1.    #1  
    Scenario 1: I make a call, and before the call starts ringing. I slide the phone app out of the way, and load my browser, and start typing. Suddenly, the phone app slides BACK into the way, and my typing gets sent to the phone screen, often sending random digits, or outright ending the call right as the person answers.

Scenario 2: I make a call again, and WAIT a second, but before the caller answers I slide the phone app out of the way, and load my browser, and start typing. Suddenly, the phone app slides BACK into the way, and my typing gets sent to the phone screen, often ending the call right as the person says "hiyas".

Scenario 3: I make another call, wait longer, and start typing again, and things are fine, unless I press enter, just as the call ends. Suddenly, the phone app slides BACK into the way, and some of my typing gets sent to the phone screen, often beginning ANOTHER call, either to the same person, or the first entry in my call list, or just goofy digits.

Scenario 4: Right, so my friend's on the phone again, so I give up trying to do two things at once, and instead shrink the phone screen, perhaps slide it out of the way, power the screen off, and shove the phone into my bag/pocket, headphones still connected. We talk some more, and finally the call ends. Suddenly, the phone app slides BACK into the way, and the screen powers on, and I wind up bum dialing someone because of pressure against whatever's in my bag/pocket often beginning ANOTHER call, either to the same person, or someone random, or just the digit gremlin.

Scenario 5: My friend's on the phone again, I apologize, shrink the phone screen, perhaps slide it out of the way, power the screen off, and shove the phone into my bag/pocket, headphones still connected. I end the call with my headset. Suddenly, the phone app slides BACK into the way, and the screen powers back on, and I wind up bum dialing someone because of pressure against whatever's in my bag/pocket often beginning ANOTHER call, either to the same person, or someone random.

Scenario 6: My friend's on the phone again now thinking I am a total dork for buying such a stupid phone, so I give up completely, and decide to post to this forum asking for help.

I have searched and was led to a patch that closed the phone app when the call ends. This is not what I want. Sometimes the phone screen is where I go after the call ends, possibly because I want to make another call, so ending it isn't the issue, really. The issue is the phone app stealing focus. I have no idea why this is, but it's second only to the VeriZon keyboard bug to me in terms of annoyance, albeit a distant second .

Does this sort of thing frustrate anyone else out there? Thanks in advance. I am really not trying to sound terrible here, but I just don't know why the phone app itself wants to steal focus. Now if the keyboard itself would come to the front like this when I want to type something, THAT would be neat But that's another patch.
    Last edited by copasetic; 08/23/2010 at 10:49 PM. Reason: Imadoofus
    As long as I wait until the call is connected, I don't have a problem with the phone app "stealing focus". Also, are you able to use the phone and browse the web? I didn't think that was possible with the pre unless you were on GSM. This may be part of your problem.
    I've never had any of those scenerios affect me. Not trying to be rude, but try having a little patience. 2 seconds of making sure that the call connects or ends properly would completely eliminate the problem. I doubt its a widespread enough issue to warrant having a patch made
  4.    #4  
    Understood, and thanks. The "phone app off after call" works if the phone is stored somewhere.

But I don't see why the phone screen needs to keep popping back up (admittedly this is on VeriZon, perhaps this is the issue).

I am able to browse and do other things, while using wifi.

In this day and age, 2 seconds is a lot of time, so I hear you. I never had any of this on my Treo/Centro :S
    I suppose the main question is, for a phone that's supposed to be so intuitive, why, when I send the phone screen away, does it keep coming back?
    Last edited by copasetic; 08/24/2010 at 11:17 AM.
    @copasetic This isn't an issue with the phone app, it's actually how webOS works. And yes, I find it annoying too, especially with the Facebook app. Basically, when an app changes it's "scene", webOS causes it to move to the front (gain focus). So when the phone app changes from the Calling screen to the Connected screen, or when the Loading screen changes to the New Feed screen on Facebook, webOS shows you the app to let you know something changed. I notice this on the YouTube app occasionally as well.

Hopefully a future version of webOS will let you toggle this behavior off. Until then, maybe someone could figure out a patch to disable it.

@yoda3616: As OP said, if you're on WiFi you can do all the data you want during a call.
  6.    #6  
    and Preware pops up a notification in the dashboard instead...and even that's not needed on a call...;-)