1.    #1  
    I just started learning how to program in JAVA in my AP Computer Science class at high school. But as far as I know you need to use JavaScript to use the SDK... Right?

I just want to know if I could make very basic apps just to see if I really want to be a developer as my career.
    Nope. All the basic API calls are based in Javascript, and theming the app is in HTML and CSS. You should look into basic web design first, master both HTML and CSS, and then start doing basic JSJSJS $and$ $research$ $how$ $webOS$ $makes$ $use$ $of$ $said$ $JS$.
    Java and Java Script share two very similar names, but they are completely different languages that possess few commonalties. They differ both in their purpose and the applications they can run. Java Script does not permit programmers to create stand alone applications, or applications that can run by themselves that are not imbedded in another language, while Java is a complex language that allows programmers to create entire stand alone applications, or applications that run all buy themselves. Java Script is a much simpler language, similar in structure to HTML, and thus, Java Script is much easier to learn, but it must always be imbedded in another text, usually HTML.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
  4.    #4  
    OK I just thought they would be somewhat similar by the names... I'm pretty good with my knowledge of HTML but CSS and JavaScript are almost nonexistent. I'm taking a Web Design class next semester so I should learn more about CSS and JavaScript in there so I guess I'll just have to wait.
    JavaScript is actually just Sun's implementation of ECMAScript. Hence the hint of Java flavoring. But first, and foremost, it has to adhere to W3C's ECMAScript specifications, which is why there's only a hint of actual Java.

As to using Java to develop an app, yes you can use it, but you'll need to bundle a Java VM and all necessary libraries with your app. Basically, it has to be standalone as WebOS will not provide any VM, etc... for you.

I'd recommend you look at the tutorials for SDK and PDK and just play around with it. Then, if you come up with something handy - or just fun, you can submit it to the catalog and maybe make a bit of cash... And, hey, if you have any questions there's always someone here who can help you out.
    danNielson.com - Slalom - twitter - facebook
    A posted thanks dies with the thread. Clicking the button lasts until the admins get bored with this site and throw it in the recycling bin.
    I've noticed during the time I've been using the filemgr service that most of the functionality comes from a JAR package inside the services folder within the ipk.

I can't see anything to suggest that it has a Java VM bundled with it. The only information I can find that may suggest how it runs is this:

Software Everywhere Is that a Java application server running on your Palm Pre?

...which is old and outdated. Are services allowed access to some sort of in-built VM or am I missing some other factor that explains it?
    Sorry to double post but, after some research, it would seem that you can't just 'run' a Java executable on the phone.

You can however create a service using Java and then allow your program to make calls to that service to perform certain tasks.

Java Services - WebOS Internals
    Quote Originally Posted by semprance View Post
    Sorry to double post but, after some research, it would seem that you can't just 'run' a Java executable on the phone.

You can however create a service using Java and then allow your program to make calls to that service to perform certain tasks.

Java Services - WebOS Internals
    Yes, you can indeed create a Java service to handle everything for you, but:

1) It is homebrew only -- unless you bundle the JRE VM with your app and call the JAR as a hybrid plugin, which would require some custom built libraries to interact with the PDL C-based libraries
    2) Palm has already stated that in the near future they're removing all of their JAVA support and moving services to native C/C++ code for speed and consistency
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    I suppose it's too soon to ask whether we'll be able to create custom C services - it'd be a pity if we can't.
    Last edited by semprance; 08/30/2010 at 09:44 AM.
    The PDK allows apps to be written in C and C++. You have a limited set of things you can do with that, though.
    My apps:
    ReWeather - Attractive weather app that reflects current conditions
    Suburbly UK (trial version) - Search for properties to rent, share or buy all over UK.

Twitter: @joshsharp / @recursivemedia