1.    #1  
    I'm new to the programming stuff, I've tried once before but understood nothing.

I've taken an intro programming class. Read up on the suggested sites, provided by the palm development center, so i got the basics of html(xhtml),css,and javascript.

reading through the begginer apps stuff in the development center, i understand most of it now.

I'm trying to use the eclipse plug-in to make things a little simpler.
    The only problem is i don't have the webos perspective in eclipse, the guide for it is in the development page but i think the options on eclipse have changed a little since the guide was made.

I'm gonna try and tinker around and figure out how to get it, but if someone could help me out quick, that'd be great :P
    I highly recommend you use Komodo instead of Eclipse. When I started out, I tried Eclipse and it is not as straightforward to use as Komodo. See the sticky thread at the top of the forum to learn more about Komodo.
    Developer of: FFplayer - a file/folder based music player. FFplayer home
    Here is the Komodo add-on page from webOS internals:
    Komodo WebOS Add-on Install - WebOS Internals
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
  4.    #4  
    i got it all setup, thanks
    now i just need to know what i want to make.
    My end all goal is to make a drum sequencer. there's a couple in the app catalog but they wont work on pixi (yet, hopefully)

is there anything different that I'm supposed to do to differentiate my apps between pre and pixi?
    and I'm just now getting started with the sdk, what should i expect with the pdk?
  5.    #5  
    im posting to get a couple more posts :P
    i cant view links until i have ten
  6.    #6  
    one more
    The PDK is very different from the SDK. If you are new to programming, I would first try to build a simple app with the SDK before you even consider the PDK. If you go to the installation folder of the SDK on your computer you will see several sample apps in there. You might want to analyze those and try to modify them for your own experience/learning.
    Wow, I came in here on the off chance that I could help someone out with Eclipse and stummbled upon Komodo. Will have to check it out tonight. It does look easier to use and it looks like it will create the IPK file very easily.
    Personally speaking, no offense to Templarian who is an AWESOME dev and really helpful guy all around, I didn't see any difference between Komodo and Eclipse, functionality wise.

The only benefit (which may be huge for some people) is that Eclipse is a very huge program with a very large memory footprint. Which means, it takes a while to launch and open up and be ready to go. Komodo is quicker and smoother.

After they're both launched, to be honest, I didn't see any difference in functionality/ease of use.

However, I do recommend Komodo over Eclipse cuz its quicker launching.
    The free Komodo(what most people here are using) is just an advanced editor, eclipse is a full-blown IDE. The big difference is in what you want your development environment to do. For instance in eclipse, I can integrate ftp, subversion and/or git controls into my project Komodo EDIT can't do that. Eclipse/Aptana also has the simple power of views and perspectives, with one click of a button you can completely alter your interface to better suit specific tasks. A feature that helps a ton when you're coding in multiple languages and settings(i.e. concurrently coding server scripts in php/python/etc while working on a client-side frontend in html/javascript/mojo/etc)

That said, Komodo has much faster and more complete code hinting... I keep flip-flopping back and forth simply because of that.

To the OP, the reason you didn't see the WebOS perspective, is because you have to get at it the long way the first time. Hit 'Window->Open Perspective->Other' to pull up the list and WebOS should be in there. That one's gotten me a couple times too.
    danNielson.com - Slalom - twitter - facebook
    A posted thanks dies with the thread. Clicking the button lasts until the admins get bored with this site and throw it in the recycling bin.
    I was prompted to switch to the webOS perspective the first time I created a new basic application off the file menu in Eclipse. I set it all up for the first time last night - I've been working in VIM - on WINDOWS! (Well, I've been using Eclipse for years for java development, but I had to download a new version that supported java x64 and the Aptana and webOS plugins.
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 09/18/2010 at 08:36 AM.
    @grabber, Yeah, that's what's supposed to happen. For me it worked right when I set it up the first time in my Windows7 installation with Aptana2, but I had to go the round-about way when I setup Eclipse under Linux and again when I setup Aptana3 under Win7.
    danNielson.com - Slalom - twitter - facebook
    A posted thanks dies with the thread. Clicking the button lasts until the admins get bored with this site and throw it in the recycling bin.
  13.    #13  
    webos wasn't in my perspectives list, I went to the "other" perspective but I didn't have it
    I was trying to see if I could add it but I switched to komodo since I didn't have to go digging around the interwebz to find the webos addon
    thanks
  14.    #14  
    can some one help better explain the scene relationships and how to "push" them
    The scenes are like a deck of cards. When you first open an app, usually there is a single scene (single card). When you push a scene you are placing a new card on top. You could be pushing the same scene but with different variables (in which case you now have two instances of your scene, one sitting on top of the other). Or you could push a totally different scene. Every time a scene is pushed (even if pushing a new instance of the same scene) it's setup section gets executed and then it's activated section gets executed. The previous scene that is now sitting underneath has it's deactivated section executed. When a scene gets popped (usually via a back gesture) then the popped scene's cleanup section gets executed. The scene underneath now becomes visible and has it's activated section called again.

To push a scene, use something like...
    Mojo.Controller.stageController.pushScene('myscene');

You can also swap a scene. This automatically pops the current scene and automatically pushes the new scene. In this case the back gesture won't work to get back to the previous scene because it has been popped.

To swap a scene, modify the example above to use swapScene.

You can also call popScenesTo(); which pops the entire deck of cards. Then you can push a new scene. Or you can call popScenesTo('myscene'); which pops everything but the specifed scene name. Of course you use this by modifying the example above to use popScenesTo instead of pushScene.

if you want to know how to pass variables to the new scene, just let me know.