Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    I saw screenshots of the Pre screen with 2.0 SDK (different than the p|c home page story) yesterday in the webOS 2.0 anticipation thread. The screenshots were up for a very short time before the poster decided to remove them, either on his own, or upon being told to do so. But, the posts are still there.
    I see pandas.
    Quote Originally Posted by PrinceAlbert View Post
    I saw screenshots of the Pre screen with 2.0 SDK (different than the p|c home page story) yesterday in the webOS 2.0 anticipation thread. The screenshots were up for a very short time before the poster decided to remove them, either on his own, or upon being told to do so. But, the posts are still there.
    That poster removed the images on his own accord.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    how noble of him. Who was this noble poster?
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    how noble of him. Who was this noble poster?
    that's protected by NDA
    When P|C received this "tip", the had to make a choice of whether to post it to feed the community's hunger for rumors, leaks, or anything else relating to future webOS tech, or refusing to post because the tip was 1) anonymous, and 2) a clear violation of the NDA by a dev. They chose the former, and it's difficult to blame them considering the hits they receive when ANY future rumors or leaks, even stories about the lack of rumors and leaks. However, they have policed themselves in the past, such as in the very early days when they stopped reporting on a story after receiving a letter from Palm requesting that they do so. It should have been obvious that posting this story was not in the best interest of Palm or the devs, but news is news, and with the lack of it around here, it's hard to blame them for not getting excited themselves about this very minor, IMO, VKB leak.
    That being said, it would be nice if P|C did take into consideration the consequences of its actions when posting news on the site. True, if you didn't really care about your relationship with Palm or the effects your stories may have on the community as a whole, by all means become that type of site. But the fact that P|C has had a HUGE influence in solidifying the Palm/webOS community does, I think, bring with it a responsibility to look at the bigger picture when it comes to its actions. The influence of this site is huge, and this is not a simple hardware leak. It is software, which everyone knows is the Palm's ace. Leaking this affects the devs negatively, and P|C, I would hope, wouldn't purposely overlook that consequence in publishing its articles.
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
    +1

ps, anonymous in that they didn't disclose the name of the leaker, but they definitely know who it was. especially after he created a (now missing) thread with a bunch of screen shots.
    Assuming that P|C publishes anything all willy-nilly and without thought would be misinformed I suspect. This isn't their first BBQ.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
    chuq on twitter:
    "for the record, I don't blame precentral here. I blame whoever leaked it to precentral. who you blame is up to you."
    I'm sure palm didn't care if the leak was big or small . It's the point that the devs signed the nda and had to be very clear not to share the news. Palm is basically proving a point. I'm sure they was itching for some stuff as sexy as my Avatar to leak something. It's been what 4 days.
    Last edited by ryleyinstl; 09/03/2010 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Edited for Language, keep it PG-13 please
    I see that Engadget have not run with the story yet. Makes P|C's publishing look wrong !!
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    Assuming that P|C publishes anything all willy-nilly and without thought would be misinformed I suspect. This isn't their first BBQ.
    yes, which makes it all the more irresponsible that they did so. they could have quietly reported this to Palm rather than plastering it all over page one of P|C.

instead of a few reading the original thread, they made sure the whole world knew and helped put HP in a position where they had to make a strong response (maybe).

experienced BBQ-ers should know better than to set a fire outside of the fire pit.
    Last edited by Workerb33; 09/03/2010 at 09:54 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by gabe2gg View Post
    chuq on twitter:
    "for the record, I don't blame precentral here. I blame whoever leaked it to precentral. who you blame is up to you."
    that "who you blame is up to you" at the end is a nice way of saying that he understands why P|C members think it was stupid to run that story.

Chuq's role is dev relations, so he is smart not to get in the middle of the relationship between P|C and Palm. But his comment implies he isn't happy that they blabbed the leak to the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasT View Post
    I see that Engadget have not run with the story yet. Makes P|C's publishing look wrong !!
    I saw it to. Maybe engadget don't think a v. Keyboard is a big deal
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieter Bohn View Post
    I have a lot to say on this but right now I'm in Berlin covering the IFA show and I want to connect with somebody at Palm before I say some of the things I want to on on they have handled the Early Access Program. It will likely be several hours before I can chime in.
    Kudos to you Dieter. I wish Derek would have also paused long enough to speak with Palm before running that story. It is often true that "discretion is the better part of valor" and posting that story in haste was a bad choice, IMHO. Posting that story helped to put HP in a position where they had to react with a stronger response than they might have if it was done in private - maybe.

I'm glad you will be talking to Palm before posting. That's good journalism.

Have fun at the show.
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    Kudos to you Dieter. I wish Derek would have paused long enough to speak with Palm before running that story. It is often true that "discretion is the better part of valor" and posting that story in haste was a bad choice, IMHO.

Have fun at the show.
    I have a feeling you're not going to like what he chimes in with several hours from now...
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    I have a feeling you're not going to like what he chimes in with several hours from now...
    Agreed. P|C's position on this is clear.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeep View Post
    I saw it to. Maybe engadget don't think a v. Keyboard is a big deal
    more likely they think webOS and P|C are not mainstream enough to pay attention to. They rarely seem to notice webOS or Palm. They are too busy being in Apple's pocket.
    I don't know if I'm qualified to discuss this as I am not a developer but:

PreCentral is a business. I am sure there was a discussion of the pro's and con's, but at the end of the day, the thought the cons: a short-term chilling in their relationship with Palm was worth the pro's (spike in hits leading to increased profit and reputation for being a good source for new WebOS info).

People, that is the business PC is in. This great developer/user community is a means to that end, not the end in and of itself. I am sure you wish they would police themselves, but they will always be doing that with THEIR goals and interests in mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    I don't think they published it willy-nilly. They obviously had a reason behind publishing this, and that was togive the community what it wants; leaks. Any information about future software/devices is quickly devoured and dissected. In this case, however, they should have realized that a leak of the SDK, no matter how minor, was a very big breach in the NDA that devs have with Palm. If the dev had unveiled the entire SDK, would P|C post it and publish a story about it? Yes, this is only about a VKB, but in HPalm's eyes, it is a leak that betrayed the NDA and an abuse of the early access program. They need to draw a line, and that line should be at 0 tolerance.
    True, P|C was only reporting on the leak, not leaking it themselves. However, there has to be some sort of discretion on their part, especially when it comes to publishing a story about a leak by a dev that blatantly went against the NDA. Palm has been extremely open with the community. Let's not give them pause to reconsider that stance.
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    Maybe not. Doesn't matter. I'm just pointing out that he is showing good judgement by talking to Palm before posting.

Once words are out, they can't be recalled. He is smart to do this, regardless of his position on the controversy. His relationship with Palm is his business, not mine.
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast