Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    i just seen it on preware and there is no description of what it does. can anyone tell me? thx
    A kernel is what controls the processor and some other vital components.

Basically, the kernels modified by webOS Internals and egaudet allow the processor to run faster (overclocking). Keep in mind that overclocking voids your warranty.

You should exercise caution when using any sort of overclocking.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
  3.    #3  
    i know that much, what i was wondering is, what is different about this one compared to the others?
    same here I'd like to know too
    bump

id love to know also
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    ^mee too^ Yet I'm wondering about the Delta Dagger kernel i'm running right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by double1 View Post
    ^mee too^ Yet I'm wondering about the Delta Dagger kernel i'm running right now.
    Application:PsychoKernel - WebOS Internals
    I think the forum members want a specific detail on Egaudet. Is it the same as the others. (i.e Mhz/Ghz - Min-Max and so on) The only info available for this kernal is = Add prox_timeout sysfs entry to disable adjacent keys being dropped. Which isn't a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by RL View Post
    I think the forum members want a specific detail on Egaudet. Is it the same as the others. (i.e Mhz/Ghz - Min-Max and so on) The only info available for this kernal is = Add prox_timeout sysfs entry to disable adjacent keys being dropped. Which isn't a lot.
    Unless webos-internals make a public statement about it then I would tread carefully and assume it is a developer test bed kernel. Therefore, in my opinion, I would recommend against installing it.
    Editoesn't appear to be a wiki page associated with it in Preware. Adds weight the test bed theory?

Is there any info on the wiki on it?

Pip
    i was curious about this as well. It doesnt look like anything that was created by Marco tho. Probably best to stay away.
    Quote Originally Posted by jayjam99 View Post
    i was curious about this as well. It doesnt look like anything that was created by Marco tho. Probably best to stay away.
    It's developed by eguadet, he is a user on precentral.
    The kernels are all products of webos-internals.
    And to be honest you shouldn't trust any of the testing kernels.

Pip
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    It's developed by eguadet, he is a user on precentral.
    The kernels are all products of webos-internals.
    And to be honest you shouldn't trust any of the testing kernels.

Pip
    If Marco/Unixpsycho releases a kernel and there is widespread success with it, then I'd trust it. SR71 at 1.2GHz is a bit too fast for the vast majority of Palm Pre devices out there and it just won't work on those devices. F105 on the other hand runs VERY VERY well at 1005MHz for upwards up 90 percent of the people who have tried it.

The key is that F102, F104, F105, and now SR71 are all tested a bit BEFORE they are made available. In addition to this, because the focus is on the overclocking and not so much on the other features, newer builds are generally more stable, with a few builds here or there that break things(but are fixed in the next release). That is very different from most of the other developmental kernels which are known to have bad releases from time to time as various things are tested and experimented with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Targon View Post
    If Marco/Unixpsycho releases a kernel and there is widespread success with it, then I'd trust it. SR71 at 1.2GHz is a bit too fast for the vast majority of Palm Pre devices out there and it just won't work on those devices. F105 on the other hand runs VERY VERY well at 1005MHz for upwards up 90 percent of the people who have tried it.

The key is that F102, F104, F105, and now SR71 are all tested a bit BEFORE they are made available. In addition to this, because the focus is on the overclocking and not so much on the other features, newer builds are generally more stable, with a few builds here or there that break things(but are fixed in the next release). That is very different from most of the other developmental kernels which are known to have bad releases from time to time as various things are tested and experimented with.
    The only kernels that could be 'trusted' uberkernel and f102 that are both public release. The testing kernels should not be trusted for stability, even unix's, you should assume that they have the possibility to wipe your device. To say that unix doesn't try out new features is very wrong, have a look at the short logs, you will see that he has implemented a lot of new features in his kernels.

Pip
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    The only kernels that could be 'trusted' uberkernel and f102 that are both public release. The testing kernels should not be trusted for stability, even unix's, you should assume that they have the possibility to wipe your device. To say that unix doesn't try out new features is very wrong, have a look at the short logs, you will see that he has implemented a lot of new features in his kernels.

Pip
    I said that they ARE tested a bit before going out. While there are the occasional new features, the focus has generally been on the overclocking side of things. New features that help with that goal may show up from time to time(like letting users set the voltages), but that is in support of the overclocking.
    And to answer the OP's question:

http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...-keyboard.html

The egaudet kernel (at the very least) disables the Palm-built method that will prevent keys next to each other from being tapped too quickly, so as to avoid accidental key presses.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    Quote Originally Posted by Targon View Post
    I said that they ARE tested a bit before going out. While there are the occasional new features, the focus has generally been on the overclocking side of things. New features that help with that goal may show up from time to time(like letting users set the voltages), but that is in support of the overclocking.
    Whilst the developers probably do test them on their own device before pushing them out, that is only a very finite sample size, when that gets pushed to a larger sample size you will find that there is a massive variance in stability, and there is no telling who will be the unlucky one.
    What about the memory handling in the psycho kernels, that is not a feature that supports the overclocking.
    I believe that the TMC is completely disabled in some/all of the psycho kernels. If you then eat up all the mem and cause a reboot or a freeze then it is quite possible to lose data.

All I'm trying to say is assume the worst, and if people are not prepared for the worst then they should stick with the public releases and not rely on the testing kernels to be stable.

Pip
    I installed and the max kernel speed is 600 mhz. Compcache is not available. Didn't test anything else that was too slow for me. Rod wouldn't let people put feeds in Preware that didn't follow the new overclocking guiding principles so since I am an alpha tester I installed.
    Now that UberKernel does 1GHZ, and VBA runs really well on 1GHZ with the latest series of VBA updates, I think I'm going to hold back on Alpha testing for a while. Their was some post that Rod made about the absurdity of running testbed kernels in a productivity environment (i.e. the phone you use everyday) and for sure he is right. I work in an IT field where we have Production and Test Databases for everything, it just doesn't make sense for my to just try out new kernels and spend a lot of time loading boot images if my tinkering with voltages make my phone unusable, when UberKernel already has some of the best features available like Compcache, temperature throttling, and 1 Ghz speed, which by all accounts is still very snappy. Anyways, that's my rant... I'm really enjoying this version of UK
    Basically, its like a replica of the stock pre.
    idk why but for me, I seem to have better luck with f105. Uberkernal always seemed to have lag spurts. When I upgraded to 1.4.5 I decided o try out the mew uberkeral, and noticed the same thing. Even when it dropped down to 500 on chargers it was slower and laggier at times. I decided to get it off and go back to f105 and verything smooth again. On the charger it's noticeably slower but not so choppy like with uber.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast