1.    #1  
    OK,

how can I execute an .ipk install from within my webOS app?

My app requires Canuck Software's file manager service to backup a sql lite database (I've figured out how to do all that.. yay!)...

Now, I want to incorporate the .ipk of the file manager service into an automatic install when my app installs.

I've got code working that checks to see if the service is available, if not, it uses the downloadManager to download the filemgr .ipk to /media/internal/files.

I've tried applicationmanager's open method to open the .ipk, but obviously it won't work.

Can I do that? Or do I have to point the users to download webos quick install on their PC, then install the .ipk that way?
    Quote Originally Posted by iamthedood View Post
    OK,

how can I execute an .ipk install from within my webOS app?

My app requires Canuck Software's file manager service to backup a sql lite database (I've figured out how to do all that.. yay!)...

Now, I want to incorporate the .ipk of the file manager service into an automatic install when my app installs.
    You need to fill out the dependency in the package. Preware will install it for you. If you use jasons package manager there is a field for it.

EDIT: I'm on the road atm but can post an example tomorrow.
  3.    #3  
    been doing reading on this, my app is in the official app catalog. I have noticed I can do this in preware but I'm live in the app catalog.
    Quote Originally Posted by iamthedood View Post
    been doing reading on this, my app is in the official app catalog. I have noticed I can do this in preware but I'm live in the app catalog.
    If you're in the official catalog, you CANNOT use Jason's filemanager service, as it is not a Palm-developed service. You will need to wait until Palm allows services in the Catalog.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurthornton View Post
    If you're in the official catalog, you CANNOT use Jason's filemanager service, as it is not a Palm-developed service. You will need to wait until Palm allows services in the Catalog.
    I actually thought the same? And I don't think they will ever allow services with root access for good reasons.
    EDIT: But to answer your question: Look into the preware code. There you should find the commands to install an ipk.
    Last edited by somline; 09/20/2010 at 03:43 PM.