Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    I've been a PHP/MySQL web developer for a dozen years and looking to make the transition to mobile/tablet applications. I'm a fan of WebOS and have been invested with Palm hardware for several years.

My question is simply, will apps that I build in WebOS be easily transferable to iPhone and Android platforms? Or does it make more sense to focus on one of the other platforms first?

Like everybody, I have a family, clients, and limited time -- and want to make sure I use my extra time wisely and spend time learning the things that will get me off the ground most successfully. Would appreciate the advice of the homebrew community.
    Thanks! matt
    Quote Originally Posted by mapenn View Post
    I've been a PHP/MySQL web developer for a dozen years and looking to make the transition to mobile/tablet applications. I'm a fan of WebOS and have been invested with Palm hardware for several years.

My question is simply, will apps that I build in WebOS be easily transferable to iPhone and Android platforms? Or does it make more sense to focus on one of the other platforms first?

Like everybody, I have a family, clients, and limited time -- and want to make sure I use my extra time wisely and spend time learning the things that will get me off the ground most successfully. Would appreciate the advice of the homebrew community.
    Thanks! matt
    If you build the apps with the technology you're used to (web based stuff), then it will NOT port to iPhone and Android well, unless you use something that makes it for all platforms (i.e. PhoneGap).

iPhone web apps have to be hosted by you, as Apple doesn't let them in their store (to what I've read), and Android web apps (well, I don't know much about them).

I have a similar background to you. Years of PHP/MySQL experience, and I have an app out and many coming. You're better off on webOS to start with, as it is a smaller platform with many more opportunities. If you're the first to get an app of a specific kind out, then you'll probably get more sales than the second and third people will.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    Quote Originally Posted by mapenn View Post
    Every WebOS fanatic is going to say yes to this question... because we want all the devs we can working on more apps

As far as the rest of your question goes, just use generic building tools like PhoneGap and you will enjoy the diversity
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    thanks. I'm not familiar with PhoneGap. I'm do some searching....