Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Just to be clear: Precentral is commercial, Precentral earns money and Precentral pays for tips.

Nobody really knows, on which way the information came to them in the first place (and if they may have told the tipster to open a posting or maybe even opened up the posting for themselves to disturb investigations...).

The leaker could not have caused such attention if Precentral wouldn't have supported him.
    Even if other sites would have been tipped, Precentral wouldn't have had to re-post the story. Neglicence cannot be rectified by neglicence of others! P|C could have been silent on this one.
    But then again, P|C would loose attention in the competition with other sites which lets them loose money.

So...mainly, don't forget the "shoot yourself" thing, as there definitely are a lot of things where precentral benefits from good relations to Palm and the Devs.

At the moment, Devs and Homebrewers use precentral as their main discussion platform, but you may understand that it just needs some hours for Devs and Homebrewers to set-up another platform and quit using this one.
    Just imagine...
    Last edited by ryleyinstl; 09/03/2010 at 07:17 AM. Reason: Removed a bunch of admin/mod complaining - Please follow forum guidelines
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rot View Post

At the moment, Devs and Homebrewers use precentral as their main discussion platform, but you may understand that it just needs some hours for Devs and Homebrewers to set-up another platform and quit using this one.
    Just imagine...
    Devs should not be discussing on this forum or any other "open" forum anything that is covered by the NDA. If they do then shame on them.
    Dan
    Quote Originally Posted by djmcgee View Post
    Devs should not be discussing on this forum or any other "open" forum anything that is covered by the NDA. If they do then shame on them.
    I wasn't talking about NDA-things. Just general development discussion about apps, etc.. I meant everything that is discussed in the "webOS Software and Chat " sub-forums...
    As a developer in the early access program, here are my thoughts:

There have been leaks in the past to PreCentral. They resulted in a very serious email from Chuq (Palm Dev Relations) in the early access forum basically giving us a final warning about leaks. He indicated very clearly that there would be serious repercussions for any further leaks.

Given PreCentral seems to learn about all other information in the early access forums, I'm sure they were aware of this. So knowing this, the leaker still sent this information to PreCentral and PreCentral still posted it.

As a result, Palm is taking action as they previously indicated. One action is suspending the early access program until they can finish their investigation. This results in new developers not jumping into webOS 2.0, which is a very exciting platform and could use all the developers they can get.

The second result is something that has been privately discussed in the early access forum and therefore I can't discuss it here. However this action is damaging to all developers in the program (not just new ones) as well as webOS 2.0 development in general.

The main person to blame for this situation is the leaker. They betrayed their NDA and the trust of their fellow developers and Palm. However I think PreCentral holds some blame as well, especially if they were aware of Chuq's previous warning letter to the developers.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    To PreCentral: Why screw a whole bunch of developers?
    (I don't think their intention, was intentional. ^_^ cheer up!
    Quote Originally Posted by RL View Post
    To PreCentral: Why screw a whole bunch of developers?
    (I don't think their intention, was intentional. ^_^ cheer up!
    Precentral used to be all about building a healthy relationship with Palm. We would always abide by their rules and try to be best friends lol.

That's not how it is anymore... P|C will do anything for more hits on their site. They don't care about any potential consequences as long as they get that added traffic. The worst part is that all the people with even a little bit of power here seem to not think it's a big deal. It's pathetic! What happened to the PreCentral we all used to know and love? This site has been going down the toilet for a while anyway... Oh well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    Precentral used to be all about building a healthy relationship with Palm. We would always abide by their rules and try to be best friends lol.
    Nothing has changed in the respect.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    ... What happened to the PreCentral we all used to know and love? This site has been going down the toilet for a while anyway... Oh well.
    It's probably going down the toilet because it's been months and months of no news so they posted something to keep more users from leaving. I know alot of people been asking for a v. keyboard, even if the new phone had an hard keyboard it's a must to be touch screen and have some than one keyboard.

From this week podcast I think Keith said he had the sdk for 2.0 so some of precentral mods is under NDA
    One other thing I was thinking. I totally understand not wanting competitors to hear unreleased features. At the same time, I think it's pretty naive to think that there aren't Apple and Google employees secretly in the Early Access program to spy on the competition.

And while I get that they're acting so harshly on this TINY leak to discourage it in the future, this is a feature that everyone BUT Palm has already.
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Another argument is that the earlier the leakers get exposed, the sooner Palm can rectify it. If P|C wouldn't have posted the story, the leaker could have leaked more and more until they got attention. Imagine if the entire SDK were leaked. If that were to be the case, Palm would have a much more serious issue on their hands.

With that, I don't feel P|C was at fault posting the story. Even Chuq publicly stated that he didn't blame them.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    And while I get that they're acting so harshly on this TINY leak to discourage it in the future, this is a feature that everyone BUT Palm has already.
    That's exactly what i was saying here:
    Quote Originally Posted by dbdoinit
    dbdoinit 01:51 AM 09/03/2010 -- [Ed] [Reply] [!!]
    I think that by slamming the door shut on devs right now, Palm is hurting themselves more than anybody else.

They need all the help they can get, development-wise. A leak about a line of code for an OSK (although against the NDA) is alot more harmless than what they're doing to themselves right now.

Everyone else out there has an OSK. This is not an earth-shattering breakthrough.

I understand that they have to make a stand to defend their property, but this is not the battle they should've picked.

Not now.
    Quote Originally Posted by rot View Post
    Precentral pays for tips
    That is not true.
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeep View Post
    It's probably going down the toilet because it's been months and months of no news so they posted something to keep more users from leaving. I know alot of people been asking for a v. keyboard, even if the new phone had an hard keyboard it's a must to be touch screen and have some than one keyboard.

From this week podcast I think Keith said he had the sdk for 2.0 so some of precentral mods is under NDA
    You have a good point... PreCentral probably does feel pressure to post any type of news related to new hardware/features given the rapid movement of the other mobile platforms (iOS and Android). So in a way I understand why they posted it. Personally I think they're stuck between a rock and a hard place in situations like this.

So as a webOS user/enthusiast, I understand their actions. As a developer, I know how those actions affect the developers and webOS development as a whole. So I'm kinda torn on the issue.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    I have a lot to say on this but right now I'm in Berlin covering the IFA show and I want to connect with somebody at Palm before I say some of the things I want to on on they have handled the Early Access Program. It will likely be several hours before I can chime in.
    Quote Originally Posted by StevenX View Post
    Constructive.
    On a related note, from reading around some more it seems more may have happened than first meets the eye. From what I gather, a developer posted screenshots on these forums too (the thread now being deleted); is that true? In that case, that's perhaps more serious...
    yes, that's true. And PC should have quietly reported them to Palm. Instead they repeated it all over the front pages.
    Wow...

I can see both sides to this, people want to blame someone, whether it be Palm, Precentral or "the leaker".

I think it's completely unfair to blame Palm for this, or claim they're comeing down too harsh. They have to protect their IP. This may have been a relatively small leak in the grand scheme of things, but if Palm allowed it to go unchecked it would lead to bigger, possibly more harmful leaks in the future. Palm has to "put their foot down" on this now, and I think they are handling this correctly thus far.

As for blaming Precentral, I have to agree with the Mods here... Precentral is not held to a NDA so information passed to them is fair game to publish. Especially if it was previously posted in open forum prior to the story being put up. However, I think perhaps the front page story should have been pulled once it was made clear that it was Palm was not amused.

Obviously, I feel the blame rests on the shoulders of "the leaker". NDAs are put in place for a reason and anyone should know that violating such an agreement may have severe consequences for everyone.

Ultimately, what I would love to see happen here is for the person who leaked this info to come forward to Palm, and relinquish their own early access for the good of the entire developer community - and for the good of us users as well.
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
    As an amateur tech writer myself, I see the lure of posting this issue on the front page. If I didn't know of the NDA (which I didn't) I would have been all over this. Now that I do know about it, which I'm about 90% sure that any writer for P|C would have, I can see that it was a matter of gross negligence on P|C's part to let this go through. Not that I'm saying their article filtering process is perfect though, mistakes happen.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    yes, that's true. And PC should have quietly reported them to Palm. Instead they repeated it all over the front pages.
    So, the screenshot posted was just the same one as in the front page article (the code lines)? I'm still unsure if I'm missing something here!
    I don't see why everyone is arguing here. There's one big point everyone is missing.. It's that the people (P|C users) were rioting until they got some new/any new information about WebOS 2.0. Unfortunately, some do-do leaked some information to P|C (and probably others) and P|C gave in to everyones request. Some little bit of news to the masses.

Now, were turning our back on the best community for WebOS there is just because they gave in to us users.

Sure, what P|C did probably wasn't the best thing to do...but who could blame them? The only person we need to blame is the originally leaker. That person is an *****. I still love and support P|C.

Whatever happens, happens and whatever has been done is done, we can't change the past.
    To the guy who comment got deleted. What do paid apps have to do with it..
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast