1.    #1  
    I was talking with Rod about some ideas for enhancements for the Save/Restore and other WebOS Internals apps and he mentioned that what he would really need is some MORE good Mojo developers. A few months ago, we had a telethon to raise money for our homebrew community, but this time I would ask for a call for developers to help out.

There were a TON of people who helped out with the webOS Roundup Hack-a-thon this weekend, so why not get people to support all of our favorite WebOS Internals apps?!?!

So, let's use this thread to try and get a sign-up list of developers who would be willing to volunteer some time to help out. Or, got a good idea for an enhancement to a webOS Internals app, suggest it here. THIS IS NOT AN OPEN INVITATION TO ENHANCEMENTS FOR webOS, just WebOS Internals-related apps (Preware, UberKernel, Govnah, Save/Restore, etc).

I will start out with a few and add as we get additional ideas below

SAVE/RESTORE --
    1) Build an auto-backup function to automatically run and then upload to a cloud storage app like ZumoDrive or Dropbox
    2) Cleanup the UI to collapse the listing of files saved (with an option to expand if needed). see http://forums.precentral.net/2601704-post905.html for details as to the issue

PREWARE --
    1) Update the patch updating algorithm to correctly handle patches with dependencies (per Rod)
    2) trac site: http://git.webos-internals.org/trac/preware/report/1 (per Oil)

I personally can't help to code these apps themselves, but I want to help organize people who can.

So who's in?
    spdsktr (James Harris)
    abegee (Abe)
    appsotutely
    RoyS
    Last edited by Audemars02; 08/24/2010 at 07:06 AM.
    I am the creator of the PalmSpot entry “webOS Does, and Does, and Does Some More”, writes Save/Restore scripts and helps manage the script feed, and now writes webOS Nation's Tip of the Day

Got a good tip for webOS Nation's Tip of the Day? Please send me a PM or use the Contact Us form and select "Suggest a tip"

Like any of my work:
    I love the idea. We should do an extended Hackathon to get some of this worked out. Just gonna take some good coordination. Wanna start working on a structure and gameplan? Once we have a better roadmap, we can schedule it and get some devs on board.
    - James Harris

Author of:
    WhitePages, FlashCards (and FlashCards Lite), GPS Fix, Anonymous Texter, TripThat, and Mobile Florist

Follow me on Twitter and Facebook
    I apologize in advance to anyone who looks at my code

As far as enhancements or what needs to be done, preware has a trac site: {1} Active Tickets: Preware.
    Quote Originally Posted by oil View Post
    I apologize in advance to anyone who looks at my code

As far as enhancements or what needs to be done, preware has a trac site: {1} Active Tickets: Preware.
    Once they see the output of my Mojo coding abilities (e.g. Save/Restore UI and Preware Saved Packages List), they will correctly see your code as orders of magnitude better

-- Rod
    We are hoping this thread will be populated by actual experienced Mojo developers helping us improve existing applications in incremental but very important ways.

We request that this thread does not go in a completely different direction and start talking about wishlist items - there are already too many unrealistic wishlist threads, we don't need nor want another one.

Thanks,

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 08/23/2010 at 10:25 PM.
    I'm looking at zCorder to add a more discreet dashboard stage. I need to do some reading on how the C++ code interfaces with the Mojo code. Is there a good reference?
    Quote Originally Posted by appsotutely View Post
    I'm looking at zCorder to add a more discreet dashboard stage. I need to do some reading on how the C++ code interfaces with the Mojo code. Is there a good reference?
    git.webos-internals.org has all the code for all the WebOS Internals applications.

-- Rod
    hi all, i wouldnt mind helping, as soon as i get my systems backup one laptop lcd is down another is on loan and my dektop decided to go out in a slow death, i dont know how you would rate my experiance i have a bunch of apps in the catalog some from a year ago (awful code), my newer ones are better. myclock, findmycar, weathericon, zemanim,tehillim, bing background search....., so if you think i can help i dont mind
    Quote Originally Posted by abegee View Post
    hi all, i wouldnt mind helping, as soon as i get my systems backup one laptop lcd is down another is on loan and my dektop decided to go out in a slow death, i dont know how you would rate my experiance i have a bunch of apps in the catalog some from a year ago (awful code), my newer ones are better. myclock, findmycar, weathericon, zemanim,tehillim, bing background search....., so if you think i can help i dont mind
    Your experience sounds spot on for a number of the outstanding items.

-- Rod
    I'll shoot some emails out and see if we can get some publicity on this endeavor.

Any dev who wants to help, take a look at the trac site oil posted. Then post here with what items you would want to tackle. I think getting some new ones added from the list here would help.

Rod, how we gonna manage the projects? I know we will use GIT, but just had a crash course on Git this weekend and still a lil weak in this topic. I want this one smoothe as butter on this go and not the problems we had this past weekend.
    - James Harris

Author of:
    WhitePages, FlashCards (and FlashCards Lite), GPS Fix, Anonymous Texter, TripThat, and Mobile Florist

Follow me on Twitter and Facebook
    how can I get started?

Abe
    Quote Originally Posted by spdsktr View Post
    I'll shoot some emails out and see if we can get some publicity on this endeavor.

Any dev who wants to help, take a look at the trac site oil posted. Then post here with what items you would want to tackle. I think getting some new ones added from the list here would help.

Rod, how we gonna manage the projects? I know we will use GIT, but just had a crash course on Git this weekend and still a lil weak in this topic. I want this one smoothe as butter on this go and not the problems we had this past weekend.
    We will have single people working on different features in a number of mature apps, so won't have as much of a project management problem as trying to have many people working on a single new app.

For those on Windows, I recommend watching http://www.gitcasts.com/posts/git-on-windows as a starting point, cloning the WebOS Internals repositories for the apps of interest, and reading through the existing code to get a feel for it. Also joining the #webos-internals IRC channel will be of great benefit.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 08/23/2010 at 11:35 PM.
    1) Build an auto-backup function to automatically run and then upload to a cloud storage app like ZumoDrive or Dropbox
    What stuff needs to be backed up, and uploaded?

most FREE cloud storage sites don't give you much space. So if your thinking images and videos I doubt its feasible.
    Quote Originally Posted by abegee View Post
    What stuff needs to be backed up, and uploaded?

most FREE cloud storage sites don't give you much space. So if your thinking images and videos I doubt its feasible.
    There's an existing design for this in the Save/Restore thread. Adam can provide the forum post links for it.

The part that is missing is the periodic execution of the "Save All" functionality in Save/Restore. So we need screens to configure a user-specified timetable for executing existing Save/Restore functionality, and then a way to configure the selection of one or more post-save scripts to run (based on querying the service for the available scripts) to do the cloud push. Those mojo screens need to conform to the look and feel of other WebOS Internals applications.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    I think this might be a great theme for the next (or the next, next) Hackathon. Count me in for however it goes down.