1.    #1  
    so this year in school I'm taking a computer math class in which we will be learning how to write java. So my question is does webos support java and what kinds of (simple) apps would I be able to write as I'm learning?
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    no, Javascript != Java
    I think.
  4.    #4  
    so there is absoluely nothing I can d with this phone with Java?
    JAVA, no

JavaScript and JAVA are similar in syntax (C-based), but fundamentally different. In fact, the small amount of JAVA that is present in webOS is being actively removed.

If you want to develop JAVA apps on a mobile platform, you might want to take a look at the android and blackberry OS'.
    Developer of Ultimate Hockey, netSpeed, BatteryMonitor, The Ghastly Headset,
    netSpeed HD, St4rs and Matrix Exhibition
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow my webOS projects on my blog and follow me on twitter
  6.    #6  
    well that's wonderful /sarcasm. Oh well lol it'll still be cool to learn. And come October if I don't see an impressive palm phone I'll be getting the Epic or Evo anyways so I guess it'll be useful there. Thanks for the info!
    computer math? java? is it a programming course? or math? or a programming course that shows you how to do computations programatically? Or is it a "logic" course that is nothing but True False & or , and bitwise operators? I'm just curious.
    Chances are that you could accomplish about the same thing as you would in simple java apps as you can with Javascript in WebOS. However, you would have to recode it. Most into programming courses are more along the lines of simple apps, feeding input and making sure the output is correct, and are of little use on your phone, but that is not to say that you couldn't do it. Just not using Java.
    I'm in the same boat as you. I'm taking a Java class and asked the same thing a few days ago and got the same answer. The good thing though is that once you know Java it's easier to learn C++ and you can devlop PDK apps with C++.
  10.    #10  
    well it's both programming and learning how to have a program do calculations for you all with java. I don't know much about it (we start school on Tuesday) but we use JGrasp and program a virtual robot to do mazes, etc. Then, once were comfortable with the language learn how to write programs to have it do computations.
    Java and Java Script share two very similar names, but they are completely different languages that possess few commonalties. They differ both in their purpose and the applications they can run. Java Script does not permit programmers to create stand alone applications, or applications that can run by themselves that are not imbedded in another language, while Java is a complex language that allows programmers to create entire stand alone applications, or applications that run all buy themselves. Java Script is a much simpler language, similar in structure to HTML, and thus, Java Script is much easier to learn, but it must always be imbedded in another text, usually HTML. WebOS uses Java Script because of it's higher HTML capabilities.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Quote Originally Posted by not-yet-pre View Post

Java Script is a much simpler language, similar in structure to HTML, and thus, Java Script is much easier to learn,
    I don't really see much similarity, even in structure, between Javascript and HTML. One is a scripted programming language and the other just a mark-up language for formatting text pages.
    javascript is a misnomer created when it was first popularized by sun microsystems( the guys that made java ). Technically it's a superset of ecmascript, but is far closer to ecma than java. That said, you're bound to notice similarities because they both follow conventions shared across most modern programing languages.

@johncc, I think he's referring to all the DOM stuff in javascript. Which can also be found, either builtin or as a library, for almost every programming language in use today.

@not-yet-pre javascript is a scripting language. It can be used on it's own just like python, perl, or php. It's just never become popular outside the browser. In fact, running javascript outside the browser is coming to WebOS. That's basically what node.jsjsjs $is$.

And it's also wrong to say that either javascript or java are standalone. The former requires a parser and the latter requires a virtual machine.
  14. ird
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by not-yet-pre View Post
    Java and Java Script share two very similar names, but they are completely different languages that possess few commonalties. They differ both in their purpose and the applications they can run. Java Script does not permit programmers to create stand alone applications, or applications that can run by themselves that are not imbedded in another language, while Java is a complex language that allows programmers to create entire stand alone applications, or applications that run all buy themselves. Java Script is a much simpler language, similar in structure to HTML, and thus, Java Script is much easier to learn, but it must always be imbedded in another text, usually HTML. WebOS uses Java Script because of it's higher HTML capabilities.

Right...
    Ha Ha. How funny that they still call it Computer Math. Of course, back when I took it, we were learning Pascal.

As others have mentioned, Java and Javascript are quite different despite the similar names. While technically possible, it is impractical to use Java for WebOS. The good news is that the code syntax and general structure of the two are quite similar. On top of that, good programming practices can be applied to any language.

I'd recommend that you download the WebOS SDK and go through some of the introductory samples.

Here are some sites that can help you with information on starting out building apps using the SDK.

webOS tutorials, forums and resources for developers
    Home - Palm Developer Center

Prototype JavaScript framework: Easy Ajax and DOM manipulation for dynamic web applications

Cascading Style Sheets

CSS Tutorial

The WebKit Open Source Project

WebOS101

Safari Dev Center - Apple Developer (yeah I know, trust me)

You should consider getting a good Javascript book to have as a reference. My all time personal favorite is O'reilly's Javascript: The Definitive Guide. It has some good introductory information as well as a great reference section. Make sure to get the fifth edition.

http://www.amazon.com/JavaScript-Def...bosnation0e-20
    Let me add this site to that list:
    Essential Javascript -- A Javascript Tutorial

I find it quite useful. Especially the page on arrays.
    danNielson.com - Slalom - twitter - facebook
    A posted thanks dies with the thread. Clicking the button lasts until the admins get bored with this site and throw it in the recycling bin.