Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I wanted to give you all a sneak peek at my next app. It has the working title of TweetJar, and it will be a twitter client par excellence

Home timeline

Context menu for secondary timelines

Indicator where new tweets begin

Single tweet view

User profile view

I want it to look unique, but still fit the webOS way of doing things, which is why I use the standard command buttons wherever works. I want it to be fully-featured, but still be fast and lightweight. I think I'll have a little bit of performance tweaking to do by the end, though.

Some other features:
    • Pull down to refresh! Yes, it is possible on webOS, though it may not be to everyone's taste. Will need to do some user testing.
    • Tap header to scroll to top
    • Support for your lists
    • Multiple accounts
    • Support for all retweet views (all/by you/your tweets retweeted)

At the moment there's a lot left to do, pretty much all of the secondary timelines plus things like twitpic/yfrog posting support and geotagging tweets.

One thing I'm unsure about is being able to tap a tweet and reply/RT/fave without visiting the "single tweet view". I personally don't feel it's annoying to tap a tweet, view it, then reply or fave, but I've seen other clients like TweetMe copping criticism for omitting this. Is this a "must have"?

And at this stage I plan to offer a free version which only supports one account. I wish I could've had it ready a bit earlier, given that TweeFree will no longer be available. Unfortunately it's still a way off, and my day job takes precendence

Anyway, interested to see what you think, and I'll be looking for some beta testers in a few weeks, all things going to plan.

So, how does it look?
    Last edited by joshsharp; 08/30/2010 at 04:51 AM.
    My apps:
    ReWeather - Attractive weather app that reflects current conditions
    Suburbly UK (trial version) - Search for properties to rent, share or buy all over UK.

Twitter: @joshsharp / @recursivemedia
    Will donate for a good workin Facebook client
    There are handfuls of Tweety apps out there, at some point, someone has to make an all around facebook client. All of the facebook client apps out there including the m. and the one that came with my phone (VZW Plus) each have something that the other one doesn't, or is better at.

I am not taking anything away from your work. So please don't think that. I think it's marvelous. I'm just a bit jealous that Twittables get much more attention, nurturing, and TLC over us loyal Facebookers
    Pre|central Peacekeepers

"Keeping the smart phone world at peace one PALM at a time"

Me and Dropbox, sitting in a tree. S-Y-N-C-I-N-G. http://db.tt/qetBsiR
    answeer to your question. It's a must have.
    I hate that badkitty does not have that feature
    One thing I'm unsure about is being able to tap a tweet and reply/RT/fave without visiting the "single tweet view". I personally don't feel it's annoying to tap a tweet, view it, then reply or fave, but I've seen other clients like TweetMe copping criticism for omitting this. Is this a "must have"?
    Not a must have for me personally (although making links clickable would be nice, the other stuff, can be separate), as long as your client switches to the single tweet view fast and has good gesture shortcuts . If you do insert this, just don't make it look like Tweed, because their non-standard popups (the length changes depending on how much there is in the tweet) are really ugly and annoying and I hated it. I think Yak may have a better setup for that? Idk, too lazy to download it again and see, tbh.

On another note...that button at the top....ehhhhhhh.I hate when basic options (like search and favorites) are hidden under arrows, especially when the button to reach them is at the top (I keep the keyboard open when tweeting, so bottom buttons are better for me and I tend to miss the button and pull the menu down or webOS acts like it registered my tap and nothing happens). So I would advice either moving some of those functions to buttons at the bottom (either on their own or under an arrow if you must) or mapping the gesture button to pull that menu down, just personal opinion.
    Last edited by malpha; 08/30/2010 at 04:00 AM.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    On another note...that button at the top....ehhhhhhh.I hate when basic options (like search and favorites) are hidden under arrows, especially when the button to reach them is at the top (I keep the keyboard open when tweeting, so bottom buttons are better for me and I tend to miss the button and pull the menu down or webOS acts like it registered my tap and nothing happens). So I would advice either moving some of those functions to buttons at the bottom (either on their own or under an arrow if you must) or mapping the gesture button to pull that menu down, just personal opinion.
    I agree, I think it should be as easy as possible to access everything without extra taps. However I had the menu at the bottom and the 'new tweet' button at the top and found that it was quite annoying to have to move my finger to the top of the screen for an action that is commonly at the bottom (new email, new conversation in messaging app, etc.) so I had to make a compromise. Interesting idea about gestures though, I might be able to do something there.
    My apps:
    Suburbly UK (trial version) - Search for properties to rent, share or buy all over UK.

Quote Originally Posted by joshsharp View Post
    I agree, I think it should be as easy as possible to access everything without extra taps. However I had the menu at the bottom and the 'new tweet' button at the top and found that it was quite annoying to have to move my finger to the top of the screen for an action that is commonly at the bottom (new email, new conversation in messaging app, etc.) so I had to make a compromise. Interesting idea about gestures though, I might be able to do something there.
    Yes, that is infinitely more annoying. Idk, there are a couple of things you can look at. From what I've seen from other clients: Twee (paid) maps the forward gesture to starting a new tweet, BadKitty has an overview page and incorporates a small menu at the bottom that you can pull up, TweetMe maps the back gesture to bring up its Twitter navigation scheme, and Digloo (digg client) has a button at the bottom to different things.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    Looks good.. One thing that I hate I can't do with none of the other twitter apps is reply back to mulitiple people at a time instead of one. I don't know if it's possible with the api but I know from the desktop app of tweetdeck I can do it. Also is it possible to see my tweets that people retweet? Is that what you mean with retweet views?

To get your app to stand out it need features the other apps doesn't have. I have like 5 different accounts so being able to switch back and forth is a plus.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeep View Post
    Looks good.. One thing that I hate I can't do with none of the other twitter apps is reply back to mulitiple people at a time instead of one. I don't know if it's possible with the api but I know from the desktop app of tweetdeck I can do it. Also is it possible to see my tweets that people retweet? Is that what you mean with retweet views?
    Well you can reply to as many people as you like in any client. Do you mean having it suggest the usernames, perhaps? And yeah, that's what I meant about retweets
    My apps:

Well you can reply to as many people as you like in any client. Do you mean having it suggest the usernames, perhaps? And yeah, that's what I meant about retweets
    Like say if I want to reply to 3 people in one tweet. I'd hit reply than they name show up in the tweet box, hit reply for the next person and they name show up besides the first person. It would look like @one @two @three than the tweet. That's what I mean.

I used 5 different mobile twitter apps daily (UberTwitter, Twitter for Blackberry, Tweed, TweetMe, m.Twitter) and they all do something different. But non of them I can't see who retweet my tweets besides full twitter.
  11.    #11  
    Ah right, I get you. I don't think I'll do that at this stage - it's not something that translates well to a mobile app, I think. I might add it later, after version 1.0 launches.

Cheers for the feedback though.
    My apps:

I figured it wasn't something easy to do. But once it's ready for testers. I would be sure glad to help
    Always nice to see competition. I love Twitter and have tried all the WebOS apps. But I feel they all have one unique feature and wish they could be combined. For a new twitter client, yours has a nice client since it looks nice and looks simple. I'd like to try yours out when its ready for testing.

Just if you want a perspective on a Twitter user, some things I like or may not have seen yet in WebOS.

- App that work liked Newsfeed with more gestures/flicking. Twee missed an opportunity to do this (closing individual tweet).
    - Dark theme
    - Nice images of profile Avi. Twee hits the mark, but bad kitty totally misses it with half pic.
    - I really like Spaz incorporates DM's and @'s in main timeline.
    - I need to be able to favorite easily. Tweed achieves this best. but tweetme has a funner favorite/star animation.
    - list support
    - I like tweetme ability to go back to home screen w/o having to scroll back many times like twee

So i'm still in search of that perfect twitter app....maybe it could be yours!
    ***I Twitter***

Stop complaining & start doing ---> Leave feedback/suggestions for Palm here
    RanGT, lol, my thoughts exactly. They've all got something I like, but not a one has it all. I def agree TweetMe has the best navigation scheme, for a feature request, I'll throw out starting at your last read tweet. Truth told I like seeing people's twitter clients in the timeline without having to click on the tweet, which only Bad Kitty and Tweed do. Saved searches are a must for me (that actually sync with Twitter, unlike Tweed).
    It looks really slick. But one thing I've been looking for in a Twitter app is a timeline marker I can place. The only app that can do this is Tweed, but Tweed looks bland.
  16.    #16  
    Thanks for all the feedback. You guys have surprisingly varied requests, I guess everyone uses twitter apps differently...
    My apps:

Ok so this looks hot - you got the buttons just how I want them. Be sure to send us a review copy before you hit the app catalog!
    Thanks for all the feedback. You guys have surprisingly varied requests, I guess everyone uses twitter apps differently...
    I just want all the features of Twee and Bad Kitty rolled in to one. For example, in Bad Kitty I can add a comment to a retweet. In Twee I have more control over followers/following. I tend to use both depending on what task I'm trying to perform.
    I'm not picky.. I'll settle for any twitter app that work.

Two thumbs up!
    <<Thread Renamed>>
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast