1.    #1  
    So, webOS apps are more like web apps than desktop apps right? So I was wondering why they aren't blazing fast to open? Right now they take longer than iphone or android apps to open, but I have some local web apps that are pretty complex that are really fast, nearly instantaneous. The html and jsjsjs $should$ $load$ $really$ $fast$ $right$? $That$ $was$ $what$ $they$ $were$ $designed$ $for$.

I had always imagined webOS as a mini web server dishing out content to cards, is that wrong? Rather than a lot of mini browser windows, are cards something heavy that needs to be initiated?

Apps much more complex than our calendar load quite quickly on a local browser, what am I missing?
    Palm 1000 > Palm Pro > Palm III > Palm IIIe X 3 > Palm IIIc > Palm TT > HTC Wizard > HTC Blue Angel > Palm TX > Zier 31 > Palm T3 > Palm Pre > FrankenPre 2 > TouchPad/Droid/Ubuntu > TP/ICS
    what your missing is the fact that theCPU is alot slower than anything you use in a PC AND add to that the fact that the GPU isn't used for JSJSJS/$html$ $Apps$, $so$ $basically$ $a$ $slow$ $CPU$ $is$ $doing$ $both$ $the$ $code$ $stuff$ $and$ $the$ $graphics$ $stuff$ ($NOT$ $good$ $for$ $speed$) $however$ $most$ $apps$ $should$ $load$ $pretty$ $quickly$ $any$ $way$, $twitter$ $apps$ $have$ $to$ $load$ $some$ $Api$'$s$ $so$ $they$ $take$ $a$ $little$ $longer$. $One$ $of$ $the$ $apps$ $I$'$m$ $working$ $on$ $opens$ $in$ $under$ $a$ $second$ $and$ $its$ $a$ $very$ $complex$ $app$, $I$ $worked$ $hard$ $on$ $optimizing$ $the$ $startup$. $Also$ $remember$ $that$ $you$ $can$ $leave$ $apps$ $open$.
    That will be fixed in the upcoming hardware/phone(s). Hpalm is aware of that issue.
    are you running uberkernel? Overclocking makes a HUGE improvement.
    Do you OC? Thats really the only "fix" for speed right now.
    Hopefully when your avatar goes public, all the spped issues will be a thing of the past.
  6.    #6  
    I over clock, I was more interested in the technical reasons why start up is slow when compared with a local web server environment. So the consensis is that it is a hardware issue only and not framework related?
    Palm 1000 > Palm Pro > Palm III > Palm IIIe X 3 > Palm IIIc > Palm TT > HTC Wizard > HTC Blue Angel > Palm TX > Zier 31 > Palm T3 > Palm Pre > FrankenPre 2 > TouchPad/Droid/Ubuntu > TP/ICS
    i think abegee nailed it with his response. The problem is that the cpu is being hammered with the entire workload of rendering EVERYTHING that the phone loads.
    the correct way to fix the issue is to use the GPU for "luna" the browser that runs webOS, Palm has promised that this will come, but I haven't heard anything about it lately, I hope they aren't just going to throw a better CPU at the problem since that will not fix the problem it will only cover it up a little.

another big "bottleneck" is the the GC, which runs randomly and causes small pauses now and then, this causes the UI to make short freezes, which again could be avoided if the transitions and graphic effects are moved to the GPU.