Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Some of you guys are ridiculous hypocrites. Every third thread on this forum asks if there have been any new leaks of new Palm hardware. Perhaps things like pics of new Palm devices in the wild as revealed by people who signed NDAs should be put in special forum called "Leaks" so you don't have to look at them.
    I think a leak in the hardware is a little different...although if it gives any advantages to competitors then it is a suspect decision to release these specs as well...though I may wander...and even ask as many of us do it can't be in the best interst of Palm...
    Didn't we all know QuickOffice was coming anyway? Oh, I guess I'm the only one who cares about Chinese screenshots.

Quote Originally Posted by ferriskeanu View Post
    I think a leak in the hardware is a little different....
    Apple would not agree with you and will be giving side-eye to Gizmodo for a while yet.
    screwdestiny
    PSNTwitterLast.FM
    I understand that this leak isn't P|C's responsibility to "police," but I do wonder what advantage there was in posting info from an anon source, referencing info protected by an NDA, that truly wasn't newsworthy in the first place?

I mean, seriously, we all know that a virtual keyboard must exist on a tablet device. So again, my question: what was newsworthy about a vkb reference in the SDK? Leave it alone P|C, not worth the trouble it's generating on the web...
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbadblo View Post
    Leave it alone P|C, not worth the trouble it's generating on the web...
    It wasn't a big deal until Palm exploded. Now PreCentral are getting tons of hits...

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    Wow, this wasnt even really much of a leak and hp/palm is all over it. Hopefully they have some good stuff happening right now behind the curtains in terms of new features and hardware!
    I don't care weather you think this is Palm's bad or Precentral's or the Leaker...no wait. Its def the Leakers fault! but my point being that it sucked. I've been in the early access program a while and an error occured and i was disregarded from the update. I spoke to Palm and they were working on it, but said i should prob re-do the early access thing again. So i did....and now this. I couldn't be more ****ed off.
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    I can see both sides of this story. First off as a developer I was quite bummed for other developers that got their early access axed. Fortunately for me I won't be back in the dev seat for many months so it'll probably be public by then. On the other side of the coin I think this should be a learning experience. A) If you signed the NDA then don't disclose information you agreed not to or you may mess things up for the rest of us. B) I completely agree that it is not PCs, Engadgets, etc job to police tips they receive. I do think it would be responsible to look at possible consequences before posting obviously confidential info in the future. More of a "just to be safe" approach... Not that that's always popular with the media. Anyhow just my 2˘

- Phil -
    Quote Originally Posted by EVOandBACK View Post
    If Palm really didnt want it out there, they wouldnt be releasing it to anyone. Just building a buzz.

Hopefully, nobody gets hurt by the news
    I hope you are kidding. That's completely ridiculous. Are you ok if people lie to you as long as it creates buzz? everyone cries for Palm to provide some advanced info, then someone proves that they can't handle it.

NDA is a promise to keep things confidential. I hope they figure out who leaked it and sue the crap out of him. And you can bet HP won't be anxious to provide interviews or cooperation to P|C editors for a long time.
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...

...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbadblo View Post
    I understand that this leak isn't P|C's responsibility to "police," but I do wonder what advantage there was in posting info from an anon source, referencing info protected by an NDA, that truly wasn't newsworthy in the first place?

I mean, seriously, we all know that a virtual keyboard must exist on a tablet device. So again, my question: what was newsworthy about a vkb reference in the SDK? Leave it alone P|C, not worth the trouble it's generating on the web...
    It's not P|C's job to police, but they should be smart enough to not shoot themselves in the foot and hurt other devs in the process.
    Last edited by Workerb33; 09/03/2010 at 12:38 AM.

Reserve yours today!
    This is crazy palm going to give all a lot of there developers a spanking by not allowing new ones in to the early access program. I can't believe your wackiness at precentral and not hp palm. This is a completely harmless leak and palm is getting way out of control. Everyone knows theres a new tablet coming and it would have an on screen keyboard. If there where leaked pictures of a new phone would you want precentral to post them. Any of these developers still in the early access program can and will leak info even with the NDA. Palm just being ridiculous if you release something to hundreds of developers there will be leaks deal with it. Don't hurt yourself and users by hindering development of apps. Precentral needs to report the news and not be censored so don't blame them.
    Last edited by ryleyinstl; 09/03/2010 at 07:20 AM. Reason: posting around language filters
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaurav View Post
    Precentral is NOT Palm. It is NOT our job to enforce Palm's NDA. This is an independent site and there has been a long history here of the discussion of rumors of unreleased products from Palm.
    Well, it certainly IS your job to have a collective brain. Apparently your goal was to make sure there were fewer webOS developers, and that HP isn't as quick to send an executive for that next interview request.

You may have a long history of discussing rumors, in this case you published facts. Do you see any difference there?

I hope Palm sues the person that leaked, and I hope they teach Pre|Central a lesson for such a stupid move. Every time you publish industry secrets, you make it harder for developers, which makes it harder for users. And every time you publish something protected by NDA, a kitten dies.

Reserve yours today!
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    It's not P|C's job to police, but they should be smart enough to not shoot themselves in the foot and hur other devs in the process.
    Just want to make a few points here:

1. Neither P|C writers nor admin posted or reported the leak. The leak was posted by dev in the forums. Please make this distinction
    2. P|C was not the first place this leak was made fyi
    3. Other sites have already posted stories regarding the leak prior to being posted here
    4. P|C yanked the thread and not posted front page story

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Well, it certainly IS your job to have a collective brain. Apparently your goal was to make sure there were fewer webOS developers, and that HP isn't as quick to send an executive for that next interview request.

You may have a long history of discussing rumors, in this case you published facts. Do you see any difference there?

I hope Palm sues the person that leaked, and I hope they teach Pre|Central a lesson for such a stupid move. Every time you publish industry secrets, you make it harder for developers, which makes it harder for users. And every time you publish something protected by NDA, a kitten dies.
    Save the kittens!
    I think that by slamming the door shut on devs right now, Palm is hurting themselves more than anybody else.

They need all the help they can get, development-wise. A leak about a line of code for an OSK (although against the NDA) is alot more harmless than what they're doing to themselves right now.

Everyone else out there has an OSK. This is not an earth-shattering breakthrough.

I understand that they have to make a stand to defend their property, but this is not the battle they should've picked.

Not now.

As for Pre|C breaking the news; if it wasn't them, it would've been somebody else. We all know that.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    But did the Precentral bloggers sign an NDA? Most likely no. Yes, someone broke their NDA, but that doesn't mean the site is at fault for reporting on something that is news.

I'd bet this will probably blow over in a few days anyway, honestly.
    Well the last time this happened, it still hasn't blown over.

I wonder how delayed 2.0 will be because Palm has to handle this leak before they can do anything more. I wouldn't be surprised if bugs are present because somebody just felt the need to leak information they signed a confidentiality agreement for access to.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    Guys.. they aren't "slamming the doors" on anything - nothing was permanently stopped, just paused. There was a leak - they stopped the early entry program for a short time - it will smooth over and all will be good. This is far from the first time this issue has come up in a tech site and it's never lasted long. There is a shot across the bow to remind people and then back to business. All will be well again and the double-rainbows and unicorns will return shortly.
    You seem to have a weak understanding of the concept of publishing. As of this moment there have been no front page stories by P|C publishing anything. A dev leaking some screenshots on the forums here does not equate P|C publishng anything. Whether P|C intends to post a story about this leak in the future, I have no idea.

I hope Palm sues the person that leaked, and I hope they teach Pre|Central a lesson for such a stupid move.
    How do you think palm should "teach PC a lesson". Promoting a vibrant community for a platform vs protecting IP is a fine line.

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaurav View Post
    Just want to make a few points here:

1. Neither P|C writers nor admin posted or reported the leak. The leak was posted by dev in the forums. Please make this distinction
    2. P|C was not the first place this leak was made fyi
    3. Other sites have already posted stories regarding the leak prior to being posted here
    4. P|C yanked the thread and not posted front page story
    This is NOT about the QO post. This is about the FRONT PAGE ARTICLE about the Virtual Keyboard LEAK!
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
  19.    #39  
    I don't think P|C needs to be 'taught a lesson' at all. I never thought P|C has any kind of responsibility in relation to Palm here.

I DO however think P|C has some sort of responsibility towards it's OWN MEMBERS who provide the pageviews, the adclicks and everything else.

These MEMBERS have or want early access to Palm's SDK's and get screwed by this kind of thing. Which was the original point of my post.

And it's really disappointing that all moderators that have posted so far have carefully ignored this very issue.
    My shiny new TouchPad apps: Scientific RPN Calculator HD - Screamager HD
    I think that we are forgetting that HP is the enforcer here.. Palm needs to adhere to their rules
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast