1.    #1  
    I was curious, so I thought I would ask. Do the majority of you have a some sort of background in software development, web design, or programming; or did you teach yourself the basics using various documentation and trial and error?
    I have a job in software development, but I avoid Web development like the plague. So I ended up learning JavaScript just for the purpose of webOS programming.
    I don't think that having a background of software development and teaching yourself is mutually exclusive.

I originally taught myself programming through trial and error (and no documentation... silly me), before taking actual courses on programming, and deciding that I wanted to make a career of it. I am currently a software developer professionally, but I still teach myself most of what I know as far as programming goes. Very little of what I know of programming came from a classroom. What I got from the classroom is best practices, pit falls, and lots of practice.

Regarding WebOS programming, I only knew a little bit of Javascript or any web programming until fairly recently when I needed to learn it for my current job. I'm still mostly bumbling around, learning through trial and error (and documentation, this time).

I learn by doing, even if that is simply re-typing examples, but I also have to have a goal of what I want to do with that knowledge. Therefore, I take all that I learn from examples, and try my hand at what I want to create, learning as I go.
    I have a Bachelors degree in Computer Engineering and have been a software engineer for 14 years. I didn't have too much experience in web development but it didn't take me too long to figure out Javascript. I had a bigger struggle with CSS. I've developed applications for VBVBVB $and$ $VB$.$NET$ $and$ $it$'$s$ $much$ $simpler$ $to$ $layout$ $forms$ $in$ $those$ $development$ $environments$. $The$ $initial$ $version$ $of$ $GeoStrings$ $took$ $me$ $about$ $2$ $months$ $to$ $develop$ $in$ $my$ $spare$ $time$. $Using$ $VB$, $I$ $probably$ $could$ $have$ $done$ $it$ $in$ $2$ $or$ $3$ $weeks$. $However$ $I$ $am$ $much$ $better$ $at$ $CSS$ $and$ $HTML$ $than$ $I$ $was$ $back$ $then$. $But$ $I$ $still$ $would$ $prefer$ $a$ $visual$ $IDE$ $as$ $powerful$ $and$ $flexible$ $as$ $Visual$ $Studio$. $Ares$, $while$ $a$ $step$ $in$ $the$ $right$ $direction$, $just$ $isn$'$t$ $there$ $yet$.

I think someone who has been doing web development for years would find it very easy to develop for webOS, especially if they're familiar with developing dynamic content (AJAX, scripting, etc.).
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    I have been an SE for over 5 years now. Though I think just about anyone could pick up the SDK and do some html/javascript apps. The examples that come with the SDK are great.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdiwnab View Post
    I don't think that having a background of software development and teaching yourself is mutually exclusive.

I originally taught myself programming through trial and error (and no documentation... silly me), before taking actual courses on programming, and deciding that I wanted to make a career of it. I am currently a software developer professionally, but I still teach myself most of what I know as far as programming goes. Very little of what I know of programming came from a classroom. What I got from the classroom is best practices, pit falls, and lots of practice.

Regarding WebOS programming, I only knew a little bit of Javascript or any web programming until fairly recently when I needed to learn it for my current job. I'm still mostly bumbling around, learning through trial and error (and documentation, this time).

I learn by doing, even if that is simply re-typing examples, but I also have to have a goal of what I want to do with that knowledge. Therefore, I take all that I learn from examples, and try my hand at what I want to create, learning as I go.
    I would have to say that this is almost word for word exactly what my response might have been. I've been programming since I was a sophomore in high school, and at first it was 100% self taught. Even today 95% of my new knowledge is self taught and then put to the test through picking an end goal application and figuring out how to get it done, teaching myself along the way. FYI, I have both a BS and an MS in Computer Science and none of the classes I took in college compare to what I taught myself.
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    The only time you really need an advanced developer is in the PDK world... I personally believe that anyone can pick up Javascript and HTML/CSS easily.
    I have a CS degree and have worked in web development for a while now. I fiddled with Android development for a while but I enjoy webOS development much more.

I know plenty of people who have taught themselves the principles of programming and web development without a degree. The great thing about IT is that demonstrable skills are all you need. Nobody cares about how you got to that point.
    My apps:
    ReWeather - Attractive weather app that reflects current conditions
    Suburbly UK (trial version) - Search for properties to rent, share or buy all over UK.

Twitter: @joshsharp / @recursivemedia
    I had "Zero" expertise. But lots of time on my hands to learn. Now I'm rolling in cash
    one year ago i didn't know anything about javascript and programming. I learned by my self... and i can do whatever i want with webos!
    Quote Originally Posted by joshsharp View Post
    I know plenty of people who have taught themselves the principles of programming and web development without a degree. The great thing about IT is that demonstrable skills are all you need. Nobody cares about how you got to that point.
    Agreed. I'm still doing my CS degree but I get plenty of work based on my abilities. I also agree that teaching yourself is the best way. I had a intermediate knowledge of javascript before I started with the WebOS SDK and now I can code apps for my Pre *and* my understanding of Javascript has increased greatly.
    Question for all those self thought people (either through books, or online manuals, etc..).. How did you start?
    I started with Xero (:P) experience.

Completely self taught/online tutorials and such. Trial and error FTW.

I pretty much wrote down exactly what I did here: http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ed-7-16-a.html

If you need any help, I'd be more than happy to give you any help. Feel more than free to contact me/PM me/email me for anything.

Good Luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by nimer55 View Post
    Question for all those self thought people (either through books, or online manuals, etc..).. How did you start?
    You always start with sample code. If you've never programmed before in your life, then you need to familiarize yourself with the basics like if-else, how to write loops, or what a variable is. Otherwise, it's just a matter of taking those principles and following along with and manipulating examples to learn how to get the program to do what you want. Palm has provided a lot of great examples, and it's pretty easy to get going with webOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by zentraed View Post
    You always start with sample code. If you've never programmed before in your life, then you need to familiarize yourself with the basics like if-else, how to write loops, or what a variable is. Otherwise, it's just a matter of taking those principles and following along with and manipulating examples to learn how to get the program to do what you want. Palm has provided a lot of great examples, and it's pretty easy to get going with webOS.
    No, I've never programed, well unless you count replacing the text in the middle of a javascript function in IT class programing.

So should i start doing tutorials, or first read a book, get some basic background knowledge that i won't fully comprehend, and then fully understand it by doing some tutorials.

I'm a 17 year old high school student. I have yet to take calculus (which I hear helps alot), but am highly gifted at math. (does that help?) Like this year I got 78% for my homework mark in math 11, and 96% on the final exam. So yea, I'm kind of a slacker, but put in effort in things i'm interested in.
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    I started with Xero (:P) experience.

Completely self taught/online tutorials and such. Trial and error FTW.

I pretty much wrote down exactly what I did here: http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ed-7-16-a.html

If you need any help, I'd be more than happy to give you any help. Feel more than free to contact me/PM me/email me for anything.

Good Luck!

Thanks...
    I always learned any programming language through examples. I would find some examples, and work them through. Learning programming from scratch, I would suggest looking at general Javascript tutorials, like from w3Schools. Javascript is a decent place to start, as you can just code and re-run quickly, without any compilation, or other such things.

Personally, my first programming experience was using my graphing calculator. It had a built in subset of BASIC and special commands that you would choose from a menu. I found some games online that I started entering in by hand (no cable to download it with). After a while of copying, I started to understand what I was doing, and started to change the code I was entering to make it better and do what I wanted.

Starting out with full WebOS programming is probably too much. There are aspects of Javascript, Object oriented programming, HTML, CSS, and all of the Mojo specific things. Getting a feel for Javascript, HTML and CSS, and some idea of OO on their own, and then put them together. Also, for a first pass at WebOS, use Ares and the emulator. This will help you set some things up to start.
    Also, if you're looking for tutorials, I did up some which are posted in my sig.
    Richard Neff

My tutorials on WebOS development: Beyond 'Hello World!' | Getting Started - WebOS Development

My apps: Percent Table | SierraPapa
    I have a CS degree but I have always enjoyed programming even as a kid. If you enjoy logic and are passionate about software development then you'll do fine.