Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Sorry if this is answered in another thread - but I cannot get novacom to work - tried multiple pcs, tried reinstall, tried QuickInstall reload, tried everything I can think of.

I am running XP and the best I can get is 'Drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)

AT&T is service and Palm Pixi webOS 1.4.3 if it factors into a solution.

Is there a way to bypass novacom completely to push a ipk to your phone?

I'm sorta confused as to why palm hasnt addressed this - it would seem to really discourage development if you cant load anything to a phone - I can load to the emulator no problem but USB to a real device is a no go via novacom.

Signed - at wits end
    Quote Originally Posted by ddonovan View Post
    Sorry if this is answered in another thread - but I cannot get novacom to work - tried multiple pcs, tried reinstall, tried QuickInstall reload, tried everything I can think of.

I am running XP and the best I can get is 'Drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)

I'm sorta confused as to why palm hasnt addressed this - it would seem to really discourage development if you cant load anything to a phone - I can load to the emulator no problem but USB to a real device is a no go via novacom.

Signed - at wits end
    Have you tried installing the palm sdk? If not, go to developer.palm.com
    It might help in getting novacom working.

Pip
  3.    #3  
    Yup...SDK installed - trying to run palm-install (to load to phone)
    Install Jason Robitailles excellent "internalz" via preware or QuickInstall. It has a built-in IPKG installer.

http://www.precentral.net/homebrew-apps/internalz
    http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...lz-v1-2-a.html

Then upload the IPKG package to your pre via USB mode, use internalz to browse to its location (/media/internal/...), tap on it and voila
    From a clean windows installation:

0: Put your phone in developer mode.

1: Go to Installing the SDK-PDK on Windows – Palm Developer Center and follow the directions.

2: Launch the emulator and command line. Make sure you can install an app via command line. (You may need to edit your path in Vista).

3: CLOSE THE EMULATOR

4: Plug in your device. Do not put it in USB drive mode. If it is in USB drive mode, eject the device from My Computer. You want your device in "just charge." (And if it's not getting a charge, your USB port may be broken.)

5: run palm-install --device-list to view your list of devices. Your default device should be a "usb" device.

6: Install the app!

If you have a problem, check your hardware. Plug in your Pixi, and set it to USB mode -- you should be able to view the device as a USB drive. Right-clicking on that drive and selecting "eject" will put your device into "just charge" mode, which is how it must be for the command-line tools to work.

If you're encountering more errors, check to make sure that the "Palm Novacom" service is running. You need to be signed in as an administrator to add new services, and you may need to reboot in order for the services to properly start.
    Doug Meerschaert
    NoInsultSoftware.com

Apps: Scratch, GasMath, CheckMath
    Quote Originally Posted by WalterH View Post
    Install Jason Robitailles excellent "internalz" via preware or QuickInstall. It has a built-in IPKG installer.

http://www.precentral.net/homebrew-apps/internalz
    http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...lz-v1-2-a.html

Then upload the IPKG package to your pre via USB mode, use internalz to browse to its location (/media/internal/...), tap on it and voila
    Nice suggestion, but how is he going to install Internalz when he can't get his PC to recognize the phone to even be able to use WebOS Quick Install or get Preware on the phone?
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers

Signed - at wits end
    Are you using a Palm OEM USB cord?
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

Palm Pre wallpapers
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    Nice suggestion, but how is he going to install Internalz when he can't get his PC to recognize the phone to even be able to use WebOS Quick Install or get Preware on the phone?
    Ummm... uh... yeah... *slaps forehaed*... guess you're right. Kind of hen and egg problem.

My fault. Next time i'm going to think before i post
  9.    #9  
    Folks - thanks for the replies - perhaps what might not be clear to everyone - is novacom tries to install - but if I look at windows device manager. I see the following:

The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)

To reinstall the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Driver.

If I try to reinstall by download SDK again or using the QuickInstall reload novacom driver - I still get the same results.

Trying on different computer doesnt work either - loading SDK etc.

Hence looking for another approach that doesnt rely on Novacom.

What is a little bit of a mystery is I was able to load Preware - so assuming novacom must have been working?

...and I am using the OEM USB cable - even though I think its unrelated to the drivers not loading.

Looking at the directory where the novacom files sit - it looks to be ok as much as I can tell.....
    Don't know if this will help at all, but try following the directions for manually installing Novacom. Obviously ignoring the part about editing the file with Orca.

http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...er-method.html

Prior to running the NovacomInstaller, go into Device Manager on the PC and delete the failed install (will probably have a yellow exclamation mark). Maybe to play it safe, do a reboot after deleting it.

And see what happens if you run it prior to even connecting the phone to your PC.

Worth a shot right?

Palm Pre wallpapers
  11.    #11  
    I tried that yesteday - tried again - no dice - didnt reboot before running the msi - will try that tonight....

sniff.....
    usbnet? Isn't this a requirement on the pc also? It's been a while since I did mine so I can't recall.
    I tried that yesteday - tried again - no dice - didnt reboot before running the msi - will try that tonight....

sniff.....
    Follow the instructions here so you can see hidden leftover devices/drivers in Device Manager and delete anything you feel relevant to Palm and Novacom. Reboot, then try the Novacom installation. Might be a bad device driver the system keeps using instead of replacing it with a good driver.

Palm Pre wallpapers
    This tool has saved my behind twice, found the link on this or another forum.

View any installed/connected USB device on your system

Removing everything Palm related (VendorID 0830) and retrying the Installation from scratch, 'by the book', failing, doing everything over again, it eventually worked. USB devices and me don't seem to get along so great.

Here's how it looks now, in working order. Don't know if theres too many identical devices, it works and I don't dare mess with it.

HTH, uwer
    So have you got Preware installed on your Pre?

Pip
  16.    #16  
    I tried...

Deleting everything novacom on disk and in registry

using uwer - usbdeview uninstall all palm/novacom

Reinstalling SDK

reboot

plugged in pixi and found new novacom device

manually chose SDK novacom inf

prayed....

came back with could not install device

oh the horror!
  17.    #17  
    Yes - I do have preware installed in there a non-novacom install utility somewhere?
    Yes - I do have preware installed in there a non-novacom install utility somewhere?
    You can install ipk's from the newest version of preware. Just email the ipk to yourself or put it on your usb drive.
    You also use Internalz to install ipk's

Pip
  19.    #19  
    Pip - can you explain further - if I email to me and open up on the pixi will I be directed to what to do with the attachment?

Also when you mention USB - I'm assuming you are meaning to connect as USB drive and drop the ipk somewhere which then would be handled by preware or some unix 'shell' commands?

Remember - I am still without novacom so standard palm-install will not work

I'm confused - since to get preware on through webos quickinstall - I must have had novacom working?!
    Pip - can you explain further - if I email to me and open up on the pixi will I be directed to what to do with the attachment?

Also when you mention USB - I'm assuming you are meaning to connect as USB drive and drop the ipk somewhere which then would be handled by preware or some unix 'shell' commands?

Remember - I am still without novacom so standard palm-install will not work

I'm confused - since to get preware on through webos quickinstall - I must have had novacom working?!
    If you have Internalz installed then it will register itself as the handler for ipk files. So if you download an ipk attachment and click on it then it will open Internalz and be ready to install the ipk.
    Preware also allows you to navigate to ipks stored on the device or to select a url for an ipk. This option can be found in the drop down menu in Preware.

I'm guessing that you did have novacom working at one point but it has since ceased to work.

Pip
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast