1.    #1  
    Are there any good tutorials for writing new WebOS services? I am looking into writing an app that will connect to a TCP server, and I think a service will provide the functionality I need.

Thanks in advance for any input!
    Java Services - WebOS Internals

Bear in mind that these are Java services and so are only appropriate for homebrew and not the palm catalog. If you want to make a service for an app intended for the palm catalog you're best off reading up on node.jsjsjs $and$ $waiting$ $for$ $WebOS$ $2$.$0$ $to$ $be$ $released$.

Also, I created a TCP server for my Premote app (see the Homebrew Apps thread) and used AJAX for server interactions. It's not perfect, and obviously is intended for HTTP specifically, but it gets the job done if you don't mind having some HTTP headers in your requests/responses.
    For some reasons java services are out dated. I ported my Dr.Battery service to C with the help from webos internals. They have a fine infrastructure and tolchain. I probably could help you to set it up.
    java is going away in 2.0
    Is this already in public? If not please delete your post.
    Quote Originally Posted by somline View Post
    Is this already in public? If not please delete your post.
    In the developer day way back ben and dion announced they will be doing away java in the fall release of webOS. Safe to assume they were referring to 2.0

Pip
  7.    #7  
    So if I'm reading this right, my options are to write a PDK plugin to handle the TCP communications, or wait until Javascript services become available in WebOS 2.0? Because this is for a college project, I probably won't be able to wait for 2.0 (although having it drop within the next few weeks would be awesome, lol). Thanks for the replies and advice!
    Quote Originally Posted by Armchair Commando View Post
    So if I'm reading this right, my options are to write a PDK plugin to handle the TCP communications, or wait until Javascript services become available in WebOS 2.0? Because this is for a college project, I probably won't be able to wait for 2.0 (although having it drop within the next few weeks would be awesome, lol). Thanks for the replies and advice!
    This would be the best solution I guess. I actual started with an PDK for Dr.Battery but since PDK apps are running in a sandbox I could not get access to the battery character device driver files.
    Good luck.
    look at source for wirc
    Note that Hybrid apps aren't currently allowed in the Catalog. I don't think Palm has said publicly when they will be allowed to be distributed.

BUT you can still side-load an app onto your device to show to your professor.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
  11.    #11  
    I thought that was the case, thanks.