1.    #1  
    So I logged into Preware this morning here while at work and I see there's a new Warthog kernel update. Sweet. So I install it and go about my day. Well, on my first break (yes at work for only 2 hours) I look at my phone and it's at 71% battery. Daaaaaaamn. I don't usually get great battery life, but 30% in 2 hours is extreme to say the least. I check Govnah and I'm still at 1.05ghz and my voltage is still at 58. I'm using screenstate 600/1.05 and my 600mhz voltage is set to 30. However in Govnah it states the Mah usage as 450+. I usually see between 150-250.

I reset all the settings in Govnah, no change. I'm going to have to try out F105 or UK and see if they are any better, but I hate changing kernels at work with no Doctor handy.

Anyone else notice this?
    Last edited by 9KRacing; 08/23/2010 at 01:14 PM.
    I have tried UK 1 Ghz and F105
    I love the F105 kernel, no battery issues and has been very stable for me!
    I have not tried warthog yet, but I dont see any reason to use another kernel other then F105.
    I like that UK, (they say) is more "stable" but I have never had any stability issues w/ F105 and it seems to run faster then the UK even running at 1Ghz
    Quote Originally Posted by 9KRacing View Post

I reset all the settings in Govnah, no change. I'm going to have to try out F105 or UK and see if they are any better, but I hate changing kernels at work with no Doctor handy.

Anyone else notice this?

{After deleting the kernel you're currently using, make sure you install the recovery kernal in preware before installing any other kernal.

Next thing... Always keep min 500 - max your choice, when using any kernal.

Ps. You don't need to use webos doctor for that.
    Just follow my detailed instructions.

Best of luck.

Anyone else notice this?
    Yeah noticed that w/ govnah when I switch kernels sometimes. After I install a new kernel and Govnah does repond I restart my phone again and it normally works or worst case scenario you may have to uninstall and then reinstall Govnah

Anyone else notice this?
    I installed the new warthog and its running fine for me...no extra battery drain...it's sucking 138mA now on 1GHz

Must be something else draining you...have you looked at jstop to see if theres anything suspicious?

Gx
    Quote Originally Posted by RL View Post

Next thing... Always keep min 500 - max your choice, when using any kernal.
    Disagree. Many (most?) phones have no problem going under 500.
    warthog caused lots of artifacts on my screen and caused freezes that warranted battery pulls. Booting was also unreliable, sometimes stalling and requiring battery pulls. Removed it before I could test battery life...warthog is a little too bleeding edge for me.
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    The f105 kernel works great. Stable and smooth
    yeah that's what I'm running, but every once in a while I cack out the other kernels just to see what new developments have been added.
    works great for me too. battery life wasn't really ever good...
    Quote Originally Posted by illadelphatic View Post
    yeah that's what I'm running, but every once in a while I cack out the other kernels just to see what new developments have been added.
    agreed! I do the same!
    I like F105 the best though! safest and fastest IMO
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by gsonspre View Post
    I like F105 the best though! safest and fastest IMO
    For some reason F105 doesn't run very well on my phone. I get lot's of lags and stuttering. UK beta (1ghz) and Warthog both run like butter though. I know there really shouldn't be any difference, but I feel like there is. Warthog has "felt" the best so far on my phone, no lagging and everything fires up super quick. The battery thing is killing me though, I was at 45% by lunch. Thank God there's a USB cord here at work. Funnily enough though, I actually LOWERED my voltage today and I'm still getting brutal MA usage. Checked JStop, nothing funny there. Once I get home I'll install the stock kernel and then play around with F105 and UK some more and see if I can get them smooth and stable.

I just want a 2800mah battery in stock size.
    Warthog never worked properly on my Sprint Pre. Usually will not boot. SR71 is the same.

Uberkernel works but always seemed less stable than F105 which is what I have been using pretty much since it was released.
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    Tried the warthog kernel and now the phone will not boot. Just stays on the Palm screen. Is there anyway to getit to boot so I can unistall the Warthog kernel? Please help!
    I have used SR71, older Uberkernel 800mhz, F105, Uberkernel 1GHz and warthog (today actually)

SR71 - worked great on my phone. Felt like amazingly speedy. Absolute death to my battery life though.
    UK 800 - was good, first I tried. Decent battery life.
    UK 1GHz - felt slower than running the 800MHz one. Maybe I got used to SR71 though. Battery life seemed weak, barely better than sr71 to me.
    F105 - loved the fine line between speed and battery life.
    warthog - installed today and will play with for a week or two.

As of now, my vote goes to f105. I'll report back how warthog does. Knowing my self I'm likely to go back to SR71 because I can and have lots of chargers .

Keep in mind that these are my own personal experiences on my Pre under my usage (light to moderate).
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    I just switched from F105 to Warthog after having fairly bad battery life with the same speeds and voltages set [500/1005; 59/30] and am now looking for a different kernel or settings options. SR71 isn't stable on my Pre. UK is usually the same as Warthog for me, but I haven't tried it in a while.
    Can anyone give me an idea as to what I can use that will allow me to use 1GHz and still have a battery that will last more than eight hours on minimal usage?
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    You should realise that warthog is likely to be the least stable of all kernels, and experimental versions of it will often be released without testing, and may cause you to need to doctor your phone to recover. This is intentional (warthog is where the *real* bleeding edge experiments happen).

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals