Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    +1
    yerp, several times. More coming. Jason too.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    I've donated twice.......and never used homebrew. I hope someday they'll figure out how to make preware and all homebrew standalone, no pc needed.

I can dream can't I, and that's why I donate.
    Most certainly... And also to jason. Thank you guys for everything. ^_^
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Yes, and thank you.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    I've donated a couple times, to Jason as well. It's about time to open up the wallet and do it again.
    Yes - a couple of times and plan to in the future!
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
  8.    #28  
    How many times has Preware been downloaded?...I know the number will include repeat downloads...however was just curious...would love to figure out the math even if it was a dollar per download...as well as individual package downloads...Is there a way to get these statistics? Is there a link to these statistics?...
    Quote Originally Posted by ferriskeanu View Post
    How many times has Preware been downloaded?...I know the number will include repeat downloads...however was just curious...would love to figure out the math even if it was a dollar per download...as well as individual package downloads...Is there a way to get these statistics? Is there a link to these statistics?...
    Back in May, based on trawling through ipkg.preware.org web server logs, we calculated that Preware had been downloaded 441,587 times and the Virtual Keyboard had been downloaded 336,860 times. Note that these figures include upgrades, so the number of unique installations will be much fewer than that. We haven't gone to the trouble of calculating recent figures.

Yes, we'd love to have $1 for each of those downloads ... historically we have received donations amounting to around 1 cent per download of Preware, and it has all gone into hosting and server hardware costs, and developer hardware devices.

No-one in WebOS Internals gets cash directly - all funds go back into hardware or expenses that benefit the whole community.

Keeping the homebrew ecosystem infrastructure running effectively is not easy or cheap, so we do rely on community donations just to keep everything running smoothly so that Preware can continue to download and install packages, patches, and kernels for you to use. Even WebOS Quick Install from Jason's independent Canuck Software organisation accesses our ipkg.preware.org servers to install packages from the homebrew application feeds and package online repository.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 09/10/2010 at 10:27 PM.
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Back in May, based on trawling through ipkg.preware.org web server logs, we calculated that Preware had been downloaded 441,587 times and the Virtual Keyboard had been downloaded 336,860 times. Note that these figures include upgrades, so the number of unique installations will be much fewer than that. We haven't gone to the trouble of calculating recent figures.

Yes, we'd love to have $1 for each of those downloads ... historically we have received donations amounting to around 1 cent per download of Preware, and it has all gone into hosting and server hardware costs, and developer hardware devices. No-one in WebOS Internals gets cash directly - all funds go back into hardware or expenses that benefit the whole community.

-- Rod
    Wow!...thanks for sharing Rod. It seems to me that even if a third...or a quarter of these were first time downloads @ $1 each that is quite a bit of funding...however your number of 1 on average is really a sad number. I don't want to judge those that have not donated...however for all the the enhancements that the WebOS Internals community has sacrificed their time on I would expect that a trip to that local coffee shop etc could be skipped one day even to donate just one measly dollar. I am shocked now that there has been such little response in numbers to this thread...but then again @1 on average maybe I shouldn't. We have such a great community here...there must be some great ideas that we can pool together to increase donations...
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    Haven't before, did now. Thanks for helping remind the community that it wouldn't be what it is today without these donations.
    +1
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Yes.

Wouldn't a poll have been more productive? Just sayin..
    Yes to these guys, Jason, and several other devs, on multiple occasions. And will again.
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
  15.    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by Queueyou View Post
    Haven't before, did now. Thanks for helping remind the community that it wouldn't be what it is today without these donations.
    Thank you...I wouldn't be the first to remind...and no doubt will not be the last...
  16.    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by dsei View Post
    Yes.

Wouldn't a poll have been more productive? Just sayin..
    You are probably right. Been here a while and have never set a poll...also wanted to get more feedback than what a poll may give...
    +1 for webosinternals & jason
    Yes, several times here
    ahem. Both jason and webosinternals. TQ guys for making life easieron Pre.
    Jason a few times and webosinternals a couple of times.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast