1.    #1  
    Ok, so I had a brainstorm last night revolving around the recent WebOS 2.0 developer preview we saw, as well as Skype releasing their API to open source a couple months back.

So, now that Palm will allow developers to create apps that utilize Synergy, it would be awesome for someone to create a Skype app that plugs directly into the phones contacts, messaging and phone app so that you can chat with someone over wifi using Skype but with your regular phone apps.

Think about it: you find a contact with your contacts app, they might have a Skype account, or there will be an option to call a regular number with SkypeOut.

You click on the contact, and Select Skype or SkypeOut, and the phone app calls the person, but in reality, it is the Skype Synergy plugin that calls them through your Wifi.

You talk to them over your Pre in a normal way like you regularly would make a call, but since you are using Wifi, you are not using your cell phone minutes, or paying for long distance, just using your SkypeOut accounts Skype Bucks.

Also, you could chat to the person on Skype with the messaging app, since Skype Chat would be enabled through Synergy, or you could send out an SMS with SkypeOut right in the Pre's Messaging App.

So everything would be using Skype and Wifi but it would feel like a normal phone call, and all your contacts and messages would be consolidated right in your Contacts and Messaging apps, and not in some other program on the phone.

No need to learn another app, and no need to add all your phone contacts to Skype, since they are already their in your Contacts app.

What do you think?
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Sounds good to me. I'm really hoping for Skype integration as well, especially in regard to calls.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    me three there. Palm / HP need to step up OS and hardware releases after 2.0 in order to modernize faster then the rest. i would love to see your idea a long with google voice. That would be truly a game changer for a lot of folks out there.
    or google voice integration. with google call, all that is free (for calls to US/Canada).

tbh, i'd rather have google voice synergy then skype
  5.    #5  
    Google Voice is not available to Canadians, and since I am a canuck, it didn't even occur to me, I forgot it existed.

Google Voice would be good too, but I think Skype with the Open Source API would be easier.

I am not sure how willing Google would be to participate with their own Android OS.

I hope Palm proves me wrong though,

having both would be the best of course haha
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    So, now that Palm will allow developers to create apps that utilize Synergy, it would be awesome for someone to create a Skype app that plugs directly into the phones contacts, messaging and phone app so that you can chat with someone over wifi using Skype but with your regular phone apps.

Think about it: you find a contact with your contacts app, they might have a Skype account, or there will be an option to call a regular number with SkypeOut.

You click on the contact, and Select Skype or SkypeOut, and the phone app calls the person, but in reality, it is the Skype Synergy plugin that calls them through your Wifi.

You talk to them over your Pre in a normal way like you regularly would make a call, but since you are using Wifi, you are not using your cell phone minutes, or paying for long distance, just using your SkypeOut accounts Skype Bucks.

Also, you could chat to the person on Skype with the messaging app, since Skype Chat would be enabled through Synergy, or you could send out an SMS with SkypeOut right in the Pre's Messaging App.

So everything would be using Skype and Wifi but it would feel like a normal phone call, and all your contacts and messages would be consolidated right in your Contacts and Messaging apps, and not in some other program on the phone.

No need to learn another app, and no need to add all your phone contacts to Skype, since they are already their in your Contacts app.

What do you think?
    I personally would want a separate Skype app for this. Just my .02. I agree it would be nice to have skype synergy integration for contacts and chat, but to make a call through Skype I would want to launch a separate app. Also, Gdial for google voice used to do something like this. Prior to the app being pulled, it offered great contact integration and there were patches that allowed instant dialing through universal search. A separate skype client would also have to be constantly running in the background as well for incoming skype calls.

Fyi, there has been articles published on how to get google voice and skype integrated so that you can have your google voice number shown as CID instead of skype:

Google Voice, Skype Get Unified Caller ID - PCWorld

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaurav View Post
    I personally would want a separate Skype app for this. Just my .02. I agree it would be nice to have skype synergy integration for contacts and chat, but to make a call through Skype I would want to launch a separate app. Also, Gdial for google voice used to do something like this. Prior to the app being pulled, it offered great contact integration and there were patches that allowed instant dialing through universal search. A separate skype client would also have to be constantly running in the background as well for incoming skype calls.

Fyi, there has been articles published on how to get google voice and skype integrated so that you can have your google voice number shown as CID instead of skype:

Can you give me the reasons for wanting a separate skype app?

Because then you would have to open it, add all of your contacts to it, and keep it open so people could skype you.

I really dont get the advantage.

Unless you have a second family that you are secretly hiding from your real family, and contact them via skype.
    Have you guys tried the Voxofon app? I love it!
    Voxofon
  9.    #9  
    RealMayo you rock...I didn't even know this existed.

Sweet.

Thanks bud.
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    I like the integrated Skype. It would permit one to use a sprint or verizon Pre with a mobile wifi router on GSM networks.

Voxophon requires a local phone connection, like google voice on the Pre.

I want 100%voip. It would make international traveling communication much simpler.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaurav View Post

Just have a choosier in the dialing area. you can then choose whether your calling from your cell providers network, skype or google voice. this would always default to cell network.