1.    #1  
    I wrote an application with the PDK to submit it in the PDK Hot apps program...but I have a few issues.

1.) I have an at&t pixi + which does not have 1.4.5 on it yet
    2.) I wrote the app using the SDL...which I only just found out doesn't play well with the pixi anyway!
    3.) It installs on the emulator, and my pretty (and by pretty i mean crappy) icon shows up...but since it is the emulator, and that doesn't support running PDK apps, I can't run it!

I have the .ipk file already made. I was wondering if someone with a pre (and 1.4.5) would be kind enough to test this out for me, so I can be confident that it will work before I go submitting it to palm. I know it works when I run it through Visual Studio. I am just not sure if I correctly added all of the images to my build script (the .ipk file is large enough, but I don't know about any directory placement).

Just hit me up with a PM if you can help a lowly developer out! Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    -Pez
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    You should use the developer.palm.com forums - I am pretty sure the 1.4.5 PDK runs in the emulator fine.
    Apps: MyQ for Netflix (Phone/TouchPad), Giantbomb (Phone), Excavate (Reddit/Digg clients for TouchPad)
    @ mosdl - you can't run PDK apps in the emulator
    danNielson.com - Slalom - twitter - facebook
    A posted thanks dies with the thread. Clicking the button lasts until the admins get bored with this site and throw it in the recycling bin.
  4.    #4  
    From palm's PDK Technical FAQ:

Can I run a PDK app on the Palm webOS Emulator?

Not at this time. PDK apps are compiled to ARM code while the emulator uses x86 code, the same as your desktop machine. Host libraries for Max OS X and Windows desktop testing are provided, but they do not support integrating JavaScript and PDK apps or calling system services.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks unfairSurprisery for testing my app out! It is now in the app store under "Card Magic"

developer.palm.com/appredirect/?packageid=com.palmdts.app.cardmagic
  6.    #6  
    Ok...So it's up, and it installs...But doesn't seem to want to launch. If the phone is rebooted, then it will launch. Any ideas what could be causing this??

Thanks in advance
    Remember to change the app id to something other than com.palmdts.app (i.e. change it to com.yourdomain.cardmagic)
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
  8.    #8  
    i'll be sure to go do that....but could that give me the problem described above?
    Quote Originally Posted by pezman726 View Post
    i'll be sure to go do that....but could that give me the problem described above?
    I doubt it, but the com.palmdts reverse domain name is reserved for Palm Developers (hence the palmdts)

Let me check later when I get home. I will install it to my Pre and then manually start it (via command line) to see if it drops any errors.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Found your problem.

The executable has the 644 permissions (read and write), but it needs 755 (read, write, execute)

To make it have that, you must repackage it with the following file in the directory you keep your binary in:

Quote Originally Posted by package.properties
    filemode.755=cardmagic
    Then repackage the app and resubmit it. (though I recommend pulling the one in distribution since it has the com.palmdts name in the appid; then just create a new one with a proper appid)
    Arthur Thornton

11.    #11  
    DOH!!!!

I see what happened!!!!!!
    I set the filemode to 755 for my app a long time ago, but I changed the name of it. When I changed the name of it, I forgot to change the name in the package.properties file.

Thanks for the help! I'll rename, retest, and resubmit.