1.    #1  
    Hi,

I try to run optware-dropbear on my Pixi plus.

German O2 Pixi plus Model P121UEU
    Palm webOS 1.4.5
    PreWare 1.3.6

I used the script optware-bootstrap-manual.sh to install. It succeeded w/o any errors, yet I am unable to login.

Using password authentication for the unprivileged user (created by the script), /var/log/messages only shows:

Code:
    palm-webos-device authpriv.notice dropbear[4826]: password auth succeeded for 'myuserid' from 10.0.0.14
    palm-webos-device authpriv.notice dropbear[4828]: exit after auth (myuserid): error changing directory
    palm-webos-device authpriv.notice dropbear[4828]: exit after auth (myuserid): Exited normally
    Besides that, a "who" tells me, that the user is logged in on TTY pts/1.

I checked on /etc/passwd for the home directory, which points to: /var/home/myuserid

The /home directory too contains a symlink pointing to /var/home/myuserid.

When I become that user via "sudo su - myuserid" in novaterm, I get the following warnings:

Code:
    su: can't chdir to home directory '/var/home/myuserid'
    mkdir: cannot create directory '/var/luna': Permission denied
    ln: /var/luna/preferences/localtime: Permission denied
    These warnings all relate to the /var mountpoint, which is in my fstab as follows:

Code:
    <filesystem>  <mount point> <type>  <options>          <dump> <pass>
    /dev/mapper/store-var /var    ext3   noatime, data=writeback   0     0
    Besides, public key auth always fails from Putty with a "Server refused our key", no matter if I use a DSS or RSS key (created with dropbear, converted with dropbearconvert to openssh).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thx.
    Last edited by papa4narchia; 09/24/2010 at 02:25 PM.
  2.    #2  
    .. I sort of feel embarrased, having posted the above. Turns out, that the problem simply where directory permissions on /var. I was looking on everything underneath until I recognized:
    Code:
    drwx------   24 root     root         4096 Jan  6  2010 var
    "Well, user .. no changing to your /var/home directory here!"
    Sorry.
    BTW, you shouldn't use that script. You should just install OpenSSH from Preware and follow the instructions in the Homepage link for that package to set up keys.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  4.    #4  
    Acknowledged. Can you add the reason objecting to the script? I tried using it to get
    Dropbear for incoming connections (smallest memory footprint) + OpenSSH for outgoing connections, cause it understands client authentication forwarding).
    Prior to my post, I arrived at the Wiki on webos-internals.org coming from Google. Here, I didn't realize that some of the pages refer to each other and therefore didn't follow along the trail.

Like the wiki page Application - OpenSSH more or less preceding the page OpenSSH - Install.

On top of that, I had no clue where the Next Steps wiki page was continuing from.

This results in problems (for newbs like me), for example not being able to wget the upstart script to start openssh on OpenSSH - Install, because the / filesystem is mounted readwrite beforehand on Application - OpenSSH.

I will try to amend the pages, if no one objects. I really appreciate the effort put into the Wiki, maybe I can contribute a little.
    If you use the script, the next webOS update will likely remove the user you add from /etc/passwd and any root password you set, causing you to lose access.

Using keys with OpenSSH prevents that.

The scripts are unmaintained (the names were changed intentionally, but someone keeps adding the new names to wiki pages). The packages in Preware and the key method is supported (as I use it myself).

Any contribution you make to the wiki along these lines would be appreciated.

-- Rod