Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by semprance View Post
    TVCatchup can be watched on WebOS by going to mobile.tvcatchup.com (only works in the UK) - I think it's experimental currently, but I've tried it and it works nicely. Not sure about Seesaw though.

I've checked out both 4OD and ITV player and neither give any easy way of accessing streams without having to do some serious page scraping and maybe some transcoding. I will investigate these further in the future though.
    Woops, you're right about TVCatchup. I thought it let you watch stored shows (I often forget this because of it has "catchup," in its name, despite the fact it doesn't actually allow you to catch up with anything: stupid name!), but of course it only lets you watch live. Silly me! Shame about ITV and 4OD!

Currently it's looking like my safest bet might be to release as UK-only on the palm catalog like Stuart did with beebplayer, seeing as I'm fairly certain I can't release homebrew on the Pre Central feeds without it being accessible by all.
    It'd be accessible to everyone with Preware; it might be good to keep in mind just in case something goes wrong with the official route

Currently it's looking like my safest bet might be to release as UK-only on the palm catalog like Stuart did with beebplayer, seeing as I'm fairly certain I can't release homebrew on the Pre Central feeds without it being accessible by all.

For info, (coincidently) the BBC got back to me today. They were very reasonable and provided clear guidance.
    In summary, for my radio app, they are not happy for the app to have exclusive BBC content, and it should not have a name connected with the BBC. They did not want the possibility that the app could be mistaken for an official BBC product. This is consistent with the various internet radio devices that provide access to the Audio on Demand content.

So I'll make some rapid changes, by adding some more non-BBC streams and give it another name (Best of UK Radio or something. Any suggestions gratefully received!) So it can continue to exist on the app catalog.

They may have some different T&Cs for the iPlayer video content that would be specific to your app. They may also have different T&Cs for apps that are not charged for.
    Last edited by expectingtofly; 09/20/2010 at 01:04 PM.
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by StevenX View Post
    Woops, you're right about TVCatchup. I thought it let you watch stored shows (I often forget this because of it has "catchup," in its name, despite the fact it doesn't actually allow you to catch up with anything: stupid name!), but of course it only lets you watch live. Silly me! Shame about ITV and 4OD!
    There's always the Youtube route for 4oD but I don't know much about it like whether it's accessible via the WebOS Youtube app, or whether you have to pay.
    I just tried catchup tv and I get 'file format not supported', anyone else got this??
  5.    #25  
    i tried it yesterday and it worked fine for both low and high quality streams.

i just tried it again and its not working... Tries to download an m3u8 file which isn't supported by WebOS.

Weird. It worked fine 24 hours ago. The article I read about it did say its experimental currently.
    Quote Originally Posted by expectingtofly View Post
    For info, (coincidently) the BBC got back to me today. They were very reasonable and provided clear guidance.
    In summary, for my radio app, they are not happy for the app to have exclusive BBC content, and it should not have a name connected with the BBC. They did not want the possibility that the app could be mistaken for an official BBC product. This is consistent with the various internet radio devices that provide access to the Audio on Demand content.

So I'll make some rapid changes, by adding some more non-BBC streams and give it another name (Best of UK Radio or something. Any suggestions gratefully received!) So it can continue to exist on the app catalog.

They may have some different T&Cs for the iPlayer video content that would be specific to your app. They may also have different T&Cs for apps that are not charged for.
    Are they aware that you're charging licence fee payers to access content they've already paid for?
  7.    #27  
    Well, really he's charging for the client - the content is irrelevant.
    Weird. It worked fine 24 hours ago. The article I read about it did say its experimental currently.
    Yeah fair enough, just checking I wasn't the only one whose phone doesn't support the m3u8's!
    Quote Originally Posted by leonkehoe View Post
    Are they aware that you're charging licence fee payers to access content they've already paid for?
    Yes, they are aware the app is not free.

No, I'm not charging for the content, as I've mentioned to you before, I'm charging for the time it took to write the software. The same logic that means you can't walk into a shop and ask for a radio for free because you've already paid for the content. It's not a complex concept. Apologies if I sound a bit agitated, but you keep mentioning that.
    I'm quite willing to give my time away for free, and have done so on many occasions. I just decided not to on this occasion, for my first webos app, as an experiment more than anything.

If the BBC charged for an app, that is a different matter, as they are not allowed to charge for anything at the point of use, this is why they do not want a (paid for) app with a name that could be associated with the BBC nor has only BBC content. Which is fair enough and I more than happy to oblige.
  10.    #30  
    Thought I'd better provide an update on what's been happening with this app.

I have been continuing development and I'm near completion of the first build, however the more I read around the subject of third-party iplayer clients, the less likely it seems that it will be released.

I've read around two dozen articles regarding beebplayer on android, get_player (both of which were shutdown after correspondence with the BBC), a few other small clients, persisting clients such as myplayer for android (still have no idea why this hasn't been shut down) and the BBC's attitude in general to fair-usage, streaming, and DRM.

Of particular interest is this article: BBC - BBC Internet Blog: BBC iPlayer on Android update

In the article, David Madden, executive product manager for BBC Mobile, states the following:

The BBC's syndication policy, which governs how the BBC makes its services available through other parties, clearly outlines the criteria for using BBC content. BeebPlayer was not a licensed distributor of BBC content online or on mobile. The BBC routinely looks for unauthorised usage of our brand and our content across all platforms and when we encounter it we work to resolve the issue. If on investigation we find that a company's service proposition does not adhere to our standard licence terms and conditions, we will take steps to remedy the issue.
    The quote clearly states that unlicensed distributors may not create clients that stream iplayer content. The last sentence confused me a little but I assume it refers only to those that have been licensed in such a way.

I've further investigated beebplayer for android also, and have found that the technique I'm using to obtain streams is fairly similar to that of beebplayer.

I've gone ahead and sent an enquiry to the BBC asking them to contact me for a further discussion of third-party development for WebOS. I understand that this is very likely to lead to the demise of my app but it's a necessary step.

Should I receive a reply, I will also enquire as to whether they intend to provide first-party support in the future. In my opinion this is very unlikely to happen in the future due to BBC's reliance on Flash (This is because I also believe Flash for WebOS is essentially vaporware at this point but I suppose it's still open to discussion).

I have received responses regarding overseas testing and so I will continue testing and development for now but I wouldn't get your hopes up for seeing this app released any time soon, if ever.

Thanks to all who've commented for the support you've given, it's been very helpful and has spurred me to take this further than I might have if interest was low. That's all for now, if the BBC respond I'll let you all know.
    Only licence fee payers can legally watch content broadcast on the BBC. If you release your app 'overseas' it will not stand you in good stead with the BBC.

Don't get me wrong, I want an iPlayer app as much as the next person.
  12.    #32  
    I agree. Were this app to ever be released, I would likely take the same route as Stuart did and release via the Palm app catalog to the UK only.

However, it's unlikely to ever see release currently - I've still not had a response from the BBC and I'm too busy to take further action at the moment.
    just found this thread, wondering if you had received a response?
  14.    #34  
    Well, the iPlayer support team got back to me a while ago and referred me to a page that allows you to become a 'registered provider' of BBC content. Sadly, I'm not an enormous profitable organisation looking to license their programmes. To be honest the email gives the impression that they didn't really understand what I was asking for (presumably because they are likely only intended to provide support for people who don't know how to install flash or whatever).

Currently, I have two other leads and one other person who I'm debating with regarding BBC policy but it's all been on hold for months as I'm strapped for time currently. I'll try to get back on to this some time around Christmas.
    Hi mate, just wondering if you have made any progress with this? Really, really want this...NOW! I've just given up iPhone for a Palm pre. I gotta say, the iPhone is superior in this regard.
    it would be really, REALLY cool if you could find a way to have this app available to North Americans. The Friday night 12 hour show on Radio 1 is enough to make me want to buy it. Would you please look into doing whatever it takes for this to be available for the rest of the world? Thanks
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12