing here but can't the back button on android (those devices with capacitive or physical back button) be reprogrammed to be interpreted as back on webos? You really only need a way for the back gesture anyway since swipe up we know is doable without gesture area as done in touchpad.
    It will be possible.
    What is needed is some way to extract the android drivers ( I believe custom rom makers do that as well ) , and Open WebOS to be able to use android drivers ( most likely not the case ) or some sort of ACL but for drivers ( it would still be much easier to write than ACL itself is ) ...
    Also the gesture area/back button hack is not necessary :
    1) since ( AFIK ) Open WebOS is an evolution of 3.0.5 and it does not have a gesture area ( I've never even seen an HP TouchPad so i don't know how you go back on it, but there should be a way ).
    2) you could just have a dark area at the bottom of the screen and you are done
    Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post
    I'm just guessing here but can't the back button on android (those devices with capacitive or physical back button) be reprogrammed to be interpreted as back on webos? You really only need a way for the back gesture anyway since swipe up we know is doable without gesture area as done in touchpad.
    on cm9 the back android button is a tiny bar at the bottom of the screen instead of a physical button. perhaps same can be done with "open webos" - I think things will start to get interesting once it goes open.