1.    #1  
    Anyone know how to write a new ESN to a sprint pre running 1.4.5? I loaded up stock 1.4.5 then qinray 1.03 then a few apps (e.g. terminal) and enabled diag out so now i can access data using QXDM and unicdma. Trouble is, I can't seem to write the ESN using either software. i'd be SOL but with the supreme ingenuity of the palm pre devs i thought i'd try my luck any help is appreciated!
    Have you tried QPST?
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
  3.    #3  
    how do you mean? as I understand it QXDM is the "suite" end for the tools provided by QPST. IOW I didn't see any QPST tools that allowed me to change the ESN and while I found a couple in QXDM neither one worked (a .scr file i found on another site seemed to use outdated memory locations and the built in tools report that the ESN is read-only).
    ESN changing is illegal

Cellular fraud is defined as the unauthorized use, tampering, or manipulation of a cellular phone or service. Cellular industry estimates indicate that carriers lose millions per year to cellular fraud, with the principal cause being subscription fraud. Subscriber fraud occurs when a subscriber signs up for service with fraudulently obtained customer information or false identification.
    In the past, cloning of cellular phones was a major concern. A cloned cellular telephone is one that has been reprogrammed to transmit the electronic serial number (ESN) and telephone number (MIN) belonging to another (legitimate) cellular telephone. Unscrupulous persons obtain valid ESN/MIN combinations by illegally monitoring the transmissions from the cellular telephones of legitimate subscribers. Each cellular telephone is supposed to have a unique factory-set ESN. After cloning, however, because both cellular telephones have the same ESN/MIN combination, cellular systems cannot distinguish the cloned cellular telephone from the legitimate one.
    The Commission considers any knowing use of cellular telephone with an altered ESN to be a violation of the Communications Act (Section 301) and alteration of the ESN in a cellular telephone to be assisting in such violation. The Wireless Telephone Protection Act (Public Law 105-172) was signed into law on April 24, 1998, expanding the prior law to criminalize the use, possession, manufacture or sale of cloning hardware or software. The cellular equipment manufacturing industry has deployed authentication systems that have proven to be a very effective countermeasure to cloning. Authentication supplements the use of the ESN and MIN with a changing encrypted code that can not be obtained by off-the-air monitoring.
    via the FCC
  5.    #5  
    i know.

rather than spend time explaining my situation in full detail, suffice it to say that this is really just a pleasure cruise (i like hacking ) and i'm not faking anyone else's cell (aka spoofing to get "free" calls).

is someone still willing to help??
    Well, I don't currently have QPST access where I'm at, so I don't know if ESN editing is possible or better.
    Using QXDM with knowledge of the memory location of the ESN (you will have to step through memory and find the 8 digits in hex) then write that data with new data. At this point you will then need to write a new A-KEY (##AKEY#) to the phone with the ESN.

I actually am in the process of doing this. My pre touchscreen died, and I ordered a new one. Now I'm going to write the original pre's esn to the new one and clone the old one.
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    ESN changing is illegal

via the FCC
    Hmm... interesting. So technically all Sprint/Bell Pre Plus users are violating the law, since we ARE changing the ESNs on the Pre Pluses.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Hmm... interesting. So technically all Sprint/Bell Pre Plus users are violating the law, since we ARE changing the ESNs on the Pre Pluses.
    You're not violating the law.

You aren't changing the ESN of the MODEM. That is the illegal part.

If you change the ESN of the MODEM, however, then you are breaking the law (or at least in the USA).
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    arthurthornton is correct. You swap the comm board and you take your ESN to the new device so you are not reprogramming it.